Another clan drops out from the ILCR and from Inf!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fenris

[-I-]Fenris
Aug 4, 1999
Hamburg,Germany
www.inforcers.org
Well, I can assure you I am alive and modeling every free minute I have and it's already a bunch of fun to *beep* or even *beep* or best even *beep*... Oh, and yes, I am on the team...

P.S. Beeps are self-inserted, no evil moderators here...

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
{GD}Ghost said:
they are going to have to be a few steps behind some of the most current games out, not light years.
Yeah, right, we're going to hire John Carmack. He'll code a nice engine just for us. This way we can beat the **** out of HL2. Good mods *have* to lag behind games, otherwise they are just botched released ;)

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
{GD}Ghost said:
If their goal is online entertainment for its past, present and future fans, they need to tailor the INF goal to include some of the newest gaming features that are included in some of the newest games. People are expecting more from games these days. A game that only uses maps the size of a few city blocks are beginning to be a thing of the past. Many people want the feel of a real military unit in the field....a field in which you cannot see off the edges or reach the ends of during regular game play.

I feel very sad about the fact clans/players leaving the community as well. Beeing stuck offline with a crappy dialup since INF 2.71 I waited forever to get DSL (and release of 2.9) just until some month ago. I was looking forward to get fully involved into online gaming, cosindered joining a clan etc., just to find out the community is rather dying than making a huge breakthrough with 2.9. I also feel very sorry for the team, their work not getting the attention and success it deserves.

But I partly disagree with all this demand for a new engine. Of course fully polished INF 3.0 on FarCry or UT2004 engine will attract a lot of people in the first place, but the release is at minimum 2 years in the future (when people will be atracted by even nicer visuals/features) and until the new INF matches 2.9 gameplay ways, the community will spit up between 2.9 and 3.0. Just look at some other MODs:

CS is based on an even older engine and it has no unique features to offer. Compared to INF the whole visuals and the entire package is definitely subpar. Still CS has about the number of leagues we have clans and more clans we have players! Not everything about the CS community is something to be envious of, but beeing able to play any variant of the game at any time of day and night on a large variety of servers is something very admirable. Hell people can make a living solely of playing CS and the INF Dev team is hardly getting a penny for all their efforts! Life can be so unfair :(

Same with TO. Beeing basically a pure CS clone on the same UT99 engine we are stuck with atm they have way more players. A German gaming mag is currently running 4 league events: TO, CS, BF1942 and Warcraft 3. Not Farcry, UT2003/4... etc. It can't be just the engine!

Although not beeing extremly mainstream compatible INF deserves to do a hell of a lot better. I guess the team knows they have not been 100% lucky with timing and therefor with PR and Reviews in Game Mags. I believe there are a lot of hardcore 'realism shooter' fans (however youz define that) out there that haven't even heard of INF. On my private little crusade I tried to drag every gamer I know to INF on lanparties etc. After a 15 minute instruction mostly everyone was pretty much excited and able to enjoy INF (even very occasional gamers). Sadly none joined the online community yet (they are mainly LAN/offline players)

So IMHO instead of us whinig about the situation we should try to do our small part to make INF a success: Promote it wherever we can, beeing helpful to noobs and play INF! Furthermore a INF tutorial like Kettch/ geogob/Anonymous suggested here http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=135708 could be really helpful to recruit new players, unfortunately I am lagging all the necessary abilities and the time to learn them...

Cheers

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
We can promote INF all day and all night, but, the facts remain the same. What makes INF unique, is no longer enough to get and keep people interested. Its not about whining, this is simply the fact of the matter.....as sad as it may be. I wish it was different.

CS and TO (god forgive me) caters to a different type of audience and whatever they have, it keeps people coming back and playing it. We could speculate all day on what that "it" factor is, but INF is lacking on the "it" factor these days. INF's "it" factor is not, nor should be the same as CS and TO's (god forgive me), but INF does need an "it" factor other than a few of us die hard fans trying to promote it.

Last edited:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
If INF 3.0 is released for a new engine by the end of the year it will be popular. If not NTKB will be shooting bots and the occasional old timer for the next few years..

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
{GD}NTKB said:
If INF 3.0 is released for a new engine by the end of the year it will be popular. If not NTKB will be shooting bots and the occasional old timer for the next few years..

I think they'll be ok as long as they don't wait 3-5 years to release something....otherwise, we'll be in this same bot shooting and occassional pick up match situation 5 years from now.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Well I really do believe a lot of potential INF fans have never heard of it.

TO and CS were both available as standalone thanks to publisher support and therefor had advertising and reviews in game mags etc.. I am almost sure if INF would have had this treatment with the release of 2.86 we wouldn't lack players right now.

Anybody I introduced to it (and it were about 2 dozens) at least admitted it is superbe work for a mod, especially on the old engine. Especially those Tom Clansy games players (which don't have a huge online community afaik) loved INF out of a box, but it took me introducing to it (none ever heard of it before) helping installing and configuring the stuff and giving a 15 minute tutorial. Some of them are happy to join a INF-only Lan Party any time but hardly any of em like online gaming (dialup etc.). It's not the game itself were INF is lagging its the PR...

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
sir_edmond said:
A jump start for the prossece would be to model high poly models for the new engine.
They do moddles right now.
Fenris posted in different threads that he's working like crazy right now. Beppo tried some things with UT2K4 - testing things - so the team is not dead, they are just setting things out if I got it correctly.