GameTrailers Video Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games' Mark Rein gives GameTrailers the run-down on why Unreal Tournament 2007 will be the next great PC game. The video is mixed with some older gameplay footage and a few stills. One interesting bit that I have not heard mentioned before was that the Unreal Tournament 2007 Rocket Launcher will also drop grenades like its big brother, Unreal Tournament.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Also, is it me or does Mark Rein sound more camp each time is does an interview?

Aside from the grenade thing, there's nothing new in any of that interview.

Am I the only one tired of Epic saying exactly the same things in every interview? Re-wording the same stuff doesn't make it new information.

Every time we see a screenshot, it's old.
Every time we see in-game footage, it's old.
Every time we hear someone from Epic open their mouth, it's old news.

The sad thing is that everyone is actually starting to notice that Epic are saying the same thing every time we hear them, and people are losing patience. The only two situations where there has been a large ammount of genuinely new infomation, E3 2005 and PCZone UK's feature. Fair enough, Epic wants to take their time with UT2007, I can accept that completely and I agree with it completely. But it's no excuse for not revealing a single damn thing in months.

I'll sum up most of Epic's media appearances since E3 2005:

• "Onslaught"
  • "Next-Gen"
  • "Engine"
  • "Vehicles"
  • "Graphics"
  • "We're very excited by..."
  • Old Screenshots
  • Old in-game footage.
  • Any new in-game footage or screenshot will be of things we've seen before, but from a slightly different angle.
  • Possibly a single new concept art pic.

U

Unregistered

wouldnt be too much fun if they gave away every thing now would it?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I don't think its Epic saying the same thing, but interviewers asking the same old questions. All the pictures the videos were put by the interviewer, so it wasn't really 'Epic' showing us the clips.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Most likely they are not giving too much new info because they havent nailed down many aspects of the game yet and dont want to talk about stuff that might not even be in the final game.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Yes, I know they've mentioned some gameplay features...

[Pain]Nightmare said:
All the pictures the videos were put by the interviewer, so it wasn't really 'Epic' showing us the clips.

My point is that they're only sticking the old fottage in because it's the only footage anyone has.

As for "giving it all away", I don't want them to, I just want them to say something - anything - new. Fair point, stuff might not be finalised, but it'd be nice to know so of what they're planning to do, even if it's some general gameplay features.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Plumb_Drumb said:
Well, that interview's been around for a while now.

Yep. I can't remember where I saw it posted before, but it's at least 3 weeks old I think.

About the rocket launcher spitting out grenades....what happened to the canister gun idea that houses bio, grenades, and spiders?

Torvec

GL, HF, AND DIE!!!!
Feb 2, 2006
Southeast, USA
i guess i wasn't crazy, i could have sworn i saw this video a couple weeks back, appears i wasn't the only one...

Sel, i think they're waiting for E3 06 to show off UT2K7 in full force, that's probably why they've been so secretive....i just hope they are gonna showcase it on a PC and not the damn PS3 (which they haven't been doing much lately, they've been making it sound like the game was made for the PS3 or something :mad: )

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
We want to at least get some ideas about the whole deal.

=Vector= said:
Sel, i think they're waiting for E3 06 to show off UT2K7 in full force, that's probably why they've been so secretive....i just hope they are gonna showcase it on a PC and not the damn PS3 (which they haven't been doing much lately, they've been making it sound like the game was made for the PS3 or something :mad: )

Agreed. The two things I wish Epic would actually say less about are their engine and consoles.

People want to know about the gameplay on the PC, and not just on the vehicle gametypes. A lot of people are getting a little worried that virtually nothing's been said of the traditional UT gametypes (DM/CTF).

I think you're probably right about E3, but I hope Epic does the job about all parts of the game, not just the engine and vehicles. That's gotten boring already.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
E3 is just around the corner, it wouldn't be very smart of them if they started giving away too much information. It'll only serve to deflate their balloon, figuratively speaking, and they'll want to create as big a buzz as possible at the show, especially considering that they're now developing the game for a wider market. I'm sure we'll get plenty of information and hopefully plenty of footage at E3.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I'm pretty sure that new sounds is something that is going to be done at a later stage in the developing process.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the news about the grenades pleases me oh so much. I always felt that the RL lacked that extra dimension to it like the original eightball and UT RL had.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Majik- said:
I'm pretty sure that new sounds is something that is going to be done at a later stage in the developing process.

TRUE

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Selerox said:
Agreed. The two things I wish Epic would actually say less about are their engine and consoles.

They will never stop talking about Unreal Engine 3 tech, it's their meal ticket, it's always come first.

nDru

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
Add_x101 said:
The issue for me is sound, its the same as UT2004, PLAYER VOICES...

That's one of the really big annoyances to me in the UT200x games so far. I really liked UT's though. Here's hoping.