Unreal Engine 3 Features @ GDC 2009

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
blah blah blah
It drags and drops onto something on the screen, something that you see in your viewport obviously, not some place random. Therefore if you make a mistake you will see it. And CTRL+Z takes care of mistakes well enough.

Plus it's not like level artists were excited monkeys, they show great precision and thoroughness in their work, so it's highly unlikely they're going to miss a wrong material applied in the area they are working in before they hit rebuild.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
What does the MCP actually do?
mcp.jpg

Whatever it wants ;)

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Wow that impresses me...

I guess with the drag n drop of material onto mesh, they could do it (may already be like) so if the poly/tri you dropped onto has id=1 it would use that slot. Thing is, most games use one material per mesh anyway for performance reasons.

The MCP does look great how it can show you those kind of stats on your level - but I really wonder how much of a b1tch it is to set up - I mean, I imagine you'd have to outline the gameplay areas by hand - and I wonder how it's handled when there are multiple levels of play on top of each other? Picking which gameplay you want to record the stats for?

... and yea the lighting looks just awesome. Pity we won't have a UT to use it in for years :( Just have to get some contract work I suppose!

Chandler

Self Unemployed
Jan 20, 2008
Really excited to see this. Did anyone find it funny at all that they effectively looped the MCP part and the music picked up, and all it is, are two separate heat maps (three. maybe) and it's got fast cut away, and "awesome action shots", etc? I just had to chuckle while watching it.

Mos def cool though.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
okay, the changes to the way you apply materials or insert meshes and so on looked okay but there was some stuff i didn't really understand.
however, when the lighting section started i was pretty much drooling on my keyboard. this is just really impressive :D :eek:
me wants!

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I hope this gets added into UT3 :D

Some impressive stuff - as to complaining about having drag and drop. I seriously doubt they will have removed the normal methods - and if you drag and drop accidental you're clearly a tool.

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I hope this gets added into UT3 :D

Some impressive stuff - as to complaining about having drag and drop. I seriously doubt they will have removed the normal methods - and if you drag and drop accidental you're clearly a tool.

Good point, cause those of you that now use UE 3 for UT 3 notice that it shipped with the widget tools to act like Max or Maya but you can turn those off and do things the old school way...the editor does not force you to use those widgets.

I assume drag and drop is the same deal as The_Head mentioned...it's there but would not be surprised if right clicking in the scene and clicking add actor still works...

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Just because you drag and drop does not mean you have to leave it there-of course you are going to adjust it. This just makes it easier to put in the same vicinity.

jeesh.

lashtal

Mar 2, 2009
Darn, looks awesome but do they plan to release some standalone app to use the engine in realtime arch viz? I mean i'd like to see a ut3 powered exporter for some 3d app sometime.

Btw does GI get calculated in realtime or everything is baked into lightmap? If everything is baked its no good for any moving parts of the level, obviously.

Last edited:

Lee3dee

I make stuff go BOOM!
Dec 8, 2004
Austin, TX
you know you can press S to drop in a mesh in UT3 :)

Lighting looks as good as Beast's lighting engine that is an add-on for UE3. Wonder if they compute times are as long.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
Lightmass: Yet another way 3D developers are laboring to make sure that you can't see a dang THING....

Seriously - anyone who misses Darkmatching from Unreal1 - why? All you have to do is play UT3, where you can't see anything at all, even in the outdoor daylight levels....

lashtal

Mar 2, 2009
@Slyrr77 - meh, stop whining. Its called proper exposure — try to take a photo on a sunny day: while sunlit areas will appear bright, unlit will be almost black. Its how all the cameras work. To reduce the difference just use higher gamma setting, but doing so will kill contrast making images appear dull.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
meh, stop whining. Its called proper exposure — try to take a photo on a sunny day: while sunlit areas will appear bright, unlit will be almost black. Its how all the cameras work.

All I know is I got tired of the 'pitch black or totally washed out' look after playing Doom3. Plus the human eye is not a camera. A photo may well look as you described, but the human eye will show much more range and what you see isn't what the camera sees.

The HL2 engine managed to pull bright areas, dark areas, and have a nice MID-range as well. Surely they could do this in the UT3 engine? Or is it just the level designers doing this?

If so - come on, people. Not every level has to be the interior of a coal mine at midnight with a couple of flourescent bulbs here and there....

Last edited:

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
The human eye adjusts its exposure to bright light on the fly. Wherever you look you'll have the lighting adjusted to comfortable levels fairly quickly. Your eyes dart around a lot which gives the illusion of a higher light range, when in reality it's constantly adjusting the range based on where you're looking.

HL2 is the closest I've come across so far to simulating this effect, by adjusting lighting levels based on where you're looking. But it has the same drawbacks as the eye, only it's more obvious in HL2 because you have the whole screen to look at. Point your crosshair at a bright light and try to get a good look at the rest of the room. It just doesn't work.

I don't disagree with you in that UT3 as it is could use a better balance of lighting. But from the looks of what they showed us in the demo, their lighting solution seems to make most things in their environments reasonably visible. The map in the light demo likely wasn't a UT3 gameplay map. So it'd make sense that there'd be excessively dark areas in the level to demonstrate the capabilities of their lighting.

neoduck

Oct 18, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
wooooooooot! that stuff looks aaaawesome!

one of the coolest things with that browser is that now you don't have to open individual asset files any more. you just search, and it scours through them for you.

hopefully not long till i'm working with it!