Receiver - Extremely detailed gun mechanics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

.Nova.

Hate
Feb 25, 2001
Denmark
www.planetunreal.com
I don't know if any of you followed the 7 Day FPS challenge, but one of the entries was a game that should appeal to many infiltration-fans.

It's basically a game based around extremely detailed gun mechanics. You have keybinds for operating each part of the weapon, like 'r' operates the slide, holding 't' while pressing 'r' lets you check the chamber to see if a round is present without ejecting the round, 'f' cocks the hammer, etc.

It's a pretty simple game, but brutal (difficulty) and atmospheric. I highly recommend it. And for anyone thinking the amount of keybinds could get too much, I can only say you get used to it really fast, and it's a lot of fun!

Check it out:
http://www.wolfire.com/receiver
[M]http://youtu.be/NmqterXyc-w[/M]
[M]http://youtu.be/GCThInmzjXw[/M]

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Holy shit, it's Nova! How've you been? Are you still visiting the irc channel?

Looks like a very interesting concept, I'll give this a go. Are there times in the game when you actually need to engage the safety though?

.Nova.

Hate
Feb 25, 2001
Denmark
www.planetunreal.com
You start with a random amount of ammo and the gun in a random state, so it's more a question of having to release the safety sometimes.

And thanks :) I'm doing pretty well, I get to work on games for a living (though a meager one, but I don't mind too much), so that's awesome :D. I haven't been around the IRC channels for ages. I stop by every once in a while, but it's been years since I was regular around those parts.
How about yourself? How are things?

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Nice experiment. I love it how the first thing that you do is to check the magazine and pull back the slide to see if a round is chambered.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
You start with a random amount of ammo and the gun in a random state, so it's more a question of having to release the safety sometimes.

And thanks :) I'm doing pretty well, I get to work on games for a living (though a meager one, but I don't mind too much), so that's awesome :D. I haven't been around the IRC channels for ages. I stop by every once in a while, but it's been years since I was regular around those parts.
How about yourself? How are things?

Nice! Are you doing modelling, mapping or coding? Any details about your current project?

Have you kept in touch with Goatfucker or any of the old IRC gang?

I travelled around Western Europe and Greece in 2009 & 2011, had an absolute blast. I definitely want to visit Scandinavia or the US once I have some money saved up. I finished my degree in Occupational Therapy, but I've had no luck getting a job as an Occupational Therapist, which is quite depressing :eek:

At this stage, I'll be going back to uni next year to do a Masters degree in either Physiotherapy or Physiology; the job prospects for those qualifications are much better apparently...

.Nova.

Hate
Feb 25, 2001
Denmark
www.planetunreal.com
I know the feeling all too well. After my masters, I spent around 6 months sending out applications without getting a single interview (apart from a recruitment company, but I don't count that one), before I got my current job with some friends from Uni.

We're currently working a party-based adventure/roleplaying game, set during the exploration age in south america in 1518. We just finished a two-week crunch and I'm now enjoying a bit of vacation before we continue working on it. I'm mostly doing the UI, environment art and a bit of level design on the game, but I've also helped with game design, programming and writing for our previous game for windows mobile. You can check out our devblog here, which has screenshots and much more info: www.logicartists.com

I still talk with Jaunty and Curtz once in a while, but other than that I haven't talked much with any of the old crew.

You should definitely hit Scandinavia at some point, even though it can get quite cold :p
Oh, and lots of luck with the job hunt :)