Somebody Help Me

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
i've had this motherboard with 2 primary ide controllers. (udma33 primary and secondary, and ata66 primary and secondary) built into the mobo. i was never able to use the ata66 controller without problems. i replace my mobo (cause i wanted a new processor) and this only had ata66 onboard.

my problem with both mobos is that i can never use winXP or win2K. winME worked fine on both mobos. I can't even install an NT based operating system! and this is killing me. somebody help.

I refuse to switch the motherboards again just to recover my files over at the other partitions that had NTFS file formats.

Does this make sense ¿

I need to have two OS running. I install UT on both partitions so i can map using only official ut files, and play UT on the other partition installing any umx, utx, and any other unofficial files that can't leak into my maps.

Skorch

Banned
Feb 5, 2000
motherbord compatibility...you already know this...break down and buy a 266...*hic*

Claw

Weird little hermit on dried frog pills
Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
Sorry

I've never even heard of such a problem before... what kind of freaky mainboard do you have??

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
the mother board cost $150 by the way.

same thing happened on two mobos, so i doubt the problem lies there

they are: Gigabyte BX2000+, and the Intel VC820

both have ata66. the gigabyte also had udma33.

the screen i get talks about it may be a virus (i have none), or if i installed a new HDD (i did not) then all i have to do is reboot and this screen will not appear (and it did). This is the screen i get when trying to install win2K, and is the reason why i can't load into winXP.

gigabyte bx2000+ http://www.giga-byte.com/products/bx2000+.htm

intel vc820 http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/vc/vc_ds.htm

Did you by any chance check the MS KB about this, and the "proper" way to load a dual boot system?

Depending on the error, you may just need to dl a newer version of the Windows ATA storage driver.

Some essentials:
You HAVE to put 2K on a seperate partition than ME, and you HAVE to load ME or any DOS based or Win9x based OS first.
You can not use any skank partitioning software like Disk Commander or Partition Magic, use the utilities that come with Windows.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
Originally posted by diddlysquat
Did you by any chance check the MS KB about this, and the "proper" way to load a dual boot system?

what is MS KB?....

Depending on the error, you may just need to dl a newer version of the Windows ATA storage driver.

ill try that, but where do i find this driver...

Some essentials:
You HAVE to put 2K on a seperate partition than ME, and you HAVE to load ME or any DOS based or Win9x based OS first.
You can not use any skank partitioning software like Disk Commander or Partition Magic, use the utilities that come with Windows.

all my 3 operating systems are on separate partitions created by fdisk from windows.

winME was installed first. Then win2K and winXP was installed later. Im not trying to install them, they are already installed. The partitions winXP and win2K use the NTFS file format. (When i tried to install them earlier, i got that same error message, so i switched it back to the udma33 from the ata66.)

I am talking about the Microsoft Knowledge Base, never use Windows without it. I seem to remember issues with 2K and some ATA66 drivers.

You may also want to update the BIOS and the chipset drivers.
(I am talking about the Intel board, which is what I know more about than the other.)

I am not using NTFS, but I am using 2K on this system with a ATA100 controller, and running XP on a laptop with an ATA66 controller, and am having no problems. I also know people who are using XP and 2Kwith NTFS on ATA66 and ata100 controllers, so this isn't an impossible task.

Hope this helps.