X05 Gears of War Footage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Over at IGN, the good folks have posted a number of new videos showing off some brand new gameplay footage never before seen. The most spectacular looking of which is some gameplay that takes place during a rainy night level. The ambience, the rain and the lightning, look absolutely amazing. You can also tell the game is getting an excellent framerate considering how much is going on.

You can check out all three of the new videos over at IGN.

placebo

Mar 27, 2005
Absolut Omfg

Christ, that's beautiful. Although at some time, game developers will have to realize that rain isn't a fast-falling vertical white lines thrown down from the sky; it's just a distortion at a point in the air caused by light bending when it travels through the raindrop. It would be great if they added layers of those little distortions instead of the cliched white streaks.

L0cky

UT Envious
Jan 21, 2004
www.utenvy.com
At the same time you wouldn't say the same thing about a stylistic animation or comic/graphic novel. I'd be happy to see realistic rain in a factual based simulation such as an official F1 racing sim, but in a stylistic fictional based action game like Gears of War, I think it'd just look plain wrong.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
[unscolicited thoughts]
1. Yeah, kind of like the blood in the wmv clip. Really cartoonish, but that's the kind of thing I had wanted in ut2004.
2. Don't know what's up with the guy's mouth being open while he's firing. It's like he's orgasming at the enemy or something. Maybe it's an intimidation thing.
3. That thing about pushing the car is a great excuse to show off the moving shadows and sparks and all, but they missed a chance to extend it for a minute or two of gameplay (STAY IN THE LIGHT!!!).
4. It is me or are there no area shadows immediately visible? Is my memory bad or didn't they make a big deal in the early videos about finding a way to do them by interpolating a hard and soft shadow? I figured they'd use them a lot.
5. Even though I'll never buy an x-box. That was badass. Figured I'd better throw that one in.