how to make an overhead map in runtime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mrbungle

Oct 18, 2004
Here is what I would like to do and, after hacking around online, have not been able to find much information about.

I am still working on making simple environments for people to navigate in experiments. People walk in the environs in first person view, but we would like to get some sort of visual feedback on the side - specifically an overhead view (a simple one really) representing the path that the person took through the environ.

Ideally this map would not be viewable by the user, and only available to us afterwards. I would also like to be able to save these maps as images or movies - anything really.

I do not even know where to start with this problem (other than on the forum).

Thanks

StormSeed

Jan 18, 2005
mrbungle said:
Here is what I would like to do and, after hacking around online, have not been able to find much information about.

I am still working on making simple environments for people to navigate in experiments. People walk in the environs in first person view, but we would like to get some sort of visual feedback on the side - specifically an overhead view (a simple one really) representing the path that the person took through the environ.

Ideally this map would not be viewable by the user, and only available to us afterwards. I would also like to be able to save these maps as images or movies - anything really.

I do not even know where to start with this problem (other than on the forum).

Thanks

If you look at the UT Redeemer's code, you can find out how to get a view through a different camera, so what you do is, you put a camera above the level and get a top-down view of the level.

You can leave a trail of particle-emitters or something behind the person so that you can see his path.

The part that may be difficult is to get that view into a graphics file. Maybe take a screenshot manually. Maybe the screenshot code is in the interface code somewhere.

StormSeed

Jan 18, 2005
Oops. I thought this was an unreal-editing forum. You may want to look at an actual game made with the Unreal engine before using the engine.

mrbungle

Oct 18, 2004
StormSeed said:
Oops. I thought this was an unreal-editing forum. You may want to look at an actual game made with the Unreal engine before using the engine.

I've been working with the unreal runtime editor for about 6 months now and am fairly comfortable with it. Your idea sounds interesting, but is it possible to run two cameras simultaneously?

StormSeed

Jan 18, 2005
To my knowledge you'll need seperate players for seperate cameras, which means Unreal running separately but in the same "game".

So you should be able to have the experiment subject and the experimentor having different viewpoints/cameras, almost like a network game of UT.