Bass players and guitar players...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chillinzebra

Nov 14, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Alright, I've found a way that I think may work to build a killer loud amp... and before my guitarist spends any money on a new amp I'd like to hear some opinions of if people think this would work or not

Right here's the plan:

First I get a cheap couple of four hundred watt car speakers (there's a store near my house selling excess ones for 25 bucks a pair)

Next I get a 300 watt or so car amp (selling for about 80 bucks at the same store)

Right, after that I some how get a power supply for the car amp, and next I guess I'd just have to butcher the amp together with an existing amp so I could use the volume control/jack input...

What do you guys think?

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I think it'll sound like crap.

On a bass it *might* work out ok, but the great thing about guitar amps isn't their power, but their tone. A marshall 100 watt halfstack setup sounds completely different when compared to a crate of the same wattage. Tubes, circutry, etc all factor in, and car speakers/amps are designed to be transparent (meaning it does little to no tone-coloring) to reproduce the audio that gets sent through them. Plus, what are you going to do about an EQ? Gain channels?

Chillinzebra

Nov 14, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've had a bit of a change of plans what I'm thinking of doing now is using an existing bass amp (a 15-25 watt peavey micro bass, I'm not exactly sure what wattage it is.) and pluggin the car amp into the head phone jack, and instead of using a 300 watt amp, I think I shall use an 80 watt amp, just as a prototype-ish sort of thing

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
There's two ways of getting a good amp.

The first is to go out and buy one.

The second is to pull out the soldering iron and build it from components (just be carefull if you work with valves ).

Anything else is just about guaranteed to fail.

Chillinzebra

Nov 14, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, 40 bucks isn't that big a blow (the 80 watt one is only 15$), so I think I'll try it anyways :), Hehe, I'll let you know how it turns out.... and on the bright side, if I doesn't work, atleast I'll have an 80 watt car amp and 2 400 watt speakers :D