I installed mods, and now UT is slow starting up, tweaks?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Now that I have a ton of mods and levels(Tactical ops, chaos, bonus pack, Unreal Fortress, and others) UT is really slow starting up. The precaching, and starting a practice session or bringing up other boxes are really slow. So how can I tweak it to make it run faster? Does no startup work in the shortcut?

:redeemer:

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
Edit your unrealtournament.ini file in the ut system directory to get rid of the cityintro:

change LocalMap=CityIntro.unr
to LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr

and under preferences change UsePrecache to False.

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Read what you wrote..

I think you said it all in the first line of the post.

When you pile on all the extra packages UT has to wade thru it all every time you startup and every game start. That's mutators, mods, models, voices, skins, everything!

Rule of thumb is install all you want, but use all you install. Especially true if you're regularly a server on a lan.. People get really pissed when you're forcefeeding them a ton of stuff noone uses.

Chairman Mao

May 25, 2000
Visit site
go to add/remove programs-select UT (this will not uninstall UT). if the mods or skins were in installed via Umod format they will be listed and you can select which mods you wish to un-install.
if the skins or maps were installed manually(Zip) you will have to hunt down the files yourself and delete them.