Heading to a lan party... need help!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

The Original Brother Ooze!
Apr 7, 2000
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Visit site
Well I'm about to make a five hour drive from Minneapolis to Milwaukee to meet siome buddies and UT for the weekend. I've got some questions for you Lan experts...

1.) I got a new pc about 4 months ago and I haven't installed a nic yet. Money is not an issue, but time is... what is the best nic to get? PCI? 3Com?... To answer this questions consdier three criteria:
a) easy to install... I don't wanna be monkeying around when I arrive... I wanna play!
b) Highest quality... even on a lan lag can be a minor factor... the lower my ping the better!
c) gotta be available at CompUSA! I'm stopping in on my way out of town. If they don't have it I can't buy it!

2.) Are there any actual play techniques to use at a lan party that are not used on the internet? My ping averages about 85 according to NGstats. On a lan I hope to have it near 25. That 60 point difference will be noticeable I'll bet...

3.) Finally, and probably most important of all... all of my trash talking keybinds are irrelavent now... I need some smack to scream across the room when I slap those punks down. Give me your best one liners!

Thanks for the help... I'll post my results on monday!

MOE

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
3com is a good brand. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Get a 10/100 card... not just 10baseT. (I dunno if it will make a diff for a LAN game), but it is100 mbits/sec rather than 10. Make sure your Netspeed is set correctly in UT.

SamD

Hooker with a penis
Nov 1, 2000
Brooklyn
1. 3com 3C905B 10/100 fast ethernet
it's what i use and it's the best

2. the sniper rifle is really the weapon you wont get to use quite the same way as at the lan because with 50+ ping you have to lead. also hose people down with mini/plasma secondary. nothing quite like lan mini, youll see what i mean hehe, it's not the same even with 85 ping :)

3. i wouldnt smack talk because they can come over to your comp and beat you up :p

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by SamD

3. i wouldnt smack talk because they can come over to your comp and beat you up :p
That's half the fun...you gotta talk smack. Back when i was in my college dorms there were a few of us UT'rs all on the same floor. We'd leave our doors open and yell at each other across the hall:D
HF MOE:)

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

The Original Brother Ooze!
Apr 7, 2000
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Visit site
Yeehaw!

Thanks guys.... 3Com it is!

Seeing as I know most of the guys very well...there will CERTAINLY be smack talking going down.

I remember when I went from 56k to DSL how the mini suddenly became a phenomenal weapon... I'll definelty head for it early and often. :)

Now all I gotta do is survive the 5 hour drive... :(

MOE

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Originally posted by My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

3.) Finally, and probably most important of all... all of my trash talking keybinds are irrelavent now... I need some smack to scream across the room when I slap those punks down. Give me your best one liners!

I will let you borrow some of Pap Bangin's one liners!

In CTF when you smack down a flag carrier you must immediately yell "THAT'S MAH FLAG SUCKAAAAAAA!!!"

And if you grab someone else's flag and go on a nice killing spree as you leave the base you should yell the question, "WHO'S FLAG SUCKA? WHO'S FLAG?????" Of course they won't tell you the answer, but everyone knows it's yours at that point! :D

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
"mine!" when i ream someone with the weapon they were about to pick up/make a last second flag recovery and grab theirs.

"surprise" self explanatory.

i'm usually not mean, since i'm better than all my friends, and it would sort of be rubbing their noses in it :)