Getting alot of General Protection Faults with Unreal 2...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
General protection fault!

History: APawn::moveToward <- AActor::processState <- Object U2NPCControllerBase M08A1.U2NPCControllerBase1, Old State State U2AI.U2NPCControllerBase.Wandering, New State State U2AI.U2NPCControllerBase.Wandering <- AController::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

Build: Mar 14 2003 13:26:15

Not even five minutes into the Sanctuary level and BOOM, crash. I have alot of problem with Unreal engine games crashing, usually the last bit of the error message is the MainLoop... not sure what to do. :(

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
make sure all your mother board and graphics card drivers are up to date,as well as direct x.after i updated all my stuff,i never had a problem.

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
When the game exits with an error message...

That's an engine bug.

Hasn't happened to me.

Best bet is to send in a bug report to Legend and hope they add a fix in a patch. It should open the bug logger if it is able to give that message.

I know that's tough news to hear, but its true that stuff like this happens.

I'm going to assume that you are all upto date on drivers and it is a fresh install without using adaware (erases U2XMP core dll) (its not actually spyware there's a name mismatch).

On the off chance you might want to make sure that your motherboard bios is super up to date and that AGP fast writes are enabled in the bios. (Could be defaulted to PCI mode in BIOS which = bad/crashes.)

Good luck.

Edit:
PS Your santa cruz sound card is fairly unique so could be a crash when U2 tries to play a specific sound or use many simultaneous channels. You could try disabling sound (in the game) and see if that fixes the problem (or reducing channels to 2 in options). Most people use SBLive (its not a better card, but it is more typical).

Last edited:

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Alternate interpretation of crash log:

If you read the crash log it looks like it is crashing when a specific NPC AI in singleplayer that was formerly idle is prompted to walk towards you as the player, (or possibly forwards on his walk path).

If you know the AI that is doing this you could try avoiding him or kill him before he is triggered?

Might be able to get around the problem? Or use a cheat to skip to the next level to see if it is specific to that one AI.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
good luck on your problem baron.i know how frustrating stuff like that can be.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
what do you think of the single player? i love fighting the Skaarj.

Status
Not open for further replies.