Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

You mean these packages ?:

UnrealArt_URP.utx
UTArt_URP.utx
Xmas_A_URP.utx

Those packages are made by myself and they also have full S3TC support. In time i will release dozens of new packages that mappers can use to build new levels. And as said, all will have S3TC but also CTF support. The releases have not been made public yet, and i will do so if there are really interesting package being released. And its up to you to install them or not, they are not essential files and are only needed if you play a map that uses them. But if you have the harddrive space, than my advise would be, simply install those as well. Better safe than sorry :)

As for the renderers, i guess that v3.6 for UT will do just fine, though its a beta version. But if you encounter serious problems, you may want to go down to the lates stable version being v3.5 which you can find on this page: utglr

For Unreal you can install patch 227, but seeing the fact you aim at SP and COOP than the current beta will break with RTNP or any other map(s) that make use of the Upack.

So i asume you are better off with the OMP patches which can be found on this page: OMP Patches

But of course if you dont have UnrealGold and RTNP than you can safelly install beta patch 227f which can be found on this page: Unreal Mainpage And patch 227 does contain some serious cool stuff like decals, footstep prints if you come out of the water and lots of more cool goodies. The final version of patch 227 will also have full RTNP support, so its just a matter of time. But for now, if you want to play RTNP than 227 is a no go....

Diehard

Almost forgot, no, the renderers will not have any effect on mods or maps, they just make sure your game will handle the latest textures and fix crucial problems in older renderers. And for both the Unreal and UT patches go, they are absolute crucial updates, so in that respect you HAVE to have them installed.

seeker3

Mar 8, 2010
Abbotsford BC
Thank you for the prompt answers!:) I play Unreal(Gold) and RTNP thru UT mostly but also separately and I just want to clarify something if I may.I sometimes have problems after playing RTNP on UT and I'm now wondering if it's because I patched Unreal to 227f? Are you saying that if I patch/leave Unreal at 226 it will run much better in and out of UT? If so it would explain a lot!! Also should I do the textures in Unreal as well?

Diehard

From what i understand you are saying, than the answer is no. If you patch UT than thats completelly limited to UT and this will not affect Unreal in any way. Vice versa the same thing, you can throw any patch in Unreal you want, but it wont effect UT in any way.

And now i understand you have plain Unreal(224) which you did patch 227 and you use UT to play RTNP. Than that should work just fine. Because i means you have the very latest patch for Unreal, and you still can play RTNP through UT.

The reason why patch 227 cant be used for RTNP for Unreal is because it will disable the Upack which is needed to play RTNP. And personally i hate the situation, because it always makes it difficult to tell people what patch to use for Unreal. But its a temporary problem that will be solved in the final release.

But as said, patching Unreal with 227 will absolute not reflect on UT. All patches for Unreal and UT only update the system folder per game, it doesnt add files globally in Windows or something similar. Its only a local update on the games systemfolder.

So if you have a problem with UT of some kind, than its limited to some problem in UT and has no bearing to Unreal.

And yeah, if you want the high res textures for Unreal, than yeah, download those as well and add them to Unreal. Smee thing there, Unreal uses its own texture folder and UT uses its own texture folder. Its not the case that Unreal can "borrow" textures from the UT texture folder.

Last edited:

seeker3

Mar 8, 2010
Abbotsford BC
Once again thanks Diehard:) What I meant about problems is after I play RTNP in UT I have to fiddle with it a bit that's all,no problems with UT itself.:)

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Diehard,

I have been away from UT for a while and am trying to get caught up. I have all your High End textures from the first post.

Unfortunately I have a really hard time navigating your site. Can you please post a link to where any and all Extreme texture downloads are so that I can get the best visual quality you have available ?

Many thanks and keep up the great work.

Diehard

Upfront, i really would like to know why the navigation gives you problems. And its certainly not the first time i hear this. Actually it happens alot. And i am wondering if this applies to the entire site, or is it limited to the texture section?

The texture department is difficult simply due to the sheer amount of options there are, and i would like to see input before you read ahead below where i explain where to find the textures you are looking for.

So if you want to give input than please stop reading here before i tell you and influence you, and tell what bothers you on the navigation.

Continue:

On itself it is like this:

- Click Unreal Tournament
- Click Downloads
- Click Textures
- Click S3TC Extreme End
- Click Stock UT and start downloading

And i agree it might be smart to change all Stock UT buttons for Single Files. But in the past that also created a conflict but i forgot what. On the other hand, alo of changes were made a few months ago, and maybe the change does allow to have Single Files after all.

If above doesnt work for you continue below:

Continue:

Direct link to the downloads for the Extreme End packages:
http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Website/Downloads/Textures/ExtremeEnd/StockUT/UTExtremeEnd.htm

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Hi bro,

I didn't mean to upset you. Its just that FOR ME it was slightly confusing.
Navigation is usually linear

UT > Downloads > Textures> S3TC Extreme>Stock

The main problem I found on the site is that as you navigate through buttons don't disappear and it gives too many options. Downloads should point straight to download imho and not to info pages as valuable as they are .... perhaps a link on the download page to the info pages ect might be possible/preferable.

Its your site .... ultimately you decide.

Diehard

Oh no, i am not upset, i only asked because i really do hear that often, and i simply want to improove the site so people can easelly find what they need. So please dont pick it up as me being upset or something similar.

Yep, buttons keep being in sight so you can easelly go back without pressing the back button on top of your screen. On itself this should enable fast navigation. But true, it does mean that theres alot of buttons in plain sight.

And normally, the page itself gives info for the buttons on the leftside. I did that on purpose, because too often people didnt know what they were looking at, and a page giving explanations should help here. And its either that or no explanation at all, which is also unwanted.

In the past i added a button on the main page of the site called downloads, and there it used the same script as www.ut-files.com does. But i had to remove the script under pressure of my hosting company as it took waaaay too many resources from the server its running on. And i could make it myself, but that will consume alot of extra time i (currently) dont have. But if i got any time left i could have a second look at it.

And of course another problem is that there really are alot of options, and mainly in the texture department. And that simply cannot be be bypassed at all. After all there are normal, low end, high end, extreme end textures. And aside those, you got the stock textures, homemade, projects and what more.

But i do have an idea to what your main problem is, and it pretty much points to the direct downloads i already had, but which i had to remove again....... So ill keep that in mind if i work on the site again.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
I tried out the Extreme End textures, and wow. UT is even more beautiful. The update for the mountains in skyboxes is amazing, too...now the view in Dreary is just breathtaking. To see blue skies with a faint yellow light on the horizon, masked by mountains underneath the eternal rain...what an experience.

Just curious though, have you ever heard of problems with either BTPlusPlus or i4Games_InstaGib_200810.u? Since I implemented S3TC textures, some Bunnytracks maps on servers running these mods leave me frozen in spawn, unable to mouselook, move, or shoot. I left a message on i4g asking if they know about any S3TC texture conflicts.

It's not worth going back to low-quality :lol: UT is just too beautiful now. I'm used to the yellow train-cars in AS-HiSpeed too now, haha.

Edit: pic of Dreary skybox: http://chronofan.com/Zeality/Dreary.png

This is why the game was named Unreal. It's standing on another world, hyper-realistic and completely different... I wonder how I"d take an SS without the HUD showing, though.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
^yea I agree dreary looks amazing now. played facing worlds the other day and spent about a minute or two staring at the high quality globe! :)

Diehard

Just curious though, have you ever heard of problems with either BTPlusPlus or i4Games_InstaGib_200810.u? Since I implemented S3TC textures, some Bunnytracks maps on servers running these mods leave me frozen in spawn, unable to mouselook, move, or shoot. I left a message on i4g asking if they know about any S3TC texture conflicts.

This is a known issue and is called the "skating player glitch" and less known "the frozen player glitch" the solution to the problem is discribed in this article: S3TC Server Packages

The culprit of the story is that serveradmins have either S3TC or so called net textures installed who give a conflict during online playing. The problem is easelly solved by installing the textures from the 1st CD or better have them download the files offered on that instrucktion page.

There is a clientsided solution in the make. Someone on these forums has been investigating the problem, and found the original creator from the S3TCfix. He was able to discribe the problem, and i quote here:

Effectively though, the problem is that there are 3 sets of textures out there:

1) Default ones that came with the game
2) Ones for the dedicated servers (I believe no actual texture info is present here -- just name stubs)
3) S3TC textures

#3 is conformed (name table aligned) to #1. #2 also is conformed to #1. However, both #3 and #2 have new names -- and they are not conformed to each other. Consequently, the name tables are not aligned when playing on a server with texture pack #2 and you don't receive correct animation names.

The s3fix effectively modified the S3TC textures to align their name tables/generation info to match #2. How it did this I don't remember exactly. I believe I just manually ran conform against #2 and then looked at the modifications. The patch then stored these modifications and ran them on the s3tc textures.

This has been tested(not by me) and it seems its fixable clientsided, e.g. i need to make the textures conform to eachother and re-release ALL S3TC packages for UT agian. This could have been done months ago, but i am simply to ill to do anything decent, as a matter a fact i have not been able to do anything this entire year, so its not going to well with me.

Needs to be said, there are some puzzling things in the story above, as i use the 1st CD textures to create the S3TC packages, so from that point of view the story looks flaw. But testing shows a different result and it seems to work never the less. As said, seeing my health i cannot predict when i re-release the packages, just i hope it will be soon.

Aside all above, where i could i have been working on several S3TC updates, but those too have to wait till i am a bit better. But i am glad you like the textures, and thats the important part. But yeah, you simply could point admins to the mainpage from www.UnrealTexture.com and have them click the "skating player glitch: link on the frontpage.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks, I'll post these at fragnesscity. I'm sure to promote unrealtexture.com too :) I've told a lot of players how beautiful UT looks while playing.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Hey, just in case it hasn't been reported:

Textureexample.png

Some sky texture border mismatching.

Had High End before, then installed Extreme End by overwriting. Sorry if it's been reported before; low on time to re-read the thread.

Diehard

Yes it has been reported though not on this site. And the solution is quite simple, but same thing there, my health prevented from fixing it.

The error is caused by the new mergertool which i used to process all packages in the latest update. Apearently the tool causes an error where on occasion the clouds become non-tilable, as you can see in the screenshot. The same error also caused certain masked textures to disapear completelly. Luckelly both errors seem to be very rare. And the solution is to rerelease the packages involved while using the old mergertool with exception of the HubEffects and XbpFX package that really depends on the new mergertool.

The new tool was developed to fix the procedural problems that prevented the release from HubEffects and XbpFX for a long time. But unfortunatelly it also created 2 new errors. Casey who is doing the development is working to fix the tool.

But its a real shame, because it always has been a spearpoint in my project to have NO errors in the packages. And each time something did happen, wheather its a technical fault or i simply made an error myself i wanted to have it fixed within 24 hours of discovery.

But luckelly both errors are very rare, henge the fact it took 4-5 months before it was discovered by someone on these forums. But as soon as my health allowes it, all 3 errors(non tiling clouds, disapearence of masked, and the skating player glitch) will be be fixed by me.

P.S. i rely heavely on you guys to do bugreports, so if you find a weird error, please always report it, as most errors are stupid errors on my part and in general can be fixed easelly. So if you see something weird, always come forward, and tell it here.

ZeaLitY

Modernaire
Feb 28, 2008
Okay, understood. That explains also why the girders in CTF-Eagles aren't masked.

I absolutely love this project; thanks for all your hard work.

Diehard

Okay, understood. That explains also why the girders in CTF-Eagles aren't masked.

No, thats new to me, and i had a look at it, and the grate texture is the LeadW1 textre in the Indus6 package. That package was never updated(will be soon though, because of several request's) But that grate texture is masked by default and is also added masked to the map.

The girder texture is more of a problem, its the CrosGrdr texture thats sitting in the Metalmys package, and is by default NOT masked. In the map its set to masked, so it should apear masked. This package too was never updated by me.

I guess its the same problem that haunted UT before, where they added a texture to the package that should have been masked, but for whatever reason it was flagged non-masked on release.

And if i ever do that package, than the decision needs to be made by me to make it masked or not. But for now, that to me sounds like a render problem. And i asume the renderer is not processing correctly to the masked flag that the mapper used.

In any case, it has nothing to do with the current updates. And its simple, i didnt work on the package, so its 100% an Epic release and not mine. But if you guys can tell me if this specific texture is always used in a masked form, than i could release an update to try fix it, and try force it to be masked. And i could do that without an actual update on the textures themselves. So basically it would be a technical update to fix a masking problem.

Up to you guys to have me do that or not.

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
Show Stopper

Diehard,

I am afraid to report that I have MAJOR problems with the current textures. My server unreal://66.55.146.234:7777 has your server packages as per requirements, however when I spawn in ctf-Face for instance I am unable to move. My mates though see me skating across the map. Ping also skyrockets and stays that way.

Has this bug been reported to you ?

My current setup is ut 4.36 with latest open gl and High End + Extreme End Textures.

I know the problem is the textures because I spent many hours trying to nail things down. All is good up to the stock Epic s3tc textures.

CTF maps
Face SE
Face
Face ][
High
Kosov
Noxion
Nucleus
Orbital

Last edited: