I know why the Lightning Gun sucks and how to fix it.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
In my opinion, the lightning gun does not suck. Except people always come back to flaming this one odd weapon.

I realize suddenly why this electric gun is so bad. Because people can see you after you let loose a shot? No. Because it has a slower rate of fire than in the previous UT? No. Because I'm a hot flaming uber sexy manz0r? Well, as hot as I may be, that has no relationship to the LG :)

Here's why the Lightning Gun is ultimate suck. IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. When the lightning gun fires, I get that eletric bullet sound, except it's incredibly unimpressive. I feel like I just touched a fabric softener instead of unloaded several thousand volts of death upon my enemy.

THE LIGHTNING GUN NEEDS TO SOUND LIKE A GUN! I've held air-rifles that are more intimidating. The solution is simple. Give the lightning gun a decent firing sound.

If something fires bolts of lightning, maybe it should sound like thunder? As it stands now, I feel like I'm rubbing my feet together on a rug and poking my enemy when using this weapon.

The point? The lightning gun would be infinitely cooler if it just gave the impression that the gun actually sounded like it was shooting bolts of lightning, and not overly charged fabric softener.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Uh, who complains about the LG? People complain about the other sniper rifle.

Saverous

Mar 29, 2006
2Trynant
man, you've made me laugh.
lg sounds just like it must be. You want to hear a thunderclap or something?
I heard it somewhere... maybe in a quake?

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
hal said:
Afaik, most people like the LtG. I guess the sound is a little soft... never thought of it that way.

I'm not so sure they do. The small proportion of people who post on the forums might but that is in no way representative of the UT2004 games playing public.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I dunno... I read a number of Unreal forums and it seems to me that it is generally liked. Like you said, that doesn't mean that the people who do not post on those forums also like it, but who's to say what they like if they don't speak up?

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
All the weapon sounds are nerfed. The only one that sounds remotely decent is the goliath, and even that sounds pretty poor given the size of the damn thing.

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
hal said:
but who's to say what they like if they don't speak up?

I think thats because few people are actually that passionate about their video games. It's just a form of entertainment to pass abit of time before going back to real life (TM) and isn't viewed much differently than a film or music album. Those kinds of thing are usually discussed with your mates down the pub (or where ever you congregate to unwind with friends).
I'm not trying to be insulting - forums are a great place if you have a deeper interest in any particular subject and want to converse with like minded individuals. I'd just be alittle wary at extrapolating those opinions to the general games playing public.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, to be clear... I qualified my original post with "as far as I know" and based that on feedback I've read in numerous related forums. That's a decent sampling of people. Not everyone that cares enough to post on a forum does so to say how much they love every aspect of the game. ;)

My second point was that, unless there is a secret mass survey out there that would capture a better sampling of the general public's opinions of the Lightning Gun... all counterpoints are purely anecdotal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Everyone please listen to the booming weapon sounds of UT2003. The Ltg in 2k3 sounded AWESOME!!! Someone please fix this? Should be easily moddable...

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Sir_Brizz said:
Everyone please listen to the booming weapon sounds of UT2003. The Ltg in 2k3 sounded AWESOME!!! Someone please fix this? Should be easily moddable...
You know, I'm gonna have to install UT2003 just to see how it was different now.
Even though I detect huge amounts of sarcasm in that post.

-----------
edit:
update, installed UT2003, yeh the weapons generally sound much cooler, especially the link (also looks much better), minigun and flak. The LG appears to sound the same though.....
Just realised how much I like the Hud of UT2003, much funkier than the blandness of UT2004.

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Hmm, from the UT2003 demo I only remember the minigun sounding cruddy and a slightly different link gun sound. Everything else seemed pretty much the same.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Sound sucked, so does the SR.

The Lighning Gun was unique, and had tons of character. Which is something that cannot be applied to any sniper rifle in any game.

While the actual way it was done may have had flaws, the fact is that the Lightning Gun had class, and was a cool take on the long range hitscan weapon. I'd much rather Epic stuck with the LtG than the boring concept of a bullet sniper. I also hope they competley abandon any though of re-creating the UT99 Sniper. It was hideously overpowered, and I'm glad UT200x dumped it.

As for the weapon sound? I think most people would agree that all the sounds sucked in UT200x, weapon-related or otherwise.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Trynant said:
Here's why the Lightning Gun is ultimate suck. IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. When the lightning gun fires, I get that eletric bullet sound, except it's incredibly unimpressive. I feel like I just touched a fabric softener instead of unloaded several thousand volts of death upon my enemy.

THE LIGHTNING GUN NEEDS TO SOUND LIKE A GUN! I've held air-rifles that are more intimidating. The solution is simple. Give the lightning gun a decent firing sound.

If something fires bolts of lightning, maybe it should sound like thunder? As it stands now, I feel like I'm rubbing my feet together on a rug and poking my enemy when using this weapon.

The point? The lightning gun would be infinitely cooler if it just gave the impression that the gun actually sounded like it was shooting bolts of lightning, and not overly charged fabric softener.

:lol:
I've been saying this for months!!! It sounds like crap.
The light the lightning gives off , and the brightness of the bolt are too weak also. Otherwise it great sci fi weapon.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The_Head said:
edit:
update, installed UT2003, yeh the weapons generally sound much cooler, especially the link (also looks much better), minigun and flak. The LG appears to sound the same though.....
Not with my subwoofer cranked, it doesn't. The Ltg in 2k3 has a much more gutteral and deep sound than the 2k4 incarnation.
Just realised how much I like the Hud of UT2003, much funkier than the blandness of UT2004.
Agreed. I wish 2k4 had included a scalable version of it.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
BeerGut said:
Uh, who complains about the LG? People complain about the other sniper rifle.
There's that one guy... BeMyMonkey... He claims that if the lightning is in UT2007 he's not gonna buy it. :lol:

The lightning sounded better in UT2003. Just download the demo if you don't have the game. Flak sounded better too. If you can't hear these differences then you obviously have no reason to complain about sounds ever. :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I have to agree it could feel less "nerf'ed" (love that word) As i already started a thread way back in this forums. Saying that all i expected from UT2007 was a decent audio. If a game like Halo 2 can have this stuff UT2007 will.

Edit: There it is http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=161140

EDIT: Steelixx, another gone-by-memeber. GG

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Sir_Brizz said:
Not with my subwoofer cranked, it doesn't. The Ltg in 2k3 has a much more gutteral and deep sound than the 2k4 incarnation.
Will have to check again with the volume a bit louder, parents aren't in today so won't get yelled at ;)

edit - yeh UT2003 sounds much better all around, ecept for Captain Enthusiastic the announcer.

MR CROW!

Last edited: