you're a genious if you can solve my problem!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
you're a genious if you can solve my problem !

hi,.

my UT doesn't run smooth anymore, it shows me 50-60 frames constantly, but it slows down and speeds up all the time, it's almost not noticable, but it's there and it's soooo annoying !!!

example: i'm walking in a straight line, as soon as i switch weapons it slows down for a fraction of a second. this only happens in direct 3d mode, software works fine, but who want's software ?

my hardware:

1.1 Ghz thunderbird
256 ram
3d prophet GTSII Pro 64 mb
ASUS A7V mainboard

i have tried everything: i changed almost every component, mainboard, harddrive, even the processor.

i reinstalled windows several times, i also removed all other cards like network, soundcard,.

nothing works !!!

please help me !!!!
greetings from <fska>Eliminator

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
most likly somthing running in the background, like a IM service, possibly CPUidle if you run it or MBM. maybe a virus checker, somthing that needs the hard drive for a split second, and HD access really kills proformance. try uninstalling those. CPU idle has a "disable on high CPU load" that you shoulc check again if you use CPU idle

·s¥n·Jihad

Leader of the ·s¥n·dicate
Nov 22, 2000
Visit site
Here are the things I would try in your situation:

1. Defrag your hard drive. This can lead to slight performance improvments.

2. In your virtual memory settings, make sure you have a static swap file, in other words, set your own virtual memory, usually around 150-250MB.

3. In your Advanced Preferences in UT (type preferences at the console), make sure your cache size is around 8-12MB.

Check this guide out for some more help as well: http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/ut/index.shtml

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
thanks,.

hey thanks for the tips !

i also realized that the game slows down when accessing the harddrive, in quake too,
but i have an ATA-100 IBM, 7200rpm and even that i changed last month with a maxtor.

defragging didn't help either, i did that before,.

ok, i changed the cache and virtual memory, same problem

please give me more tips, need to know more about my system ?
anything i can change in my card settings ??

CPU idle,. i don't have any programs installed, just standard winME,

hmm,. HELP ! i'm going to a LAN-Party soon,..
cya
Eliminator

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
quick question.Have you updated WinME?Because WinME originally had some swap file problems as well as disk caching issues.Check Microsoft's website,and if you've already done that.. well...nevermind :D

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
update

no i didn't update winme yet, but i was just surfing the ms page for about an hour and there were only a few updates availabe, things like I Explorer Service Pack's 'n stuff like that,

could you tell me what update you we're talking about ?
thanks

<fska>Eliminator

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I recall it being there when I did one of the first "Auto-Updates".If you don't see it,you probably already have it.But I'll hunt around and post a link if I find something.

actorindp

Feb 19, 2001
Visit site
thunderbird problem

I'm not sure specificlly, but i know the thunderbird and durons, don;t work well with certain video cards, and mess em up, I dunno which ones speciffically thoiugh, sry

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
update,.

yeah i did the auto update and it didn't show anything important to update, i probably already have it,.

athlon's + dunron's with GTSII Pro,.
it works fine because my friend has almost the same hardware, without any problems.

plus it used to work at the beginning when i just got the PC,.thanksö and cya

<fska>Eliminator

-[IMD1]-K!llRoy

I really dont look like this...
Feb 14, 2001
netherlands
Visit site
did you change the drivers for your 3D card? If so did you make sure you deinstalled de previous one correctly?

Frist you go to system and remove the GTS II pro video adaptor.

Then you go to thing where you change your colours and stuff in controll panel (sorry i have a Dutch Windows, dunno what its called in English) and go to advanced. and change the adaptor to standand VGA.

REstart and install the new GTS drivers,
If you dont install the D3 drivers like this it will conflict with the other ones that were there.

If you did this, well i dunno what your problem is.. :(

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
yep, been there, did that

yeah i did a clean install on the drivers.
that's not it.

you know what, everytime i have a problem with something, then it's definetly serious and probably not even bill gates could solve it !

i think it's time to sell my PC.,.
cya

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
Cacheman Rulez !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey It works again !!!!

i installed cacheman, put in on the WinME/3Dgames setting, and it works perfect !!
even Quake improved !

thanks Blaze-22 ! you can make a cross in your calender for making a person happy on the 20/02/2001.

even better ! it seems to have made the settings permanent, so even when disbling the program i don't have any problems any more!

next week I'm getting my new Razor Boomslang 2000, then i'm gonna be UNFRAGABLE !!!

case closed, thanks for helping !

<fska>Eliminator

Swiss LAN-Party: http://www.unfragable.ch
Organizers ClanPage: http://www.fska.net
both down at times,. hehe

Valk

Mom, kitty's being a dildo!!
Dec 21, 2000
Great Lakes State
Visit site
When I setup my system, I made a partion dedicated for the swap file. This greatly improved my UT performance. I assume it's similar to what the app does.

<fska>Eliminator

Feb 18, 2001
www.fska.net
partition

hey that's a pretty good idea, i'll keep that in mind.

i forgot to mention that now it takes about 1-2 minutes for UT to start,,.

who cares !! my FPS are back to the rootz ! hehe
cya