Im gonna bitch now

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
You know, ive noticed something that i find to be a rather bad trend in mods lately. All over the place there are mods right? Well, they all need help. Thats understandable, there arent enough people around that know how to do things. But for some outlandish reason mod leaders decide that having TONS of people on their team is always best. I saw one thats list numbered some like 25 people that they absoultely needed. It was ridiculous. Back in my day mod teams consisted of a coder, a couple mappers, a texture guy (usually one of the mappers doing a double shift) and if youre really lucky a sound guy. None of this webmaster bull****, nobody cares about the webpage. For all matters it could just be a white page with some screenshots every week or so. I think that mod developers have really lost the scope of what a mod is. Its not a thing to try and grab everyones attention with the biggest and best and most eye catching display of your half assed attempt at a CS clone. Its to make an enjoyable experience out of something that everyone has enjoyed to the end. Mods arent about getting loads of mappers, loads of coders, loads of website html monkeys and whatnot. It just seems to me that the whole Mod thing has become a passe buzz word that means alot less than it used to mean. Remember TF for the old Q1? Yeah, how big was that team? And how good did that mod do? how many people have ripped it off because its just so good? And then you look at these others (now, im not picking on any mods right here, theses are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head) like SAS or TO. How big are the teams? How much different are they from tons of other mods out there? i think that its a huge waste having loads of energy being spent on something that is, in the end, just going to be beat out by the next best clone. Its stupid where all the talent is going, mostly into mods that pretend to have new ideas, but are, in the end, just a spin on a played out concept. And then the truly original mods get thrown into the depths of obscurity because these other 'big time' ones are taking up all the space on the news pages because theyve got *ooh* 87 new screenshots of the same stupid item doing the same stupid things. I hate you all.

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
I think its ****ing ridiculous! There are too many of the big time mods trying to sap the community of all the talent. And nobody seems to notice that there happen to be much better ones out there, all they notice are the ones that have any kind of publicity, whether it be a brand name (DBUT or Sin2Ut or, to a lesser extent, PD2UT) or some cliched style (Strike Force, Tactical Ops, SAS, countless others) and its a joke. What ever happened to originality? i say we **** all these other jokers and do something that people (you heard me, 14 year old CS dweebs wont count as people. Youve got to kiss a girl before you can be up for personhood) will actually care about. Noone wants to see mounds of anti terrorist/terrorist mods anymore. They suck. So what if youve got the same 13 guns that everyone else has. Why not flex your brain muscle and make something up on your own?
eat my ass

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I hear you. Many teams are far bigger than they need to be. Fortunately most of the team is normally mappers & these mappers often work on multiple mods at once.... & Webmasters are needed, but should be an additional responsibility of one of the other members.

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
yeah, why the hell are there so many mappers? not like half of them actually make maps that people play... its a sad sad world out there. Thank god ive got enough cigarettes to last the night ;)

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
why do you think rl mods are made so much?

its cause their so popular, my last mod die from lack of surport and interest, now my rl mod has tons of interest and I barly work on it. Its easier to make a mp5 then come up with a new type of energy blaster that cool and fair.

But I will agree with you on the team bit. WAR had a memeber that did nothing, another I simply talked with about his hl mod(but that was fun, so I didnt mind)

My current mod only has 2 members, and perhaps a webmaster to join soon(so I dont have to mess with my site, I hate messing with site(not that I dont like the site, I love it, I just dont like touching it, cause I keep messing it up))

anyways, when in doubt, empty your clip

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Yeah, well just wait till you see the new Pain! It's gonna have... stuff and be better'n realness!

Don't whiz on the electric fence.

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
i just dont see the point of RL mods... why not just go outside and throw rocks at your neighbor? you know what i mean? Its so much more rewarding! Not to mention they cant kick you from the game or put you on an ignore List! Theyve got to listen to every last thing youve got to say.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
So you want weapons like instant killing pea shooters and very large rocks that do 3 damage?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I could make something that launched paper airplanes that would seek stuff and shoot penciles at them while they're seeking and then hurt them bad when they run into them. An' maybe they could drop eraser bombs when they fly over people. Maybe I'll put it in Pain.

Psycho_Leech

Hug meh
Sep 17, 2001
In the darkness
www.geocities.com
I HATE REALISIM MODS!!!!!

Would they still love realisim mods if they bled heavily for real after being shot?
I can understand how the Strangelove and U4E get such popularity, but why is everyone so keen to download the same mod several times with just a few subtle changes?
At least U4E helps keep the Un in Unreal Tournament, there still is hope(not much, but a bit nonetheless)