UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
my fav part of ut2k4 was how I only needed to learn one gun

Pfft, having to learn only one gun is completely pro. Can you imagine what would happen if they made weapons like the Rocket Launcher effective? It would be noob-heaven and would totally destroy the competitive side of the game.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Exactly, UT3 was better with offline/single player/bot experiences than it was for actual online play. That's how I've normally been playing UT3 was mainly in single-player with bots mode... UT2004 was more about the online experience than anything else...and it was built with full-on multiplayer in mind. UT3 just required too many hardware resources and too much bandwidth for online play, imo.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Pfft, having to learn only one gun is completely pro. Can you imagine what would happen if they made weapons like the Rocket Launcher effective? It would be noob-heaven and would totally destroy the competitive side of the game.

It would probably piss off the pro UT2k4 gamers, the proest and most likable of all UT players!

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
It would probably piss off the pro UT2k4 gamers, the proest and most likable of all UT players!

I like to imagine that the "pro" UT2k4 community is a small group of bitter people who are angry that people don't want to play a game where you constantly get picked off half a mile away with the Shock Rifle, Minigun, Lighting Gun or Sniper Rifle and keep circle jerking each other about how totally pro they are. They also fantasize that those bastards at groups like ESEA will totally make UT2k4 a pro game one day because of all the SKILLZ a hitscan-only game requires.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Might want to get back into it so I can live up to my original promise to bring back old 1996 glory in Quake DMs to UT3, I'm getting tired of putting that off!

azg

May 25, 2012
It's funny how the thing turns out with this game. I started playing UT99 with bots because at that time internet access was hard to get and very expensive. It was fun. Now I'm playing UT3 with bots because community is non existent. Well sometimes i hop for some quick Multiplay iCTF action but mainly playing with bots. And i really have a good time doing it. History likes to repeat itself :)

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I like to imagine that the "pro" UT2k4 community is a small group of bitter people who are angry that people don't want to play a game where you constantly get picked off half a mile away with the Shock Rifle, Minigun, Lighting Gun or Sniper Rifle and keep circle jerking each other about how totally pro they are. They also fantasize that those bastards at groups like ESEA will totally make UT2k4 a pro game one day because of all the SKILLZ a hitscan-only game requires.

lol man I missed this post for at least 3 months, thanks for giving me a good laugh

Spieler

Oct 5, 2005
Bremen, Germany
I wonder whether we will ever see a return to the classic Unreal Tournament, with the PC gaming market having gone down the drain and CliffyB leaving Epic Games... :( I'm still waiting for a worthy successor to UT99, if you know what I mean... I mean, UT2004 and UT3 are solid products, but there's too little of the old spirit in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
My point is that it's pointless and unfair to expect any UT to be UT99/2004 with the same physics and the same stuff but with better graphics.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yep, there will never be another. Too bad they didn't keep all the UT features for UT2004 and UT3 (i.e. - ngstats for the bots, etc.). Yes, I know there are add ons and stuff, but I've already played a gazillion hours on both games offline.:)

Spieler

Oct 5, 2005
Bremen, Germany
My point is that it's pointless and unfair to expect any UT to be UT99/2004 with the same physics and the same stuff but with better graphics.
Why not, actually? It would be quite the killer to have some form of "Black Mesa" UT99, wouldn't it? And there's quite some power in the community, let alone crowd-sourcing! Thing missing would be the source code of the Unreal Engine.

Last edited by a moderator: