New scoring system... Proximity=teamwork?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
I dont play on sob or muf servers much cause the people generally suck ass. Bug exploiters and teamkillers.... usually i stick to smaller servers that people run themselves. Besides who wants to play the same ****ty maps that you guys run all the time anyway? VIVA LA INDEPENdE!!!!

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
Originally posted by eddievedder
EH... no desire to, besides what clan would want me? I'm not that great anyways.

But I thought skill isn't what counts? I though it was a teamplay attitude is what counts? IMO a clan that looks for recruits solely based on skill won't go anywhere. *bites tongue not to mention a certain clan*

robrob

May 4, 2000
Just for the record

I have played w/ and against Sup?, Wiz and a number of members of GHOST and MUF. Both are great groups of guys.

In retrospect I think Antag was being a little over the top to make a point....point taken. By far most clan members are solid and fair.

To my point, there is teamwork on pub servers. Not to the extent of a clan but there is enough to warrent encouraging this behavior with the new scoring method. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Fur...[edit] and especially you eddie (if thats really your name) ;) [/edit] guys relax a bit. The guys you are harshing on are solid. I have not played against or w/ Antag but I have my doubts that he would really toss a grenade my direction while I was engaging the baddies.

As for Sup? and Wiz aside from missing an AA meeting occasionally they dont derserve your off topic name calling :D

And one more thing...Warren said "pee-pee" heheh

Last edited:

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
With all of this talk about REAL teamwork and such... Of course the most effective teamwork can only be had by communication (BattleCom or RogerWilco), but that doesn't mean that lack of voice comms immediately turns the game into a frag fest. The best us indies can have ATM is simple, basic teamwork, like knowing where your teammates are and pairing up (but not to the point of fragbait), and we would like loner run-n-gunners to not ruin it for those of us who try.

Oh, yeah, and I believe that the topic was "Proximity != Teamwork," which I completely agree with. Proximity == Fragbait, Teamwork == Communication + Coordination.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
fur, eddie, if you want teamplay call up all your friends or organize a group on these forums to join a server and practice or play. Nobody says you can't have teamplay without joining a clan. But what is much more difficult is getting teamplay out of a public game.

Let me express my reasons for kicking everyones ass on my server in rambo mode. (Yes I am a self centered egotistical pig) Or whatever else that may "disgust" you.

My reasons are simple... In a normal week we have 2 clan matches within the MUF clan. These are league matches. The group we are in the "Imperial Junta" has FOUR matches a week. We share players between the clans involved in the Imperial junta and it is very possible for someone to be in alot of matches in one week. This of course does not include our practices. We gather 2-3 times a week for organized practice on private servers.

Now just imagine the amount of gaming this includes. 2 matches and 3 practices. Its like a part time job, 5 DAYS A WEEK.

Now imagine for a second that we MUF have setup SIX, count the SIX servers, four of which are public. Tell me why it is that I am not allowed or that I do not have the right to take a freakin break from teamplay! Give me one good reason why I can't take a break and play without the preasure of a tight clanmatch. For christ sakes they're my servers. Can I go to the SOB servers and play like a rambo for some quick no preasure enjoyable kick back games????? Yes, I've earned the right myself by playing my ass off in matches and team"play" practices.

Should I get on a public server and change my play to accomodate someone else when all I want to do is relax? I've been playing 5 days a week in organized teamplay matches, dont I deserve a break?

Thats what I do on public servers, I play to have fun... The most of the teamwork I put into a pub game consists of about 10 mapped out voice commands. Which I use constantly and it keeps me in touch with whoever else is responding. When I play on pubs I want a break from having to type out or talk on rw about possible strategies. Yes I run with backup people, or back people up all the time. This is teamwork! Its limited but it is teamwork that makes a difference. I do all this while being a billy badass and having fun in a much needed break from serious matchplay. Are you criticizing that? I should hope not because none of you have any right too. The only people that can even respond to this are the people that are in the same boat as I am that put as much freakin effort into playing team-based matches and practices.

I like Teutonics Idea, you freaks put together your team and challenge say the ILCR north american "all star" team of which I am the captain. We are all billy badasses that can control a public game like nobodies business and see how far you get. Most of all you will be plesently supprised at the amount of unseen teamwork and general intuition of a seasoned veteran of match play.

Sup?

GHOST Commander
Apr 1, 2001
ghost.clanpages.com
Fur, sorry for all the name calling. I don't think it's a constructive way of getting our points across.

Robrob, thx for the props...I've only missed 3 AA meetings in the past year! LOL

vedder

Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
I didnt say you cant have fun..... geez what i was pissed at is people who will sacrifice their team in order to save their own hide. This shows no honor and frankly disgusts me.

vedder

Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Originally posted by Sup?
Fur, sorry for all the name calling. I don't think it's a constructive way of getting our points across.

Robrob, thx for the props...I've only missed 3 AA meetings in the past year! LOL

HMM ... bold letters with secret messages ... that's mature

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
Originally posted by MoNDoGuY
First of all, I've been in a CS clan. CS teamplay is nothing like INF. There is a alot more at stake in INF. So you shouldn't really compare DM/non-realism type games to INF, Nevermore...
I heartily disagree with that sentiment. One of the things that made us undefeated for 4+ months on OGL was the fact that our element of team work was above the normal type of DM/non-realism game plan. We had actual strategies planned out to exploit the choke points and hold areas in check. People were assigned objectives and positions to maintain on the maps we played. We did not use BC or RW, we used in game team chat to manage all of this. When we play on the pubs, it is SOP to set up strategies with the people we play with (I am speaking of Q2, mind you, not inf--my clan is still very active in Q2...buggers won't move over to INF yet). My point is, it is not out of the question for <i>some</i> level of team work to exist in pubs and when it comes to real team work, it is not game specific, regardless of whether it is a DM/non-realism game or a semirealistic simulation. Team work = team work.
...Nevermore (which is a great band btw :))
I would not know. I have never heard any of their music. Nevermore=The Raven=Poe
We can still function, but to put it simply, a team without voice comms Vs a team with voice comms is going to lose everytime.
hogwash.
Now, when I join a pub I'm looking to have some fun, and I've made quite a few friends. I try to play with teamwork in mind but it's not my primary objective.
Great! I am glad. These m0m0s are saying they do not even try half-heartedly to play with at least some element of teamwork in mind. That is what I have a problem with. How can someone ever get good enough at team work to join a clan if these buggers are running around like looneys, not even trying to set an example of how to play as a team? Is it common practice to recruit greens?

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
I'm with everyone else that said it must be seen first. Seeing is believing as they say, no?

And concerning the non-voice comm teamwork, I believe the hogwash comment is right. On the AFA server, we have seen some outstanding teamwork being performed without voice comm. And on a side note, I'd like to thank GAT-Rogue right here and now for being the one who always died first on DM-INF-Island just to let me know where the enemy is. :D

-GAT-Rogue

Jul 22, 2001
Visit site
i got halfway down page 2 and couldnt read anymore of the "you're a newbie who doesnt like teamwork, no im older and my daddy can beat up yours" comments....so if my post looks like its old thats why:p

the only reason teamwork doesnt work on public servers is because 99.9% of the people online dont care about teamwork, they just want a run n gun game thats more realistic than tacops...
if you wanted to do teamwork like you say you do, you would. plain and simple.
when i first started playing on the AFA server i didnt know anyone, and i just asked if i could "work" with them, and it was 10x more fun than run n gun.

inf is about teamwork, its a "military sim". and i play online alot (too much....:rolleyes: ) and i hate run n gun, rambo type play more and more....teamplay is just more fun.
p.s. this is not intended to flame anybody, just posting why i think teamwork doesnt work

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
And on a side note, I'd like to thank GAT-Rogue right here and now for being the one who always died first on DM-INF-Island just to let me know where the enemy is.
lol storm! :D
(although i shouldn't talk... i probably died first on an exponentially more frequent basis... :D)

i got halfway down page 2 and couldnt read anymore of the "you're a newbie who doesnt like teamwork, no im older and my daddy can beat up yours" comments....
amen, rogue...

when i first started playing on the AFA server i didnt know anyone, and i just asked if i could "work" with them, and it was 10x more fun than run n gun.
way to pimp our server rogue! :)
seriously, though, i gotta take my hat off to rogue... first time he came on the server it was immediately apparent that teamplay was of great importance to him... we were covering each others' backs, employing bounding overwatch, and it was great... a helluva lot more fun, imo, than rambo-ing it alone, and certainly more involving... saved each others' asses on more than one occasion, too, which absolutely rocked... oh yeah, and this was without voice comms, too... couple of well placed speechbinds, gesturing using your weapon, etc... sure, rw would be nice, but it's not absolutely essential...

Cholo Grande

May 29, 2001
www.buswerks.com
LMAO@Wesly Sniper! I never said that killing a team mate to get kills was in my bag of tricks. I said that, if someone gets in my LOF while I was in a firefight and I have to choose between letting off the trigger and dieing (BECAUSE OF THEIR DUMB ASS) or letting off the trigger and them maybe getting the kill or maybe not, I would not let off the trigger in a public game. BTW I've been hit by the same **** before and I will applogize for not watching you LOF.

I am truly impressed with how my topic has blossomed. If ANYONE remembers I was voicing a SMALL gripe with the scoring system. Proximity does not equal teamplay. Since we have so many teamplay experts (whom I've never seen in a league or even in my "challenge" book) who know EVERYTHING about teamplay while I know nothing, I assume that all of you know that solid teamplay on many maps, especialy the larger ones, would not include being close to each other. In other words, from what I read in my quick scim of the manual, I will not be awarded teamplay points because I didn't stand withing multi-kill range of my mate.

On another note, the "rambo" players that get a bad rep are the ones that usualy kick ass in matches as well. When I dream up match strategy for a particular map I usualy have a larger squad that each member is assigned choke points and cover positions, while a smaller group of one or two "rambos" makes up the frontal assault team. The MUF clan has solid teamplay. We were in the sem-filals of the ILCR Infiltration league, a place you don't get to without solid teamplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.