Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Am I the only one who thinks that the NJ5-B deserves to have -4 shots in its magazine and 5 to 10 less damage per shot? It's a pretty powerful weapon.

I used to play the crap out of the Raider class, and used the NJ4 much more often than the NJ5, but my primary focus while playing Raider was flagstand clearing. Never liked the NJ5-B or how it fired, either. Stuck with the NJ4 when the Raider content pack rolled out.

What the hell is it with the Dust Devil? That thing sucks.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Been saying that since before it rolled out. It should have a shorter clip than the Falcon, and maybe to a touch less damage. It's a straight up upgrade to every RDR2 weapon, and is probably actually the best weapon in the game now, but I still have it stuck in my head as the TCN4, so that's what I usually still tell people.

The difference is, despite it's power, the NJ5b requires more skill, due to it's slower rate of fire, and less hit feedback.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Been saying that since before it rolled out. It should have a shorter clip than the Falcon, and maybe to a touch less damage. It's a straight up upgrade to every RDR2 weapon, and is probably actually the best weapon in the game now, but I still have it stuck in my head as the TCN4, so that's what I usually still tell people.

The difference is, despite it's power, the NJ5b requires more skill, due to it's slower rate of fire, and less hit feedback.

In some ways, it's like an automatic SN7 to me, but it's also got the ability to fire while scoped in.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
AEnubis, you mentioned getting Falcon upgrades. I'm currently wondering if I should get the weapon. I'm using the default Nova Blaster, and I'm alright with the 350 DMG. It's a little tricky to land some shots on people, but it definitively gives me a fighting chance on heavies.

The Falcon is one of the better SMGs. It usually gives me trouble as a PTH if I get to close to a SEN.

I thought about going with the Nova MX version, but my experience with pistol variants have been terrible so far to say the least *cough*Arctic SN7*cough*

You mad. Arctic SN7 is 180 damage per 0.18 seconds, which is pretty good. I usually use it to clear light turrets, since you can fire one shot, then melee.

I'm mostly playing Sentinel lately, this Jugg comes right at me and unloads 2 Twinfuser on me, I don't know if they were direct hits or not, but I had easily 1/3 of my HP left.

Splash both times. Direct hits do just under 600 damage.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, don't get the Nova blaster MX, if you like the Nova blaster. If the Nova Blaster is to "unforgiving" then give the MX a try. I won't ever use it, because I own face with the original. I'd rather have the damage than the RoF, because I don't spam it anyways.

Falcon is worth the coin, if you really need the help. It actually is the worst auto in the game, but combined with the SENs long range capabilities, it's straight OP on the class. It belongs on the SLD.

The Arctic SN7 is great. More damage, less clip? If you liked the SN7 at all, which has a ridiculous clip, having a higher damage version, that shoots functionally the same, is fantastic. Feels like a straight upgrade IMO, but you have to like the original first.

None of the variants are meant to be drastically different though. It's either slight damage reward for skill, or slight damage sacrifice for easier use. Check the descriptions, and base variant purchases on how you feel about the original weapon. If you suck with Arx, try the Dust Devil. If you suck with the LSF, don't even bother with the DSF. Same especially with the FM. The FMD is harder to use, and is a different velocity and arc, so it will further mess up your FM/MIRV game.

The stat differences should indicate which direction the move is in.

Crucial equipment upgrades are the x1, LAR, Spin disc (nade for JUG), the heavy shield pack, the thrust pack, Mines, and some would say the Falcon. Proxy nades are close to being on this list, but the normal SLD nades aren't bad, and the new quick fuse nades are nasty, range limited, but easier to hit with. SSF is a style choice, though the Jackal is hard to contend with. The BXT1 does it's job, but the PR may be preferred, with it's hip shot capability. It seemed to have lower damage capacity at first, but I think most people are preferring it now, though it makes the recharge pack vital. After that, it's about preference.

Completely obsolete purchases, would include the HBL (inferior to CG in every way), the twinfusors, the light sticky grenade, the sparrow, and one might argue the spinfusor/eagle combination, only because you can't pair the spinfusor with the AR. The weapons are "cross slotted" so you can't have the superior explosive weapon with the superior automatic. Until they give a weaker automatic (like the falcon) to the SLD, his spinfusor loadouts will be forever gimped, by the eagle. The only thing the SF really beats ThumpD in is range (which just makes them easier to dodge) and asset sniping (which will hopefully someday be remedied by asset driven shields. It's the worst implementation merge of the mega patch, and instead of making one class out of two, but with options, it is still basically two classes, that are now harder to switch between.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Crucial equipment upgrades are the x1, LAR, Spin disc (nade for JUG), the heavy shield pack, the thrust pack, Mines, and some would say the Falcon.

Why the heavy shield pack? As a heavy you need energy to be anything more than a glorified turret, so unless you're planning on sitting uindoors it just renders you a duck?

SSF is a style choice, though the Jackal is hard to contend with.

I use the SSF, but it's genuinely not very good. It has literally half the DPS of the Arctic Rhino or the Jackal.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Energy packs look great on paper, I'm making that statement mostly based on actual use.

PE does better for you, than an energy pack will, so if you're looking to be a mobile heavy, it's all about PE. PE will also pair with the Heavy Shield Pack extremely well, since splash damage gives you energy, which your pack uses as HP. Typically, though, heavies are indoor classes. Your a bullet sponge vs any half way descent auto user outside anyways, so it's either counter with an auto and hope your HP advantage makes the difference, stay inside, or die trying. You can sometimes maybe kite and spam, but energy really doesn't propel you past 72kph going forward, and all the energy in the world isn't worth one sprint, when your energy regen rate is totally gimped compared to every other class.

The problem is "Energy Packs" in Ascend, aren't like in Tribes. They increase your pool. "Recharge Packs" in ascend are closer to what "Energy Packs" were in Tribes, but the difference is you don't recharge energy while your using it, like before. As such, the recharge effect is there half as often as you need it. I'd still take a recharge pack over larger pool any day, but neither is crucial.

I only use one of the two Recharge Packs. Thrust trumps it for many reasons on the PTH. I sometimes use the SLD energy pack, because all his packs are passive, rarely use the BRT's. I also rarely use capacitor perks.

Typically speaking, I prefer active packs to passive ones. Passive packs have to be balanced for being always on, where as active packs require user input, and are usually more powerful because of it.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You're missing the Survival Pack, which gives you +15 energy, +200 health, +25% movement speed and -15% energy regeneration time. The Energy Pack is only going to really be advantageous if you're combining it with both of the Capacitor perks, which I wouldn't do in CTF / CaH because it seems redundant.

+200 health is enough to require an enemy to hit you one more time with a spinfusor, and the extra mobility should be enough to help make sure that doesn't happen.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm not missing it. I thought the idea was great, then I used it. It just didn't execute as well as it did on paper.

• 200 HP is 3 bullets from most autos, which is the bane of any heavy. Not that much. Again, PE and the Shiled Pack will net you more than that vs explosives.
  • The walking speed would be more appreciated on a stealth class.
  • Again, I already explained why energy pool just isn't worth it's weight in jet fuel.

Leaving only really the regeneration time to help you significantly. Time which can be bought with the shield pack, since it taking damage doesn't reset your regen timer.

Anyone can read what the stuff does, I'm just giving my subjective experience with actually using it, because I have used virtually everything, at length. Minus the falcon, at least as long as it takes to level the equipment. Even the sparrow, because it used to be your only option, with the Arx on the Scrambler class. Since the merge though, I haven't touched it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, better vs lighter classes. It's also no slouch vs heavier classes like every other auto, which is the problem. It's a straight upgrade, that drastically reduced TTK for the SEN in CQC, and forces anyone to kill him very quickly.
The Falcon is one of the better SMGs. It usually gives me trouble as a PTH if I get to close to a SEN.

Both of you are starting to convince me.

It's 88k right? I'm doing pretty well as a Sen so I think I'll consider it. I have 108k right now.

You mad. Arctic SN7 is 180 damage per 0.18 seconds, which is pretty good. I usually use it to clear light turrets, since you can fire one shot, then melee.

I'm sorry. I just despise the Arctic SN7 with passion.

For some reason the fire rate is completely reduced for me and the damage seems to be nearly identical to the SN7.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
As little as I frag with my capping loadout, I could see going LTF with my VAF PTH, but any other loadout, no. Clear the stand, use it as a GTFAway from me weapon, but that's about it. If they actually gave you proper FlagDefender accolade while holding the flag, then I'd quickly drop it for a DSF.

Only you can't really boost yourself with the LTF.

But it doesn't matter because Soldier capping is the new pathfinder capping.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I got the Falcon.

Clearly it has more consistency and is FAR better for taking out weak opponents. But I'd take the Nova over the Falcon for taking down any full health Heavy.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Only you can't really boost yourself with the LTF.

It's different, but I picked it up pretty fast. Much faster than fragging with it. I started to have some success with the HTF, constantly double tapping. The only way to get comparable DPS out of it is to dump both rounds in tandem every clip. I got one double MA the map I started doing it, and the damage was better than a single MA with the MKD, but consistency would take a lot of practice.

Impulse jumps are the same, you basically have to double tap, and change the drag on the second round.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I got the Falcon.

Clearly it has more consistency and is FAR better for taking out weak opponents. But I'd take the Nova over the Falcon for taking down any full health Heavy.

Man you should've bought that thing before they nerfed it. It was insane. I could take down heavies with two clips.

I'd still take it over the nova blaster any day. It's much easier to hit with and it's more versatile. Say for instance an infiltrator is fucking with you, it's pretty easy to keep him visible with your falcon, where as the nova blaster would fall short.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I bought a loadout socket, simply because I still really want the Nova if there's too many heavies around. IE Crossfire or Sunstar.

Say for instance an infiltrator is fucking with you, it's pretty easy to keep him visible with your falcon, where as the nova blaster would fall short.

That inf last night.

He was in our sniper hill (raindance) He had a nice composition of energy management, and Smoke grenade use. I tried all I could, it was nearly impossible to kill him, Falcon or not. It was VERY hard to reveal that inf with Bullet weapons. Smoke grenades on infs makes them pretty much worthless as the inf gains extra solid stealth bonus when using the grenade.

I went for Brute, killed him at 200 KM/h when he didn't see me coming.. to which he replied: "Are you an airplane?"

Also, I think they've added Stonehenge to the maplist last night, aside from adding random lag spikes for everyone on NA east...

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Smoke is OP, and comp banned. It forces invis no matter what conditions would normally reveal it, and you can't really stop it. Obviously, the user still has to manage it, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Oh, they even work against jammers? That is insane. I haven't really seen any infiltrators use them. What I have seen today though, is an infiltrator doing gen defense surprisingly efficiently with prism mines and a jackal.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Oh, they even work against jammers? That is insane. I haven't really seen any infiltrators use them. What I have seen today though, is an infiltrator doing gen defense surprisingly efficiently with prism mines and a jackal.

Prism Mines and Jackal is what Cthulhu intended. That's my 'Trapper' setup. I don't use Jackal often anymore either. I use the SSF primarily and the Arctic Rhino (if I'm feeling confident that I can hit anything with it).