USB Troubles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I’m trying to figure out what is going on with my USB ports. I’ve had this Logitech headset for over a year and when I first bought it, I had no trouble when I plugged it in. Now, I’m having problems with it and other things like my digital camera and my scanner.

I have XP Pro and I was getting nothing from my headset when I plugged it in so I went into the sound configuration and selected the USB headset as my default playback. That worked when I tried playing an MP3, however my speakers have always been the default playback and the headset still worked. I have “use only default devices” unchecked on my Audio tab.

Anyway, although that got my music working, my WinTV gave me an error and would not open. WinTV would open if I set the default playback to my speakers, but I had no sound with WinTV. I ended up going into my hardware devices and deleting all the USB devices and the Human devices. Then I rebooted and the PC found the USB devices and installed the drivers. Then when I plugged my headset in, it found the headset and set it up and that worked for one of my four 2.0 ports until I tried adjusting the volume for WinTV. So, I plugged the headset into my second USB port and it configured that and my sound worked fine through the headset. I could hear WinTV and MP3s. I left things alone after that.

I shut the system down last night and tried the headset today and nothing. Now, I also have this HP scanner that seems to only work if I load the drivers and not shut off the PC. If I boot back up, I have to install the drivers again. And, my digital camera isn’t recognized when I plug it in sometimes. I have to unplug it and try again a time or two.

I have four 2.0 USB ports on the front and I’ve tried them all, so I don’t think it’s a connection problem at the plug. I have two 1.1 plugs in the back, but I don’t ever use those. This seems like a conflict with my system. Something is screwing with my settings and fudding things up. I noticed yesterday, after plugging in the headset a bunch of times, I finally got an error saying the device was not recognized. Any ideas?

SpiritWalker

Tattooed Beat Messiah / Prime Mover
Feb 20, 2002
NC
webpages.charter.net
ouch.....

try.....

using just that USB device... with no other USB devices hooked up.. if it works that way.. you may want to check you IRQs.. probably not the issue.. but if you were working with any other type of device that's where I would begin

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I got things working for now, but who knows how long that will last. Since there are no drivers for my headset or camera, I decided to check into FAQs for my HP scanner. I found a FAQ with my exact problem. It said to go into my USB root hubs and turn off the power management feature. It said the ports weren’t waking up like they should be. This seemed to make sense with my scanner and my camera, and maybe my headset.

So after installing new drivers for my WinTV, I deleted all the USB root hubs from the device list, rebooted, let it find the hubs and set them up, then I turned off the power management to all the hubs. I tired my first port and my headset worked. I rebooted and my headset still worked. I tried my scanner and it worked. I think I have it now.