Mad against Freelance lazy mappers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
FurociousFa said:
not everyone tries to be a fag, and hide arties in games you know :lol:
What!?! That is news to me! :lol:

Anyway, I'm trying to give some credit to this post about "freelance lazy mappers". They really need to be better about this crap. Yeah, I'd rather not have to worry about these "spots" in scrims, but guess what... it's a fact of life until they get fixed.

Last edited:

FurociousFa

Banned
Apr 1, 2004
MI
well..small map making community of maybe 5-10 people (now anyways), and very few do a real beta test because of few servers to have them run on, and some just don't care enough to fix them *cough cough*

in scrims....have you ever been in a scrim bleeder oO?

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
Well it seems this thread lost it's focus - maps . Silverbud(POD) , PRG , Xaero have valid points about open maps , but is it going to change people's idea's of maps ? No . I will not tell people there maps suck , they put time and effort into them , give them some credit . Silverbud is an awesome gunner , so is PRG . Xaero a great tech and these guys are all beta testers , for them to bring up this topic , just tell's yea somethings wrong . I'm not second guessing these guys I've played with all of them , but I just play the game for what it's worth , hoping for the win .

Last edited:

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
You know, the map which is played best with XMP classes should be Garden type: Three ways to other base, Big base, Doors to hack, some teleporters for shortcuts and enegy sources and deploys somewhere in the middle of the map. Make such map, make it look good, and most ppl will say that it is good map. However making something different and see how XMP is played in other type of map, is more interesting.

/EDIT and FOUR ARTIFACTS.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Bleeder said:
I will even go so far as to say that maps w/ more than one base per side could be interesting...
Such as Last Rites? Its hanger is seperate from the base, with a teleporter connecting them.
Don't get me wrong tho, Last Rites is not the first map to have that.

Or do you mean something like another node in another base... Because without a node, the other "base" has much less significance.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Well, some other "problems" with custom XMP maps are their sheer size. Wasteland, Xaemia, Cemetary, and Islands all come to mind. None of them bad maps, but everything is soooo spread out and it takes forever to get anywhere. Garden helped by adding teleporters across parts of the map (I tried to but failed with the teleports across Wasteland). I'm not against people trying new things in XMP. I think its cool, just sometimes more thought and planning needs to be put into them. XMP is a thinking person's game, about strategy as much as fragging. Same should be said about planning a map around the common tastes, playstyles, balance, etc.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
takwu said:
Such as Last Rites? Its hanger is seperate from the base, with a teleporter connecting them.
Don't get me wrong tho, Last Rites is not the first map to have that.

Or do you mean something like another node in another base... Because without a node, the other "base" has much less significance.
Yes, yes, what I mean is two separate bases per team, each base with its own node. LastRites only has the one node per team. Yes there are maps with multiple nodes, but they are usually close to one another, not in separate bases... Nobody has really touched this idea yet, unless there is some obscure map that I'm forgetting...

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
FurociousFa said:
well..small map making community of maybe 5-10 people (now anyways), and very few do a real beta test because of few servers to have them run on, and some just don't care enough to fix them *cough cough*?
Yes the small XMP community definitely lends its hand to this issue. Perhaps things will get better with UTXMP. Things could also get worse tho :(

FurociousFa said:
in scrims....have you ever been in a scrim bleeder oO?
Several... most notably for JXL.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
So if you owned both nodes you win already?

Bleeder, yes that would be interesting. But if you have more than 4 art, one node could be full so you gotta ask your teamates where to reg your art, since the nodes are further apart ;) If you have 4 art only, and you can reg all 4 in either or both node, then that's not a problem.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
takwu said:
...if you have more than 4 art, one node could be full so you gotta ask your teamates where to reg your art, since the nodes are further apart...
true... more than four artis per team is a bit much (long matches...) and confusing due to HUD limitations (only four artis can be displayed)... see below

takwu said:
...If you have 4 art only, and you can reg all 4 in either or both node, then that's not a problem...
I was hoping that there is a way to allow registering only two artis per node... Basically each of the two nodes per team would start with one arti instead of two artis.

NRK

Nercury
Apr 20, 2004
Lithuania
Bleeder said:
I was hoping that there is a way to allow registering only two artis per node... Basically each of the two nodes per team would start with one arti instead of two artis.

CTF

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Bleeder, I tried to workaround the HUD limit by introducing the EightGame and TwelveGame gametypes. You can download cXp beta and see how they work in Simplicity and ArtiDozenRaptors, respectively.
If you want to limit the node to hold 2 artifacts only, it is really easy - if you are a coder. You simply subclass the node and change a number.

NRK I think Bleeder wants to keep 4 artifacts, just on 2 seperate nodes instead of one. That way it's not CTF, still very XMP, just slightly different.

Status
Not open for further replies.