CD Key ban! WTF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
I was trying to play UT earlier and when I got on a server I was told Epic had banned my CD key.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. I bought the game 2 years ago on it's mac release and have been playing online ever since without any problem.
I've still got the receipt. I've never lent the game to anyone or given the CD key to anyone. I've never downloaded/used a cheat or bot. No-one has ever accused me of botting (which would be laughable really, I'm rubbish at the game).
I can't even remember having anything that remotely resembles an argument online. My computer was down for 3 months recently and I couldn't play. I've only been playing again for the last 3 weeks and in that time the only person who has complained or said anything to me was some abusive guy who complained when I changed teams in a game of ONS to play with a mate....And I was even leaving a winning team to join the team that were having their core hammered.
I only remember it because he was so abusive. There were bots on the server and they immediately balanced the teams anyway, and I never responded to his abuse apart from to say that the bots would balance the teams.

I've emailed the abuse@epic.com email with all the relevent information they ask for.

So why can something like this happen?

(If you're going to respond to this post with flames about bots or warez..just don't. The copy is genuine, I've got the reciept and anyone who's ever seen me play or knows me can tell you that I don't and wouldn't ever use a bot).

I'm really really irritated.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There are loads of ways this can haoppen. Epic could ban your cd-key simlpy because some newb sent in your GUID or something because you are better than them.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Hopefully it will be all sorted out very soon. It's sad when keys are mistekenly banned. I know it's happened to people before. :(

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
It must be some kind of mistake :hmm: Did you get any reason the key was banned, or is it just guessing?

I'll keep my thumbs crossed for a good outcome, Israphel. I'm afraid it's all I can do, really. :tup: :tup:

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Well first of all, cheers guys for the reminder of what a great 2k4 community there is at BUF. :tup:

It's funny because like I said, I'd stopped playing and was just starting to get into the game again.

Taleweaver: No, they didn't give me any reason. I joined a server, then after a couple of sceonds I got a message saying that Epic had banned my CDkey and that I should email them with my GUID, my IP and my user name.
I've done that, and I'm hoping for some explanation from them about why this happened.

Brizz: Really? Just something like that can happen? It's strange because I've been here trying to think of any occasion when I might have irritated someone, but apart from that case I mentioned, I really can't think of anything.

So what happens now? Do Epic reinstate CDkeys or not? I guess all I can do is wait to hear from them...if not, I'll just have to buy the game again..which is bloody annoying. Especially if it's just something like you said, and some idiot who's complained about me.

Last edited:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I think I've heard of Epic reinstating CD-Keys in the past. They may be asking for that information to (in a way) confirm ownership of the game, or to prove that it was someone else using your CD-Key illegally, etc...

Hope it gets sorted out!

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Israphel, the same thing happened to me once. I was banned all of a sudden for no reason, emailed epic, and they never replied. However, about 1 week after I emailed them my cdkey was unbanned. Still have no idea wtf that was about.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
I got banned once, said it was global. Reconnected and all was good.

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Cheers for linking me to that Kantham, that message was exactly the same as the one I got. It appears that it only took 2 days for you to get it working again.
That kind of links with what m&ms said about being reconnected after a week.

Reading your thread, I was trying to think if I'd connected to any dodgy servers and there was one similar to the one where you said there were a lot of people on the server who weren't actually listed as players on the Server list....but apart from that.

Anyways, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Cheers again people.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Israphel said:
Got an email from Epic today, they re-activated it which is cool.

So I am online again.:D
I'm glad things worked out, but unless the mail from Epic was an apology with the reason for the mixup*, I can't say that it's okay.

*and I mean a written mail...not one of those auto-generated replies

Israphel

Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Taleweaver said:
I'm glad things worked out, but unless the mail from Epic was an apology with the reason for the mixup*, I can't say that it's okay.

*and I mean a written mail...not one of those auto-generated replies

Well, it was hardly an apology or an explanation, the entire email was:

Subject: RE: CDKey ban
Date: April 30, 2006 7:45:44 PM GMT+01:00

Should be fixed. Let me know if it's not.

..but at least it wasn't an auto-generated reply

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I was CD-Key banned once for using a questionable name in a demo server and getting a flawless victory. I was browsing servers and saw that somebody in a demo server was using the name "aimbot", so I briefly joined as a spec and observed that while he was better than all the other terrible people in there, he was clearly not cheating, so I joined with the name "better_aimbot" and won, then left the server (one of the two times I have ever played a demo server, and I will never do so again), played a few 1v1's, and went to bed, next day I find out my cd-key has been globally banned.:( But Epic was pretty cool about it, they got back to me and unbanned me within two days and said I shouldn't use a name like that in a demo server. I still wonder if the other guy, whose name was "aimbot", got banned as well. :lol:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What about me? I think i got banned because people were calling me a cheater. Ex:

Random aliases: Kantham u faggot cheater.