PC Port of Ghost Recon 2 Canned

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
According to a news release from Tom Clancy game-making juggernaut Ubisoft, the PC port of Ghost Recon 2, originally scheduled for a June release, has been cancelled. Ubi cites the upcoming release of Ghost Recon 3, due late 2005, and their reluctance to disappoint gamers with a less-than-idea release when so many resources are being devoted to the new title.

Props to Gamespot.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
It just keep getting worse and worse.
I liked Rainbow 6; Rogue Spear (R6:2) and Ghost Recon a lot; played it a lot with my friends
Ravenshield (R6:3) wasn't really much of an improvement, but still fun to play. Only played the first Splinter Cell, the next release or add-on or whatever it was, was just more of the same.
And now GR2 cancelled for the PC, come on... the Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon are the best tactical shooter games out there, you simply can't play a game like this on a console (unles you use a keyboard and mouse).

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
El_Muerte_[TDS] said:
Only played the first Splinter Cell, the next release or add-on or whatever it was, was just more of the same.

Pandora Tomorrow was indeed. Chaos Theory is a whole lot better though.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Gheee ... at least someone with half a brain figured that trying to build 2 sequels at once and release them in the same year was a 'bad' idea. One really has to wonder what kind of genius decided to even start GR3 for the pc if GR2 hadn't been completed.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
WTF. This sucks. And Ghost Recon 3 already? No one develops games that will last anymore. They want your money every year.

So what, your going to buy Ghost Recon 3, and in Winter of 2006, Ubisoft releases Ghost Recon 4? ... lame.

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
JaFO said:
Gheee ... at least someone with half a brain figured that trying to build 2 sequels at once and release them in the same year was a 'bad' idea. One really has to wonder what kind of genius decided to even start GR3 for the pc if GR2 hadn't been completed.

Have to agree with you there.

I am a Rainbow 6 fan and am pretty concerned about whats going on with R6 Four. Xbox version is out I think, but no news, screenies, videos, nothing about the pc version execpt it's release date of June-ish. Anyway, I aint expecting much after seeing the xbox version. They said they were virtually making a totally different game for the PC, I sure hope so.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
oh well. I think a lot of the Tom Clancy games are going down the crapper anyway, I mean apparently GR2 sucked. Back in the day Tom Clancy just meant it was a decent tactical shooter. Nowadays Tom Clancy is a way to fool a lot of ignorant morons into buying something.

gg ubisoft for destroying tom clancy's name.

Reactionary

Apr 12, 2005
I really miss Rainbow Six, but I find the Xbox versions unplayable after experiencing them on PC. They arent made for Xbox! They are supposed to be for PC!
The one thing I miss the most is the ability to shoot through doors and kill people on the other side. That was tops.

{RA}SKYFURNACE

Game Mapper & Press
Apr 17, 2004
Great News! I dont like the word "port".

lets just hope pariah isnt a "port". last i heard from someone who played it said it had a "console" feel, not sure if they were playing the xbox dev version or the PC.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Reactionary said:
The one thing I miss the most is the ability to shoot through doors and kill people on the other side. That was tops.

Thats still there in Raven Shield, although u cannot shoot through the metal doors

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Juguard said:
WTF. This sucks. And Ghost Recon 3 already? No one develops games that will last anymore. They want your money every year.

So what, your going to buy Ghost Recon 3, and in Winter of 2006, Ubisoft releases Ghost Recon 4? ... lame.
I'd count on that, since Ubisoft already announced Silent Hunter 4 for next year even though SH3 is barely released (and not even close to bugfree after 2 patches).

And I'm pretty sure the next Splintercell is in development already as well, because that series has proven to be a reliable cash-cow. It even is showing the same mistakes of the Tombraider-series (...)