UE3 - UT3 Create gametype sample..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
Hi all, long time no see :)

Just getting back into UT2004/UT3 after a break playing CoD4 :eek:

Anyways, ive been trawling the internet looking for any samples on how to start creating a new team based gametype. Anyone know of any good examples on this kind of thing.

I just need a pointer to help me on my way :)

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Thanks AM. Was looking for more of a guided walk-through of the basic steps, but i should be able to work most of it out from the default gametypes in the source i guess/hope :eek:
Well, you can literally make any type of game you want with the engine, so writing a tutorial for custom gametypes would either be too specific or too vague. Best to just think about what type of game you want to make, then think about the individual pieces that you'd need to make it work, then go from there. :)

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
Well, you can literally make any type of game you want with the engine, so writing a tutorial for custom gametypes would either be too specific or too vague. Best to just think about what type of game you want to make, then think about the individual pieces that you'd need to make it work, then go from there. :)

Of course, you are absolutely correct in that :)

I have a whole load of stuff written down and im happy that I can achieve quite a bit of it without much fuss, but having never created a gametype before leaves me with lots of unanswered questions...

I think I can use CTF bases in this gametype as a starting point, but Instead of having a blue team base and red team base, these bases will just be A and B. One team attacking either of those bases, the other team trying to defend them. I dont want my attacking team to carry a flag though, but an Orb instead (though a flag would still be ok).

Ive only done a bit of mutator coding previous to thinking about this project, so this may be way to ambitious....

I think I would benefit from having someone to work with (even if they have limited experience too), but we'll see :)

Congratulations on your mod (in the contest) btw :)

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
OK, I cant use existing CTF maps, so will have to create custom maps for this gametype.

Now, I will still be using CTF bases. Because this game will switch sides at half time, both teams will have a go at attacking 2 "neutral" bases designated A and B. My question is, how does my gametype know which of the bases in the map are "neutral"?

Obviously i will create a test map and place 4 bases. 1 Red, 1 blue, and 2 neutral but I dont understand how to make my gametype know that...

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
I have a compile error that I dont understand why its happening (despite the error description) or how to fix it....

I have created a basic class called UTSDBombSite which extends UTGameObjective the same as UTCTFBase does.

I then have a class called UTSDBombSite_Content which extends UTSDBombSite.

In UTSDBombSite_Content's defaultproperties, i have this:
Code:
defaultproperties
{
   Begin Object Class=AudioComponent Name=TakenSoundComponent ObjName=TakenSoundComponent Archetype=AudioComponent'Engine.Default__AudioComponent'
      SoundCue=SoundCue'A_Gameplay.CTF.Cue.A_Gameplay_CTF_FlagAlarm_Cue'
      Name="TakenSoundComponent"
      ObjectArchetype=AudioComponent'Engine.Default__AudioComponent'
   End Object
   TakenSound=TakenSoundComponent
   BaseExitTime=8.000000
   Begin Object StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0 ObjName=StaticMeshComponent0 Archetype=StaticMeshComponent'Engine.Default__StaticMeshComponent'
      StaticMesh=StaticMesh'PICKUPS.Base_Flag.Mesh.S_Pickups_Base_Flag'
      CullDistance=7000.000000
      CachedCullDistance=7000.000000
      bUseAsOccluder=False
      CastShadow=False
      bForceDirectLightMap=True
      bCastDynamicShadow=False
      LightingChannels=(BSP=True,Static=True,Dynamic=True)
      CollideActors=False
      Translation=(X=0.000000,Y=0.000000,Z=-64.000000)
      Name="StaticMeshComponent0"
      ObjectArchetype=StaticMeshComponent'Engine.Default__StaticMeshComponent'
   End Object
   FlagBaseMesh=StaticMeshComponent0
   CTFAnnouncerMessagesClass=Class'UTGameContent.UTCTFMessage'
   bHasSensor=True
   IconCoords=(U=377.000000,V=438.000000,UL=45.000000,VL=44.000000)
   Begin Object CylinderComponent Name=CollisionCylinder ObjName=CollisionCylinder Archetype=CylinderComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:CollisionCylinder'
      CollisionHeight=60.000000
      CollisionRadius=60.000000
      ObjectArchetype=CylinderComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:CollisionCylinder'
   End Object
   CylinderComponent=CollisionCylinder
   GoodSprite=None
   BadSprite=None
   Begin Object Class=ArrowComponent Name=Arrow ObjName=Arrow Archetype=ArrowComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:Arrow'
      ObjectArchetype=ArrowComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:Arrow'
   End Object
   Components(0)=Arrow
   Components(1)=CollisionCylinder
   Begin Object Class=PathRenderingComponent Name=PathRenderer ObjName=PathRenderer Archetype=PathRenderingComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:PathRenderer'
      ObjectArchetype=PathRenderingComponent'UTGame.Default__UTCTFBase:PathRenderer'
   End Object
   Components(2)=PathRenderer
   Begin Object Class=DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent Name=FlagBaseLightEnvironment ObjName=FlagBaseLightEnvironment Archetype=DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent'Engine.Default__DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent'
      bCastShadows=False
      bDynamic=False
      Name="FlagBaseLightEnvironment"
      ObjectArchetype=DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent'Engine.Default__DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent'
   End Object
   Components(3)=FlagBaseLightEnvironment
   Components(4)=StaticMeshComponent0
   RemoteRole=ROLE_SimulatedProxy
   bStatic=False
   bAlwaysRelevant=True
   CollisionComponent=CollisionCylinder
   Name="Default__UTSDBombSite_Content"
   ObjectArchetype=UTSDBombSite'UTGame.Default__UTSDBombSite'
}

When i compile, i get the following error:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\UTSearchAndDestroy\Classes\UTSDBombSite_Content.uc(13) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: No base template named
StaticMeshComponent0 found in parent class UTSDBombSite:    Begin Object StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0 ObjName=StaticMeshComponent0 Archetype=St
aticMeshComponent'Engine.Default__StaticMeshComponent'

So I looked at UTCTFBase as that was my template for UTSDBombSite, and that file has no reference to 'StaticMeshComponent0' either. Can someone explain whats going wrong....

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
Try it like this:
Code:
Begin Object Class=StaticMeshComponent Name=StaticMeshComponent0
You don't need the Archetype stuff, and you're missing the Class= in your line.

Hi AM, the Class= is missing because when i had it there, the compiler said something about 'did you want to override...if so remove class=' etc.

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
This may be a stupid question, but is it possible/ok to code against v1.3 scripts even when you have a 2.0 patched system?

Im having so many compile issues working against exported 2.0 scripts you see....its really pissing me off :mad:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Most things work exactly as before. It would be a really good idea to re-export scripts now so you make sure you are seeing the latest code, though.

One other thing to remember when having tons of compile errors from stuff in your default properties is that the exported scripts really tend to mess them up. For a better example of how to do Objects in defaultproperties correctly, go download Epic's code from the UDN if you haven't already. The latest there is 1.3, but that is still better than trying to copy from anything you have exported.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
The link to 1.3 is at the top of the very first UT3 mods page. Further down, there is a link to "1.4" listed, but it doesn't work. Or you can follow angel mapper's link.

Gleedo

Jan 23, 2008
I found some short sample:

Project_Explore

Thanks for the link nawrot - its very, very helpful.

I have the ability to hack and tweak other mods, but not to write one from scratch, so that link is incredibly useful to me.

Im going to go right back to basics and use their dev guide to help me along my way :)