"Butcher" - let's hurl bloody cleavers!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
There's nothing more sickingly satisfying than hurling a blood encrusted
cleaver after a fleeing adversary's backside. Muhahahaha...

I created this gruesome baby with a Halloween release date in mind,
but since the MSU deadline was extended I decided to work on Arkon
Weapons instead and delayed development on 'Butcher'. An additional
sawblade frisbee is in the works already. Feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• Butcher(1).jpg
    Butcher(1).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 93
  • UT2003_butcher_v02.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
I love this, it's permently replacing the shieldgun for me. I only wish you could pick up ones stuck in walls and use them again. As well Kangus, you should ask to use this in Landrium

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Here you are -> v02

- added new, experimental sawblade frisbee. Ideas for alt-fire welcome
- thrown cleavers and sawblades stuck in walls can be re-picked up now, disappear after about 20 seconds though since it's heavy on performance to have tons of "heavy metal" lying around

and no worry, development will be continued

Attachments

• UT2003_butcher_v02.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Oh HELL YA!

I was unable to pick up thrown items.

Love those saws, how about this: Make them bounce off wall, bounce them around corners, kinda like the ol' ripper. Alt fire could be fanning them, throwing 3 spreadfire \|/, or maybe rolling them on the deck.

Whats next, an axe or a tomahawk? Pitchfork? Heh, They need a mutator, Say perhaps Butcher Arena. Seriously now, I want to use one of those butcher knives as a melee weapon. I hate that shield gun.

Last edited:

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
>> I was unable to pick up thrown items.

for now, thrown weapons can only be re-picked up if they're stuck in walls. No support for floors or terrain yet (and not really necessary IMO, since half the time my ammo's maxed out anyway, which is another reason that prevents re-picking up btw)

I'm trying to decide wether I should give every weapon a close combat primary and a ranged/throwable alt-fire ability or rather make each pickup actually give you two different weapons in two different weapon slots, say ranged cleavers in slot 1, close combat cleavers in slot 2 for example, making for a total of 4 possible uses but a more difficult handling. opinions?

next weapon in the works btw. is a rusty pipe/ spear like thingy, fit for knocking silly and the occasional impaling over medium distances :)

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
What if before firing, a very short trace is made, if it hit someone, it does damage, and the weapon plays a melee anim, if not, its thrown.

I dont really see how the razor would be used as a melee weapon, seems IMHO to stay just a ranged weapon. The rusty pipe pri could be a swing, and altfire could be the throwing spear that you could use to pin people to the walls.

I would think the melee cleaver would be in slot 1, just one cleaver taking off heads.

Or perhaps stay on the theme, but make a new melee weapon, a fillet knife, hammer or sledge. Machette, chainsaw, something along those lines that everyone would have at home.

But of course, you're doing great as is, keep up the good work.

8mm_BuLLEt

I will rule the world!
Nov 3, 2003
South-south-west england
Visit site
Another butcher's weapon.... my, my, going for a sweeney butcher?

Sweeny flail

Primary fire : Swings round the flail for a charged attack (hold down mouse1), release to fire.

Secondary fire : Stabs the player with the end of the flail (its spikey so it inflicts more damage).

Good enough for ya'?

Donator

Jun 26, 2003
Vienna
Visit site
Postal: the "no-throw if enemy up close" idea is quite brilliant, I'll probably implement that one, thanks. Close combat animation for the buzzsaw would then be rotating it fast to cut people.

8mm_BuLLEt: to me a flail seems a bit too medieval to fit in, I was rather thinking of implementing the meathook on a chain, that would work exactly the same way you described though.

If any of you guys have some spare time left and are willing to dig up a solution for one of the following technical problems I'd be tremendously grateful:

- how to convert staticmeshes to weapon meshes (don't need to be animateable, just have to attach properly).

alternatively ->

- how to Yaw-rotate a staticmesh in first person view without ****ing up the rotation once you look around (change your view-pitch). this probably needs a short sinus function.
- how to rotate an attached staticmesh in 3rd person

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
How about a garden scyth aka scycle(sp) Similar to the Asian Kama. Easly used as a weapon. I still like the Machette/Sledge ideas the best.

As for a static mesh to a weapon, I think you need to do something like, take the mesh and make it with a bone, and add a weapon triangle for it(do they even still do that)

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I'd be surprised if they still used weapon triangles, since everything has bones now.