Stuff I would like to see in games/mods

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Had a few thoughts on stuff I would like to see in games

Richochets. bullets like to parrel walls. Flying 6-8 inches from the wall after a richochet. Look at building that are shot up in training alot and the majority of the rounds end up in corners. Its not too hard to add, the C4-UT mod had it.

New health systems. Im not dissing the classes 100 point health system. But you can be so much more creative. I rather liked how Halos work. Or for example DX, where each body part had its own health, so you could get crippled legs, etc.

Locational armor. Yes the shield belt or pack is nice, but what if you had seperate helmets, torso armor, etc? You could even make piecemeal armor stronger then overall armor, because someone isnt going to just touch one powerup and have full armor.

Trentdaddy

Interface with me by entering my face.
Jul 12, 2002
Alabama
Wasn't there a UT mod that had a health feature like that? I kind of got pissed because it just slows you down. The idea is nice in terms of realism, but this is a freaking Unreal game. At least offer like higher fire rate or strength.

debucode

More twisted than evil, man and machine.
Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
The most in-depth health system I've seen was for Top Secret, an old pen-and-paper RPG. They didn't just have health points for body parts, they had wound types (contusion, laceration, puncture...) and serious versus superficial wounds. Later they went to dumbed down (i.e. easier to play) system.

Halo I particularly liked - it didn't do deep modeling of damage, but it also didn't feel like a being in a snowball fight where damage is meaningless. And it was relatively fast.

Unreal being a science fiction game there are "plausible" ways to counteract injuries. I.e. players can get armor/shield/healing technologies, and different species could react differently to damage (already in the game in basic form).

Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Im not asking to indepth damage, sometimes too much sucks. I didnt like some mods(some action varients) where a single stray round could nick you, then you could bleed to death from it. I would like to see different reactions from a shot in the foot and a shot in the head.

But my main complaint was instant healing. What about something like Max Payne? That would heal you, but not instantly. Of course its unreal, have something fitting the game, but I dont like instant health packs. What about Unreal 2 healing devices, that seems better to me.

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
Allowing the player to bleed to death from a scratch is silly.

The thing I would like is some kind of temporary knockdown effect.

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
If a grenade blows up near you then you ought to at least be knocked down. If you get shot in the foot while running you should trip and fall. Then you should be able to get back up (if you can)...

Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Makes sense to me. If you had movement code that allowed for standing, ducking, and prone. Explosives would knock you prone. Or at least daze you.

Ever play the Cide mod for U1? Close miss from the Anti-Tank gun would concuss you. That sucked. You had a white spot block youre vission,and an anoying ringing sound play.

debucode

Feb 20, 2004
Seattle, WA
It seems like there were a lot of cool/interesting mods for older unreals - I only started with UT2K3 so I kind of missed out.

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
I think much more was made for UT then 2k3/4 The stuff for 2k4 has better looks, bigger projects, but there was so much more for UT.

But no point dwelling on that past, just learn from it.