Upgrade?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
OLD < BUY?

I'm thinking my current GPU is dying down. As summer aproaches again, my computer just keeps on stutereing more and more whenver I play games. Then eventually crash in a very short period of time.

So I really am thinking about buying a new GPU (320 MB is just outdated). And the one I posted in above seems to be worth it.

Any thoughts?

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Wait until the 400 series comes out within the next month or two and get one of those!
Or get a new computer with one of those!
Or maybe it'll make prices come down on the other cards.
Either way, PROFIT!!!! :D

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It seems completely ridiculous to buy a gtx260 when the 5850 exists. Yeah, it costs more money (an extra $80+), but it obliterates it in performance and is more forward looking (depending on how well DX11 catches on).

~Jason

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It seems completely ridiculous to buy a gtx260 when the 5850 exists. Yeah, it costs more money (an extra $80+), but it obliterates it in performance and is more forward looking (depending on how well DX11 catches on).

Fair enough, I've failed once with buying GPU's, I do not wish to get on that again. Keep the suggestions coming.

What about the 400 series card? Are they going to be expensive?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I suppose I could keep an eye on this one. I just find it rather expensive, considering there isn't all that many games to play lately on the PC, and that I have more important manners in my life to deal with.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Yes. Right now only the 480 is really being talked about (expect $400+ like the 5870), but the 470 is also in line for coming out soonish (expect similar to the 4850). We don't really know much else outside of that, however. Nvidia is claiming that it handles tessellation better (which is good, because it essentially amounts to parallel occlusion mapping with a MUCH higher impact), so it MAY be worth waiting, but cheap is not happening before summer, I would guess.

~Jason

edit: for some reason Newegg has almost zero 5850s in stock. When they come back there are a plethora for $300.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Get Radeon 5850 from Sapphire, ASUS or some other well known vendor, you won't regret that, it's a beast.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I would certainly try to sell it, if not give it. AFAIK the last time I saw a similar version of this card (The actually improved version of the 8800 GTS) you could get it for less than 100. Now with this in mind, mine being the old version, used, and only 320MB... probably makes it valuable for 30-40 bucks.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'd probably get this one (GTX-280, this may be the exact card I have right now but not completely sure, looks like the only EVGA GTX-280 left at newegg though):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130493

...but that's quite a difference in price between the 260 and 280. Depends on how desperate you are for a video card now. Oh, yeh, just saw your link.....or you could just keep an eye on that 5850 you're looking at.:)

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Wait for a PC game you actually NEED to play to keep your sanity. A game so awesome that you would have it's babies if asked. Only then a new GPU would be worthwhile.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
@Kantham, if you ask me, GTX260 is a great deal and graphic card. This card is capable to run every game at good details or even the highest details. However, if you wanna play games like Crysis or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. at full DX10 features, you need something better like GTX295, otherwise a GTX260 makes a lot of sense. Buying a 5850 or higher, for what the hell? That's a card with features that make no sense. DX11, Tessellation, Soft Shadows blablala and so on, these features aren't that huge difference(s). At least they only cost more money. Of course, soon there will be the new series by Nvidia, Fermi and GTX470/480 and so, but let's see about that. Perhaps it makes only sense, if you play games on DX11 and so. If you treat a card well, it gonna stay for some time alive, if you know what I mean. Get a GTX260 and that's it or if you have more money, then it is up to you, what you want, GTX260-GTX295 or something by ATI.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

Well the initial batch of 400 series cards are going to be the high end cards, so yeah they'll be pricey. What PSU do you have?

Personally I'd grab a 5850 if you can instead of waiting if you don't care about brand loyalty.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'd stick to waiting. I've been hanging on to my 9800GT for quite some time (it was an 8800 Ultra when first purchased two years ago but I had to replace it after mystery windows issues), and I'm not expecting to need to replace it for at least a year or more.

The HD57/8s are some good hardware if you absolutely must upgrade, but bear in mind that Dx11 support isn't going to be required for a fair while yet, so is it worth shelling out for an expensive upgrade?