What's the best MP3 player?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
My iPhone 4 is a great music player with seemingly great sound quality. I have pretty good speakers in my Jeep (Alpine S's in the speakerbar, Kenwoods in the dash) and the sound quality is always better when it's sourced from my iPhone as opposed to my Sony Xplod headunit. I also have an iPhone mount on my dash, which makes it really easy to use it for music as well as navigation (MotionX) and hands-free calls. I can just play my playlist and it automatically fades the music down when I get a call or when MotionX wants to tell me where to go. The mount also makes it exceedingly easy to record video of what is going on in front of me if I ever wanted to.

When I do get a call, I don't even have to pull the phone out of the mount to take the call; calls go through my stereo system and I can make it as loud as I want, which is really handy when you're on the interstate with the top and doors off and it's hard to hear. I'm sure other smartphones offer similar driving experiences.

I know it's an expensive device but it really is the best MP3 player I've ever had. Not just because of the interface (which is easy to use while driving) or the sound quality, but because of everything else I can do with this device besides listening to music. Smartphones really are the ultimate travel companion device.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I'm very glad with my Sandisk mp3 player.
Rockbox compatibility is a must. check that out. ;)

recently, I've been using my phone with the google music app, and it's awesome. :p

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
How I morn the loss of my creative nomad3. The sound quality still is superb but win 7 won't recognise it and creative aint gonna release a patch to fix this. ever
Do you still have the Nomad? Then install Windows XP inside a virtual machine

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I do still have the nomad (and my XP disc) so I'll have a look at this but if it's too much hassle I won't bother. My new mp3 player will work out the box and with larger capacity (8gig + 32gig micro). The nomad is 20gig.

Rockbox: I'v been hearing about this so I'll look into that as well.
cheers

MP3 hardware does make a difference plus most phones (mine included) use a special headphone jack. This really limits the headphones I can use.

Dedicated hardware is always better than some jack-of-all-trades.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Rockbox + 5th-gen iPods is win. Then again, good luck finding a 5th-gen iPod. I traded a Zune I found in a parking lot for mine back in 2007, it has served me very well since then. I don't use it much except for parties and listening to audiobooks when I'm laying in bed.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I think you must be getting confused because there isn't any MP3 hardware: MP3 decoders are nearly always software programs for a general-purpose CPU.
the last time anyone put a hardware mp3 decoder in a device was probably 2002

pfff you know what I mean

Customer reviews and ratings at amazon are good.
(this is what I've gone for)
MP3 player
419U6bYDF1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Headphones
21V9T0VM0PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Again, these phones receiving some good reviews and ratings at amazon.

cheers all.

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
pretty sure i don't know what you mean. but you don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about anyway.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Pfft on Amazon user reviews. My old 2GB Clip survived 2 and half seasons when I worked in a stone quarry.
It survived the dirt, dust(very fine dust), below freezing temps and me sweating my ass off each summer
I'm still getting dust out of it 3 years later and it still runs like a champ(still has like a 24 hour running time)

Like I said, if that Clip+ is built half as well, it'll work for a long time

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Firefly, the fact is that a decent DAC costs next to nothing. The "dedicated sound hardware" that you are talking about is the exact same stuff in phones and MP3 devices. You might hear a difference if you're using hi-fi gear, but then you wouldn't use the jack. The only real advantages to MP3 devices, which is why I use them, is that they usually have a way better interface, and a seperate battery (not draining your phone).

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I do still have the nomad (and my XP disc) so I'll have a look at this but if it's too much hassle I won't bother. My new mp3 player will work out the box and with larger capacity (8gig + 32gig micro). The nomad is 20gig.

Rockbox: I'v been hearing about this so I'll look into that as well.
cheers

MP3 hardware does make a difference plus most phones (mine included) use a special headphone jack. This really limits the headphones I can use.

Dedicated hardware is always better than some jack-of-all-trades.

Make your own.
http://www.pjrc.com/mp3/sta013.html