I hate the name and the logo!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
OMG, i hope today was the april fool's day
what an idiot name it is.
why they don't understand simple is sometimes more cool than complicated
and the name just tells me they don't have courage to make a real next gen title. I have to assume they just want to make a updated ut2k4 which including some elements looking like from UT1
That's really bad for me and i have to pray it won't turn out to be like that finally

And also the logo, it's almost the same logo of ut2k3,2k4, just replacing the 2003/2004 with 2007 and the color is different. Damned, are they too lazy to make a totally new design?
I ever hoped there will be a powerful "III" in the logo, just under the big name "UNREAL TOURNAMENT", now i am totally pissed off

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
i'm with moon, I guess I was too hopeful they were going to drop the years in the title and was hoping for UT3 (or 4) or UT:*Name of Great Power here*. UT2007 doesn't sound fun or interesting and probably won't interest any new people and only hard core UT fans who own every other Unreal game including U2.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Hunter said:
i'm with moon, I guess I was too hopeful they were going to drop the years in the title and was hoping for UT3 (or 4) or UT:*Name of Great Power here*. UT2007 doesn't sound fun or interesting and probably won't interest any new people and only hard core UT fans who own every other Unreal game including U2.

That's right......really a pitty, but enough time remains to make it better :) I hope Epic makes the best of it....

²Hunter:
By the way how is the UT(99)-Mod going on? Or on which site I can read the progress? Is a fantastic idea!

Doorgeslagen

Oblivion Guru
May 10, 2005
The Netherlands
cu2.nl
Hunter said:
I guess that is me then. I like the name and cant wait for this new version. I hope they can bring the good old ut99 gameplay back mixed with ut2004.

I dont know why you guys hate it. Maybe you where expecting a new game, and I can understand that. In a way they are unoriginal and doing something very basic. But why change a winning concept right?

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
what we want is not entirely a new game, but a game based on superb taste, which was only showed in ut99
hmmm, it's really hard to describe what i mean as for "superb taste", but maybe you could check half life 2, which is also a sci-fi shooter game but has indeed superb taste!
so imagine half life 2 was named as half life 2005, can't be even more funny like that
and also compared to Quake 4! Quake 4, wow, that is what we want it to be called.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Doorgeslagen said:
I dont know why you guys hate it. Maybe you where expecting a new game, and I can understand that. In a way they are unoriginal and doing something very basic. But why change a winning concept right?
That's the point. It's not that winning of a concept. Player numbers for UT2004 are very low and the amount of normal, standard servers not running sh*tty mutators is way too close to zero for comfort.

If they call it UT2007, they are basically dooming it for failure due to poor sales.

Doorgeslagen

Oblivion Guru
May 10, 2005
The Netherlands
cu2.nl
I know what you mean. I also want it to be as 99, and luckily they are doing it. Whether it is good to include some 2004 goodness I don’t know but I get you're point.

And the name problem, I don’t care much, what is the difference between Unreal4 and UT2007?

I must agree, I would buy the game more faster if it was called UnrealTournament2 :lol:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
If they call it UT2007, they are basically dooming it for failure due to poor sales.

Yeah, but people would have to be a downright Goddamn idiot to not buy it simply because "omfg it's called UT2007 and not UT3".

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
MäxX said:
That's right......really a pitty, but enough time remains to make it better :) I hope Epic makes the best of it....

²Hunter:
By the way how is the UT(99)-Mod going on? Or on which site I can read the progress? Is a fantastic idea!

I'm not running it any more due to real life commitments, afaik there isn't much going on with it as nothing has been released to the community or anything for months.

Anyway back on topic, I sure hope epic listen to the community about the name at least. UT2007 is just going to fail otherwise.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nemephosis said:
Yeah, but people would have to be a downright Goddamn idiot to not buy it simply because "omfg it's called UT2007 and not UT3".
Have you read the other threads on this topic? Calling it UT2007 will make people who were on the ropes with UT2003/4 not buy it. People who didn't like them won't think twice about buying UT2007 because they'll think it's just a rehashed carbon copy like the move from UT2003 to UT2004 was (and nearly every football game in existence). The whole point of moving away from hitscan, nerfing the movement, adding Conquest, et al, was to get away from the current feel and draw in more new players to the series. I can't foresee calling the game UT2007 doing this. At all.

I'd bet that most people here will buy it no matter what it's called (myself included), but that won't bring any new people in, will it? That won't improve the crap number of players online currently for UT2004, will it?

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
Have you read the other threads on this topic? Calling it UT2007 will make people who were on the ropes with UT2003/4 not buy it. People who didn't like them won't think twice about buying UT2007 because they'll think it's just a rehashed carbon copy like the move from UT2003 to UT2004 was (and nearly every football game in existence). The whole point of moving away from hitscan, nerfing the movement, adding Conquest, et al, was to get away from the current feel and draw in more new players to the series. I can't foresee calling the game UT2007 doing this. At all.

I'd bet that most people here will buy it no matter what it's called (myself included), but that won't bring any new people in, will it? That won't improve the crap number of players online currently for UT2004, will it?
Do we need idiots like that playing it anyway?

Their loss and nobody elses.

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
sorry but names like that suck :p why would you want it to be *Game Name*: *Something About it*
:con:

people only call Unreal Tournament ut99 because it could confuse people into thinking you are refering to the unreal tournament series as a whole.

JonAzz said:
sorry but names like that suck :p why would you want it to be *Game Name*: *Something About it*
:con:

people only call Unreal Tournament ut99 because it could confuse people into thinking you are refering to the unreal tournament series as a whole.

fair enough,

i know they suck, but just the sort of general view, than teh year names

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
i asked a few my friends. who never bought ut2003, 2004 and they just assumed 2007 will be an updated ut2004(and the most improvement is from the graphic) so they don't plan to buy 2007 if this game won't be able to improve itself
and for those never played any UT games, they won't care what the name will be, they won't buy 2007 just coz it's 2007, not ut3. they will check all kinds of reviews and the comments from the community and also the demo then they decide if they should buy it

Kirin[SC]

恐いハチミツボイ
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville NC
www.saphiria.net
Personally, I could give a crap of what it's called ... if the demo kicks butt then I'm buying it. I don't care if it's called "CliffyB Tournament 20X6: The Epic Battle" or whatever.

On a serious note, I'd wait until theirs a demo of the game before saying anything about it. Sure the naming scheme is kinda lame but if the game looks a lot cooler and plays well then I might consider making a purchase ... but then again, I'm going to need to upgrade my computer to play it. My PC's at home could BARELY run Doom 3 and I can't play games on my Mac.