Dead Guys don't talk

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I

IndiQa

First let me say I have been guilty of this as anyone but I do think it needs to be addressed. And I will not do it again. I really really promise.

I also realize it is very tempting to do it.

When some one is killed and is put in the waiting que there should be I think, a way to kill the talk/teamtalk to the players still on the playing field. i.e. "Red sniper is behind the crates" or "playerX is in building A2".

Talk between "Dead Guys" should be allowed as it helps pass the time until the next round.
Armchair quarterbacking as it were.

Also messages from the still active players could be seen by the "Dead Guys".

More thoughts and questions as I think of them.

IndiQa

W

Warren

Man, I'm just as guilty.. I confess, it was me.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You're right tho- I think most all of us can admit that dead people don't talk.. It is pretty tempting too. Think we should get rid of this feature?

I

IndiQa

Well since I'm not real familiar with mod coding I'm just sort of tossing ideas out for you smart people to think on.

Is it possible to restrict the display of messages on a client which is active(playing) only to other active clients yet allow the client messages of those that are inactive(Dead Guys) to be displayed only on other inactive clients?

Active client message->Active & Inactive Clients(Inactive receives active player messages)

Inactive client message->Inactive Clients only(Active players do not see inactive messages)

This way we who spend a lot of time in the inactive area could discuss the game among ouselves.

If this would put a lot of overhead on the server then I wouldn't do it since we need to keep the bandwidth usage as trim as possible.

btw could you also put a beer machine in the Dead Guys area ?? Those of us who spend a lot of time there would appreciate it. :)

IndiQa

R

Robes

I agree, dead guys shouldn't be able to talk with alive guys - but should be able to natter amongst thamselves.

I also agree with the post about times rounds - there has to be a limit, its hurting my phone bill too much /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

D

DanielK

I used to think that dead guys helping their teamates was bad form, but I have changed my mind.

First, it does give you something to do while you wait for the round to end. Even if you are dead, you can still participate and help out your team. It can also speed up the end of the round so that you can play again. On really big maps, like Hillbase, two players can go round and round for ten minutes without seeing eachother. If both teams are doing it, it does not seem like an unfair thing to do.

Second, if you are worried about realism, you can think of it as the CIA sending you information from intelligence gathered by satelites and other sources. I have grown to love the little messages from my guardian angels telling me what is around the next corner....even if half the time they are wrong. I also like to help out teamates, as this adds to the fun of the game.

Realism has its place, but this is a game, and games are supposed to be fun. I think modifying this feature would be a mistake. Note that those players chosen to beta test 2.5 use teamsay after they are dead, too. I think that the distinction should be made between realist and purist. It is part of what makes Standoff fun.

No one should expect everyone to be happy with any game. We are all individuals and have different experiance, not to mention languages in some cases. Kudos to the INF team for not only making a great game, but to being open to others critisisms, wants, and gripes. Kudos to SOB for bringing a net community together. And thank you all for letting me be a part of it.

DanielK

I

IndiQa

DanielK makes some good points for the other side of this topic and I can't say I really disagree with him. I think maybe what I might have been looking for, and what Warren & Cat should do is get a concensus from the community on the feelings about this. If a majority of us Infiltrators say it's OK then we go with it. If not then see if you can eliminate it. If it is an accepted/expected tactic then I won't feel guilty when I do it. And no one else should either. And not get flamed for doing it.

This has got to be the best mod I've seen for a FPS and even tho' I love CTF, INF has replaced it as #1. Even if I can't score fer crap. :) I've even dusted off the old UREd and am in process of making a INF map myself.

IndiQa

W

Warren

Good points all! It's both an unrealistic aspect, but it helps speed up gameplay which can be VERY nice sometimes. Keep your opinions coming on this topic and we'll see about getting a new poll up on the main page (about frickin' time, eh?).. Fact is though, I haven't a clue how hard this would be to do for Catalyst, so we'll have to wait for his answer too..

Z

zeug

I'm definitely for keeping team talk in for spectators ... why make an early death even more boring? At least we can reconnoitre and make the game end faster, and those teams that get blown away too quickly have an advantage in surveillance numbers to even things up a little. Dying in standoff shouldn't mean being relegated to a passive viewer, you've just been seconded to army intelligence and you've got a job to do.

Z

zeug

Come to think of it why not add an option for one team member to start as a spectator/commander? Good teams could then have dedicated intelligence gathering and a central command providing tactics from the beginning if they so choose... disorganized teams w/o commanders would be mincemeat. Be one way of getting those idle spectators involved in the battle, have them all report to central command /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

D

DaddyBone

Well, my 2 cents worth! I really like the little white lines from above... Sorta like a God who is wrong every now and then... Actually, I think they should stay in, it's only on maps when you could zoom way up to the sky and see the whole view below that it really seems like cheating...

S

Spuck

I think the talking helps for all the forementioned reasons plus it gives the underdog (the guy with more dead team mates) a slight advantage /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif