Computer Games Online Interviews Mark Rein

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Computer Games Online has posted an interview with Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein. In it, they talk about what Epic will show at GDC this year, Future PCs and Consoles, and how many games they are working on:
Computer Games - About how many upcoming games are currently slated to use a version of Epic's Unreal engine?

Mark Rein - We're making two Unreal Engine 3-based games ourselves right now and I can only comment for the games Epic creates.
Hmm, Two Unreal Engine games... Gears of War is almost certainly one of them, but what's the other? It can't be Pariah since Digital Extremes is making it... oh well, time will tell! Anyway, you can read the full interview here.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Dark Pulse said:
Hmm, Two Unreal Engine games... Gears of War is almost certainly one of them, but what's the other? It can't be Pariah since Digital Extremes is making it... oh well, time will tell! Anyway, you can read the full interview here.
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/future/future.php#ut2007
The next Unreal Tournament title to be released will probably be UT2006/7, its likely that it's being developed on Unreal Engine 3 to be released any time between 2006 and 2007, as Mark Rein explains.

For sure we'll do another Unreal Tournament game, and we'll do it with [Unreal Engine 3].

Someone else (Tim? Steve?) was quoted as saying that they were working on an Unreal Engine 3 game in the Unreal series but it wasn't Unreal and that we should "do the math". :)

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
UTEvolution

I'm hoping for it to be Unreal Tournament 3. I'm fairly sure that it won't be a UT200x name, because thay whole idea pretty much went down in flames.

I'm also pretty sure it'll be another gameplay revolution in the UT -> UT2/2.5 style rather than an evolution of the current gameplay due to the new engine. Not sure if that would be a good idea, especially as the last gameplay revolution had a mixed reception. But as long as it's handled well, and any features that are included are actually worth it (ie. no more adrenaline etc.) then it should be ok. Although, I'm still not sure I trust Epic's willingness to listen to the community when it comes to gameplay though.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
UT3

I see in modes like ONS/Assualt/CTF for the use of vehicles (or a new one) - real dropships for porting men and other new types of vehicles. or more cool looking ones.

Maybe such things as a space ship which the whole team has to move around inside, manning weapons and stearing would be cool - you would be in combat against another ship controlled by the other team, or it could be an assualt level. where one team needs to co-ordinate inside to control the ship to attack

In UE3, i can see gametypes for vehicles using lot bigger maps and thus much cooler vehicles than the ones in UT04

CTF maps could take place over much longer distances.

The big thing I HOPE for, is the look of the game will look a lot better (no more chunky, unsized, vehicles.meshes etc) Based on the screenshots so far. It should look awesome to see vehicles in combat etc.

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
In terms of the game graphics middleware business, do you feel that Epic will continue to be able to compete with the competition like id's Doom 3 engine and Valve's Source engine?

Mark Rein - Sure.

Is it me or is Rein getting more laconic these days?

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
hal said:
I dunno... how would you expect him to answer that question?

How about with a bit of how Epic will be competing, and what the UE3 will have to give an edge over those engines, like the handful of new features they announced about a month ago?

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Or at least a little shot of "Half-Life sucks". Come on Rein, represent!

I expect the next UT game to have Raiden, Tachibana Ukyo, Jin Kazama, Bison and Sabrewulf as playable characters. ;)

... and naked Bloodrayne.

:edit: BTW, by my calculations, this was post #6000. Blew right by me. :shy:

Last edited:

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
Well remember UE 3 can support 64 player action by default without any engine changes. So we might expect larger Unreal action.