Instagib in UT2k4 [Link inside]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Trasher

/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
I like to think that Instagib is the community's great devide. On one side of the metaphorical crevasse, there's people playing without it, exploiting the pros and cons of the different weapons to each other's dis/advantage. On the other side, Instagib players, relying purely on accuracy and reflexes to fight, no matter how much the weapon may inconveniece their completing the objectives.

I'd like to think that one day, this gap will be bridged. (Romeo and Juliet, anyone? Or maybe, Gorge and Alyss? I think we have an idea for a Machinima!)

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
Back in UT99 i played often IG to get my aim up , but i played alot of DM with normal weapons too, but had some nights that i went IG only.
In those days people looked weirded at me for even playing IG at all, but when certain people saw after a while how well i started to aim, they went to IG as well as practice.

But i never liked IG, and never shall play it alot, and use it mostly for practice, and then even more against bots. I dont care if others plays it, but TCR shall never host any IG games as long i host TCR

CorruptMind

Feb 14, 2004
I have had so many regweapon players tell me that I cant play NW because I have no skill when it comes to playing... I hear this all the time... supposedly IG players have no skill because all their kills are gained by one shot... it may be true that our kills are one shot but that means the other guy can kill us just as fast... we have to be faster then each other which is why so many IG players have faster reflexes and better aim then others players... many NW claim IG players cant play NW... that is where many of them are wrong... going back to the single shot to kill thought... so what if we're used too 1 shot... doesn't mean we cant pull off the 2-4 other shots to kill you just as fast.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
instagib is totaly differant from reg UT i have played normal gone to unsta and come back again and i am playing excessive
instagib needs good aim which vanilla UT doesnt have
i have had best of both worlds.
i dont see why ppl have problems with ESR but what about the reedemer u dont even need to hit the target to kill like insta

CorruptMind

Feb 14, 2004
flack ho said:
instagib is totaly differant from reg UT i have played normal gone to unsta and come back again and i am playing excessive
instagib needs good aim which vanilla UT doesnt have
i have had best of both worlds.
i dont see why ppl have problems with ESR but what about the reedemer u dont even need to hit the target to kill like insta

splash damage, around the corner shots... aka spam... thank you

The Trasher

OK, let's way up the Pros and Cons of either type, as weighed up by a heavy NW-er.

Regular GUNZ
PROS:
Variety means more strategy, resulting in a giant, plasma fuelled game of Rock Paper Scissors.
Modded far more often.
Good at tearing vehicles asunder, and repairing nodes.
CONS:
Suffers when mappers are too ammo-happy.
The Bio-Rifle.
The Lightning Gun.

Instagib
PROS:
A quick, brainless bash when you really don't want to think of things other than shooting the other guy.
Values accuracy on the run above all else.
Was quite cool...
CONS:
...in 1999, when it actually blew ENTIRE people into tiny shreds, rather than just the top half.
Kinda crap against vehicles, allegedly.
For chrissakes, just give it a cyllendrical design and a spirally trail and call it a railgun Epic.

This is, of course, my opinion, which occasionally gives way to my urge to be a smart-arse. So feel free to make your own, better pros and cons.

CorruptMind

Feb 14, 2004
The Trasher said:
OK, let's way up the Pros and Cons of either type, as weighed up by a heavy NW-er.

Regular GUNZ
PROS:
Variety means more strategy, resulting in a giant, plasma fuelled game of Rock Paper Scissors.
Modded far more often.
Good at tearing vehicles asunder, and repairing nodes.
CONS:
Suffers when mappers are too ammo-happy.
The Bio-Rifle.
The Lightning Gun.

Instagib
PROS:
A quick, brainless bash when you really don't want to think of things other than shooting the other guy.
Values accuracy on the run above all else.
Was quite cool...
CONS:
...in 1999, when it actually blew ENTIRE people into tiny shreds, rather than just the top half.
Kinda crap against vehicles, allegedly.
For chrissakes, just give it a cyllendrical design and a spirally trail and call it a railgun Epic.

This is, of course, my opinion, which occasionally gives way to my urge to be a smart-arse. So feel free to make your own, better pros and cons.

I have always agree'd with NW players that Reg requires a bit more of a tactical plan while playing... but even then you can just use 1 weapon and mow everyone down until finally someone blows ya up...

I dont really see how blowing people up can be a bad thing... it is after all called InstaGIB... as for the vehicle part. I could see how that is a problem but that is Epics own doing, they clearly programmed the levels of damage against vehicles to be lower.

Onto the LinkGun deal... oh yes I definantly see a problem in OnSaught with IG. Think of it another way though. It just requires your team to be even stronger to win.

The Trasher

I have always agree'd with NW players that Reg requires a bit more of a tactical plan while playing... but even then you can just use 1 weapon and mow everyone down until finally someone blows ya up...
Predictability will get you mowed down quicker.
Onto the LinkGun deal... oh yes I definantly see a problem in OnSaught with IG. Think of it another way though. It just requires your team to be even stronger to win.
The phrase "Zerg Rush" comes to mind. :)
SPAWNKILLING IS NON EXCISTANT IN INSTAGIB cos everyone has the same gun
Yes, because everyone who so much as looks at an Instagib server is granted caffine-fueled super-reflexes, allowing them to dive out the way, zap their spawnkiller-to-be, and make out with Aria Giovanni in the wink of an eye. Except with less sarcasm.

Kilrogg

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls !

Here's the 3rd opponent:

STRANGELOVE ARENA ! (flyable Redeemer mod) Big mess, lots of fun, period.

That's probably the thing that gave me the funniest UT experience I've ever had ! Especially in the Strangelove assault maps. (Strangelove DM isn't really funny, actually :p)

Too bad you can't find a good game anymore :/

Concerning NW and IG, why is there that stupid confrontation ? IG is good, NW are good, that's it. Still, I agree on one point: there shouldn't be any IG on a demo, since it's...well...a demo :D

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Bah! There should be a katana! Yes!

A real powerfull katana! I mean, one which could slice a vehicle open with one blow!
Yeah!
And make it telefrag a manta! yes! And fountains of gibs and blood!

Onskataslaughtna...! :eek: OmG I came up with a knob gaemthype!0_0!

Katana is what the demo needs.

CorruptMind

Feb 14, 2004
The Trasher said:
Yes, because everyone who so much as looks at an Instagib server is granted caffine-fueled super-reflexes, allowing them to dive out the way, zap their spawnkiller-to-be, and make out with Aria Giovanni in the wink of an eye. Except with less sarcasm.

haha cracked me up good when I read that... yes spawnkilling is slighty a problem unless you come across a group a players who only do it when the must. CTF-FacingAss where its just one big ass box slightly devided by a toilet... the spawn points are in areas so easy to kill someone... but here comes the good part. A player usually leads into spawn killing by killing a large number of people really fast.

Example: Other day I was playing CTF-FacingAss enemy had my flag I managed to sneak around the toilet and take it out just before he reached the flag. After killing their flag carrier I killed a guy that was chasing me down while I was trying to retrieve my flag, After I killed him 2 more guys seen me and started chasing me down. Took them out to reach my flag. Right after I return the flag bam a guy spawns infront of me stairing right at me. So ofcourse I killed him giving me a beautiful Monster Kill... lol

But why did I kill him? Simply because after a while of those quick responses it becomes habbit to kill someone that suddenly appears infront of me. But then again you have your players who do nothing but run in a small circle at the other teams base doing nother but spawn killing. They have a perfect chance to go for the flag because they've pretty much got everyone killed when they spawn. But nope the ass just sits there FragWhoring.

I myself dont mind SKing. I know for a fact that it is impossible to go by a game where you dont nearly SK someone...

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
flack ho said:
yes and may i add
SPAWNKILLING IS NON EXCISTANT IN INSTAGIB cos everyone has the same gun
I think u need to learn the definition of spawnkilling if u think it's non existant in insta..

and fix your keyboard too, your caps-lock is stuck.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
In UT1 there were weapons that were actually fun to play with and use... but in UT2003 thre aren't. Hence became a UT2003 IG'er, and (GASP!) a bombing run player! But it was pretty fun anyway. The action was intense. The skills needed were high. There was no spam. Of course now that we actually have good weapons to play with again, now that teh demo is out, there is much less point to instagib, esp. in ONS and AS. Instagib waas fun (even somewhat in UT1), its just not good to play all of the time.

Plus, I think that LG in UT2003 lent itself to instagib, nw just suck in LG BR.

Burning Fish

My brain hurts!
Dec 30, 2003
Holland
www.burningfish.nl
I just like to IG on Instant Action, just SP cuz I would suck so hard online init. It is cool to play against bots in DM and it works a bit on OS. I was wondering, does anyone know the command to kill the weapon-lockers in OS, because "killall pickup" only kills the real weapons-pickups and not the lockers.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Im pretty suere in another thread it was mentioned that in ONS vehicles and nodes just take a little more damage from IG than the shock rifle, so it may not be bad after all in that.

AS though, i can see it making the game either easy or impossible depending on the teams, to many bottlenecks on convoy for sure.