Will two NICs work in winME..and will it speed up my lan?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

godz

Feb 29, 2000
IN CONSTRUCTION
I just bought a new nic for my main computer, the one I host the ut games on...I had a linksys and bought a 3com, I run a dual boot system so I noticed it became a problem when 3com doesn't have any drivers(not even on their web site) for my new nic to work in windows2000... I know multiple nics will work in win2k... but will they work in windowsME?.. and will it increase the throughput of my network??

Oh well, I might go ahead and do it anyway..........just to see if it will work

godz

Feb 29, 2000
IN CONSTRUCTION
by the way, I just play an in-home lan.... I live in hell.. I mean um... er.. Southern Illinois, so we don't get that fancy "city folk" stuff like dsl and cable service...

Lasker

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
Windows 2000 comes with it's own drivers for 3com cards out of the box, and so does windows Me. I'm running Me right now, and have had no problems getting the 3com to work with the out of the box drivers. I'm not totally sure about this, but I believe that ME can run Multiple NICS.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Multiple NICs work in Win2k and WinME, but I am pretty sure that you cannot use a setup like that to double your banwidth (known as trunking). The multiple NIC capability is for using your box as a router. Also, your hub or switch would have to support trunking.

Although I cannot find this implicitly stated anywhere, I'm almost certain you can't trunk with Windows. If anyone has gotten it to work, please let me know how because I sure as hell haven't done it :)

GlueSniffinEd

Average
Mar 28, 2000
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
Well, Windows 2000 and Windows NT support port trunking (aggregation) natively. Windows ME will also support 2 NIC's....but will not support port aggregation. My suggestion to you for the fastest LAN experience is a 100Mbit setup with an unmanaged switch. Switches are FAR faster than hubs, as they avoid the collision problem associated with hubs that requires packets to be resent on the occurence of a collision. Switches are capable of both transmiting and receiving packets at the same time (full duplex), and are therefore far more efficient. A good 100Mbit setup with switches is capable of supplying ample speed to 1000+ computers on a LAN....so....I seriously doubt that your home LAN setup would stress the 100Mbit unmanaged switch setup at all :)

godz

Feb 29, 2000
IN CONSTRUCTION
Ok...I used to have a hub.... it now sits sleeping underneath my switch....I run a full duplex 100mbps(all my cards support this).. I was just wondering if it would help this computer with ut at all if I put my "extra" nic into the machine that hosts the game...I have a dual boot winme, win2k system.... ut just runs faster in ME than it does in 2k...(cause my 2k installation uses 96mb of my 256mb of memory without any apps running.... doesn't that suck!!!)... Ok. thanx for the feedback...

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Well, you could run all your NetBIOS stuff (Windows Networking) on one NIC (IP address) and use the other NIC (IP address) for UT server.... but I'm not sure if that would actually give you a noticable performance improvment... oh well. Try the bundled Win2K driver as Lasker suggested.