Bioshock PS3 Will Require Install

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Those of you itching to get your hands on Bioshock for the PS3 will need to make sure you've got 5gb free on your hard drive. According to a story on 1up, the game will have a mandatory install.

The install takes a little over ten minutes which seems fairly inconsequential when considering how good a game you're getting into.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Well.. optical media is slow as dark pulse :p

Anyway, 5GB sounds like a lot. But I foresee more and more games requiring larger and larger installs. It's like PC gaming was about 15 years ago. First games could run almost completely from the CD rom, only needed to store the savegames. After that more and more diskspace was required. About 10 years ago almost all games installed completely to the disk.

The install takes a little over ten minutes which seems fairly inconsequential when considering how good a game you're getting into.

That sentence doesn't make any sense.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I don't own Bioshock PC so I don't know how large the install image is but the PS3 version doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the medium (BluRay 25-50GB capacity).
The small 5GB image may be due to using lower rez tex like UT3 PS3. Yes, I say small given the 10 and 9 gb images from GOW and UT3. I just expected more.

ed: ok, a little research and xfer speeds seem to be based off 2x Bluray drives that operate at 72 Mbit/s. This would clock a 5gb xfer at around 9:15.

Last edited:

lol911

May 17, 2005
I don't own Bioshock PC so I don't know how large the install image is but the PS3 version doesn't seem to be taking advantage of the medium (BluRay 25-50GB capacity).
Well it's only a port. In order to take advantage of the medium the game would have to be made from the PS3 from the get go, then ported to other systems.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Aside from GOW I've never heard up porting up. I'm merely playing on the lower texture memory being the reason behind what I believe is a small install image compared to the PC image.