my computer has weird pop up messages

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|pOt|fArMeRx

3rd degree CD burns
Jun 12, 2001
canada eh
http
The computer im using has windows constantly popping up to tell me how to get rid of the pop up windows.... and it tells me to go to www.endads.com and www.messageaway or something like that to get rid of them

when i went to the sites they want to sell you an adblocker for 30 bucks! wtf

• I have done nothing to trouble shoot this myself as I have no real knowedge of where to start
  • I hope swedix sees this
i have
windows XP
AMD athlon 2200
224 mb of ram
pro savage vid card :)

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
DeaJae said:
or simply go into services.msc and disable the 'Messenger' service :)

Dunno if that helps in this case but it can be worth a try.

Go into the Controlpanel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Services.
Find messanger, dooubleclick on it and from the dropdown select Inactivated. And also, click the button Stop , to stop the service immediately.

But, I still suggest you get Ad-aware or Spybot. If you never have run any of them, you will probably have tons of spyware. And some of them eats from your bandwidth.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
DeaJae said:
or simply go into services.msc and disable the 'Messenger' service :)

Thats a bad thing to do, more a workaround than a solution. The messages will still come u just don't see the messages anymore.

Best option is to run AdAware (to look for spyware etc) and set up a firewall (to block incomming messages)

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
disabling that service will give the sender 'unable to send netsend message to IP' just the same as trying to send it to a windows 9X box.

as for their tactics, recently a piece of software improved the net send command to allow it to be send outside of domains. i suspect this software just runs through a list of IP addresses continusly, so if we can get a few IP's and identify the file and its location, and possible holes, we could tell the software to spam 127.0.0.1 over and over again.

Trj5Ar

Aug 30, 2003
Visit site
Heres one simple solution and I know for sure it'll work. The only problem is if you don't have America Online. You have to have it!!
If you do, here's how you get rid of those Windows XP targeted pop-ups. Just go to the KEYWORD box in the top toolbarclick on it and type in (MSPOP) and all you have to do is click a button that says stop messenger popups now and thats it.