What's the source for the game name info?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:( We just received official word from Midway, UT2007 is the confirmed name for the next UT game.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch, they're making uber high poly models for all that normal mapped goodness, the engine looks nothing less than pure unadulterated secks, and they go and call it UT2007. GG's guys.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Wow, so far I see four threads discussing the same thing. Two here, and two in the news section.

People are really interested in the name!

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
2007????????? The world may have come to its end by then.

On the other hand it is comforting that there are software developers (and of the best kind) that take longer than me to complete a project.

Wonder if my boss will buy this nonsense....hmmmmm

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Renegade Retard said:
2007 is in the name. That doesn't mean it will be released in 2007. UT2003 was released in 2002 if I recall.

Yes end of 2002 (October)

Still I think this time they will keep the promise. GPUs with the power of 2 SLI 6800GTs are about 18 months away...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Radiosity said:
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch
This is probably the biggest misconception in the Unreal Community. The engine has never been rewritten from scratch, and the only comment made about it is that all the major parts of the engine have been REWORKED (which is entirely different from rewritten from scratch).

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
might as well be from scratch, the whole rendering and lighting engine has been rewritten, the whole textures and materials engine has been rewritten, the physics engine is completely new, the skeletal animation has been reworked, completely different particle engine...............................

Only the core stuff in the engine is still there, static meshes, various actors, terrain, volumes, zones, stuff that doesn't need to be rewritten

having said that it will probably be easier to convert levels and stuff from ut2kx to Envy than it was from ut99 to ut2kx

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Brizz - it can't really be a misconception when Steve Polge himself stated that they've re-written the entire engine. There is nothing in there from any previous version of the engine.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Radiosity said:
They've completely rewritten the engine from scratch, they're making uber high poly models for all that normal mapped goodness, the engine looks nothing less than pure unadulterated secks, and they go and call it UT2007. GG's guys.

FULL FRONTAL POLYGONS!!!!!

On the subject though, I am dissapointed in the name. It may be a "sports" game in some peolpe's mnd, but its a BLOOD SPORT, not football. UT2007 just sounds so weak to me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Radiosity said:
Brizz - it can't really be a misconception when Steve Polge himself stated that they've re-written the entire engine. There is nothing in there from any previous version of the engine.
Want to link your source?

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
hey brizz if you are a programmer ask yourself that:

how many times have you gone about re-writting a program for its next generation release only to get frustrated and dump the whole thing and start from scratch.

I have done it ALL the times.

I expect EPIC's initial plan was to reuse and about now they are re-writing...

could be wrong though... could be wrong though

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is just no reason to rewrite the whole engine. They are still using things which are undeniably Unreal FIRST GENERATION. You know what they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. I'm sure they fix things that aren't broke, but why replace things that work just fine? For example, UScript.

gamespot did an entire preview on "UT2007" complete with an interview with Mike Capps. its UT2007. yeah, it may not be the greatest name, but in the end does it really ****ing matter? dont you care more about something as skin deep as the game's name? The Goo Goo Dolls have quite possibly the worst band name in history but that dosnt stop them from being a great band.