Weapons/items not disappearing in LAN game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Reg Pither

Jun 19, 2012
I'm hoping someone here can help with this problem as it's driving me nuts. :(

I'm playing UT2004 over a LAN, but whenever we play, everything on the host machine works fine, but weapons and items on the other machine still show even after being picked up on the host machine. So if I run to a nice health pack, I find there's nothing there, or that nice flak cannon has already been grabbed. Sometimes they disappear later, sometimes they stay. I've checked all the config screens for both machines and they're identical as far as I can see.

Has anyone any idea what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks. :)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Are you also experiencing significant lag, and are there any other mods running? (have you set the preferred network speed to 'LAN') Usually when things on the server and clients don't match it is because:
1. The client's don't have or weren't told about what packages to load (the server must have the correct ServerPackages listed for the mods/weapons/gametypes being used).. typically a problem seen with custom content
2. (if using some sort of mod or custom content) the code/network replication was coded incorrectly
3. There is too much other network traffic, which causes the UEngine to start cutting back on which in game objects (actors to be specific) get network updates. Pawns have highest priority. Projectiles, vehicles, weapons, item pickups and other things have lower priority and therefore may start getting much fewer updates if the network is 'saturated'.

Reg Pither

Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply, meowcat. :)

Yes, I've set the network to 'LAN' in the config options, and no, there's no lag as it all runs smoothly otherwise. I'm also not using any mods, just the vanilla game. Maybe I'll try a fresh install on each machine, just to check they do have identical versions running.

Reg Pither

Jun 19, 2012
Oh well, so much for that. :(

I did fresh installs on both machines, and whichever one I choose to host, the client machine always has issues with picking things up and them still appearing on screen. Sometimes they disappear after a few seconds, sometimes straight away, sometimes not at all. I don't know what other 'traffic' could be on the LAN, it's only two computers and I've tried unplugging it from the internet, too.

Can anyone help? :(

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
It sounds like a problem on one of the machines and not a problem with UT. All the same, check your disc to make sure you aren't just installing the problematic files all over again. If you have it, try another persons UT install disc.

Reg Pither

Jun 19, 2012
Well, here's a blast from the past!

I'm still having this issue when playing with one of the machines in my original post and a new machine bought since then. Surely I can't be the only one with this problem? Can anyone help in any way? It's so frustrating that we can't play a decent game on multiplayer!