Customisation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Yes, I know many of you purists have already turned your heads away in disgust, but I think it would be cool to have more things like The kevlar helmet - no bulk, no advantages, but just for the look.

There would be a tree of stuff:
(Customisation)
+ Helmet
- Plain
- Goggles
= up
= down
- visor
= up
= down
+ Legs
- Pouches
= left thigh
= right thigh
= right calf
= left calf
+ Hands
- Gloves
= Full
= Finger length
- Scarred
+ Face
- Hair
= Beard
= Tach
= Bear and tach
= Stubble
- Eyes
= Glasses
= Shades

Etc etc

This would require minimal modelling and coding.

Also, does kevlar show up differently for mk2 mk3a and NONE

Each customisation could be added like another object, in its own little tree.

I just think this would make for a nice novelty value and add some mmorpg style customisation and personalisation to your character.

RedMarlin[MERLIN]

Jun 4, 2001
Arizona
www.templeofdawneq.com
Now this is a suggestion I like ( even there have been some in the past hehe)
Id really would like some more character customization. It might even help with teamwork because you can tell who people are from just lookin at them real quick unstead staring at them and waiting for the name to come up. This could help the game out a lot in my opinion and hope to see it in the future.

I don't know bout shades hehe, but I think like knee pads and stuff like that would be pretty cool ;)

Good job cleve ;)

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Yeah, knee pads would be good.

I mean, the object based system for helmets and caps and sht opens a whole world of interesting prospects that dont ruin gameplay!

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Good idea, and it's been suggested before, but...
cleve-ntt said:
This would require minimal modelling and coding.

um...no?

Each little object you mentoned is a model, and the code required would be a few hours worth of coding before the testing and debugging.

But apart from that statment, your suggestion is right on.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Well you could just modify the helmet code, stick in a new model.

Not sure about making it move with the legs, but I am sure you can link it to the skeleton somehow ;)

PS I don't know much about modeling and coding - will let the gurus discuss that :)

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
H&D2 has something broadly similar (as you add ammo and grenades they appear on your webbing in the appropriate pouch/bandolier).

Provided this didn't take too much time away from real features I think more customisable avatars could only be a good thing.

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
kneepads? see my skins on my sig. ALL have kneepads, some have shoulder pads, elbow pads, new tactical vest, goggles and extra pouches. So if you are looking for pure artistic skins, see mine :)

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Yeah, it would be nice if the soldiers were more individualized in terms of recognizing your team mates. It would also be nice to have more voices, so as long as your team isn't too big you don't always have to look up at the chat window to see who just spoke, you could tell by their voice. Plus, voices aren't that work intensive. Of course it takes a bit of time to stick the wavs into the game, but any regular joe can just say commands into a microphone.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Gnam: I can't wait until we have fully integrated voice-chat in INF. That's really the one thing that I have to say HL/CS/DoD got right. Makes it very easy to communicate and work as a team. I hear the next UT2kX will have this built in?

I do agree that more customization of your soldier is cool. But as spm1138 said, I'd only want it if it doesn't beat out other more functional stuff.

Matthew

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
I'd love to have an inventory system based on what you wear, e.g. the amount of pouches you wear determines how many magazines you can easily access before having to reach for your backpack. I'm pretty sure that's hard to do, but it would be great.

Last edited:

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
I think what someone would have to do is write an object generator script.

This would mean that the object could be defined from a few bits of text and a model.

Saving a lot of coding.

I also think Inf should be made patchable, but lets not go there.

-reaper-:
No, that is completely not the point, I want this idea to remain simple, and NOT affect actual gameplay in any way, except by being able to identify your mates etc.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Then we'd also have to model different versions of assault vests and web gear to determine how many pouches you have available before resorting to a backpack... Which could be cool, but adds a whole 'nuther level of complexity.

But it would be cool. Fully user customizable web gear that functions in game? Is that even possible?

Matthew

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
I don't think thes should be related to loadout or gameplay at all.

I think it has more chance of being included if it is kept very very simple.

For sheer customisation.

Also, maybe other things like a logo on the back of ur self and one shoulder but thats a maybe.

Maybe a clan logo on another shoulder.

Yeah, I think having a clan logo on one shoulder would be awesome!

Rattus

Never mess with a RODENT!
Dec 3, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Well, concerning costomisation.. I look forward to "Söldner", one german multiplayer Shooter which should be ready next summer...

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Clan patches would require the clan patches to be consolidated into a file which everyone had, meaning someone has to maintain a database of that stuff. (ugh)

Pieces of equipment may not be impossible, actually, as they DO somehow manage to attach unused weapons to the player's shoulder/chest/holster. They certainly don't have a new playermodel for each.