Jogging Simulator 3000 (DayZ Thread)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Yeah, I'm waiting for the standalone version that will be made with the Arma 3 engine.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The ARMA II engine is really poor in a lot of areas. From a far, the game can look extremely realistic, but as you close up, it all gets ugly. On top of that, there are a lot of clipping issues and other funky stuff. I should really upgrade this computer as well, I would enjoy DayZ more on higher graphics and a better framerate.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It wont be unless Bohemia will allow them to leapfrog AMRA3. DayZ is scheduled for September which given the timetable realistically cements the game to use Real Virtuality 3.

I would be extremely surprised if it weren't on the latest engine. Considering the fact that Day Z IS Bohemia (the creator of the mod works there and the standalone game will be released through them--no longer will it be a mod, but rather a product that he is team leader of), how bad Arma II looks and performs (with Arma 3 looking better AND performing better) and the fact that to charge money they're going to want to differentiate the two, it's pretty much a given. Arma 3 is mostly done, so the engine is there, being demonstrated to great effect and the standalone Day Z is being released in the unfinished, bug-excusing, feature poor fashion of Minecraft, meaning that it gets to work, a little bit, as a test bed for features for their bigger game, etc.

It's very possible you're right, but I would be very, very surprised.

Being one of the many gamers frothing at the mouth over the talk of an open world, zombie apocalypse sandbox game, without all the "missions/quests/story" crap to trod through, I have to say I'm massively disappointed in DayZ and the entire Arma experience in general.

I'll give it more credit for being based on a "military simulator" type engine, but for this gamer, the whole "sim" thing does not make for fun at all.

The controls are just plain horrible and too demanding in a "You'd better have gotten a PhD in keyboarding or go home" feeling. There are just plain TOO MANY movement commands. It's baffling to think anyone needs this many different types of "crouch+/-prone".

The menus and UI are all totally unintuitive and the most unwelcoming aspect of the game in general, or any game I've played ever.

Hopefully there will be a good deal of changes to make it more welcoming to real gamers, because as it stands now they can take this whole "simulator" schtick and stick it.

Someone will get this whole "sandbox zombie apocalypse" thing right, and I'm happy to see the competition ramping up between DayZ, The War Z and the upcoming Walking Dead game which will hopefully be open enough to goof around in for weeks on end at least.

TL ; DR DayZ sucks hot ass in the shape it's in so far, just mho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yeah, DayZ sucks pretty much. Hopefully the standalone game will be proper. I still enjoy DayZ, simply for the tension, but it can be quite annoying.

My biggest problem with it is how you basically have to scoot around on your chest for 20 minutes everytime you start a new game, otherwise zombies will spot you and you won't have any weapons.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Fair enough.

They took the same engine and improved it? Sounds like they rushed Arma 2's engine out.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Everyone refers them as hacker. They didn't develop the software, they just use it. They're cheaters

Some of them doesn't even know how to do it right:

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJez_9eEp_8[/m]

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Everyone refers them as hacker. They didn't develop the software, they just use it. They're cheaters

Some of them doesn't even know how to do it right:

[]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJez_9eEp_8[/m]

Not sure how that was a hacker. Just a guy with fail aim. Still funny though.

Last edited: