Ripper Gun!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I

ImagoX

Trooper,

Hmmmmmm... I guess I can see your point here, although I personally have not had the luck you have had in big, open worlds like Face- I find I run out of ammo way too fast to make the Ripper an effective weapon in open spaces.

But I totally agree, the Ripper is DEATH in tight hallways, but there is again the issue of ammo. Players that sauturate a small area are defenseless when the hail of death stops... hehehe.

I personally LIKE the Ripper, despite it's proclivity to kill me from time to time. I usually strive for the headshot when possible, and find it to be quite skillful wheh I can pull this off, not just luck.

Granted, there are always players that just camp in one spot, bathing the hallway with razors, but I've personally found that there are not all that many places where someone can fixidly stare down a hall where a crafty player cannot find a way behind them, and make them pay with a nice Flak blast to the spine... =)

If it helps, there actually is a "no camping" mutator I've seen out there that starts draining health from players that stay put in one spot too long. Perhaps you should look for servers running this mod, as it takes a great deal of the "camper weenie" frustration out of the game I hear. But then what exactly is SNIPING then if not camping in an ideal location with a one-shot (with a headshot) weapon?

Personally, I see camping as just another strategy myself, one that I've not had all that much luck with- I tend to get much better points with the "run and gun" strategy, but to each his own I guess.

I hope you don't get flamed for an honest opinion... I think this forum tends to be more mature than that.

-ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

G

GunnerX

Bwahahaha, I wish it were that easy in a real game. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif Yes it does seem like a no skill weapon but, if you play against a good player then good luck!! What takes skill to use is the alt-fire for the ripper gun. Very useful.

You have to remember that most players will constantly hop. Therefore, if hit by a ripper gun, the chances of a headshot is smaller. I've flooded entrances in faces with the ripper gun and as many bullets I've shot, I think I should have more headshots, but I don't.

This is exactly the same thing as when people complain about the flak. They claim it's a no skill. In some instances, yes. But, if you know how to dodge, then flak takes a lot of skill to use!

bullet2.gif

[MUTTS]GunnerX

"If at first you don't succeed, don't try Sky Diving!"

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
Well if it was the right weapon in the right circumstance, then the person using it wasn't spamming, they were smart.

I'll admit getting your head ripped off by someone shooting rippers down a narrow hallway feels like you got cheated, but you know and I know that if you thought you could get a risk free frag that way you'd be doing it too.

I'd be inclined to make mappers place it appropriately than redesign the weapon itself. It definately can be a skillful weapon in the right hands.

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I kinda figured this would be your responses! So I tell you what, you load up Unreal not UT the old Unreal and tell me what your thought are on the old razerjack!

I should have known you never ever experienced the old Unreal! The Ripper in UT in general is a spamming weapon for people with absolutly no skill!

But ofcoarse those were your opinions, so I will leave it at that!

I dare you to play the old Unreal! Bet you whine like little children about the way it play!

bullet2.gif

Which one are you? The Quick or the Dead!

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
Huh? What the hell are you talking about? I've been playing since the original unpatched version of Unreal. Yes, it was essentially a different weapon. BUT THIS ISN'T UNREAL. You should move on, adapt, anticipate, evolve (and don't treat other people like total morons simply because you think you've been around longer than them). Maybe there is a reason why Epic ramped UP the razor jack to the ripper instead of leaving it the way it was. After all they had two years to consider the weapon balance of their new game which is 4 times as long as any of us have been playing it.

bullet2.gif

Mute|PuF: Rumormonger for hire.

[This message has been edited by mute (edited 04-06-2000).]

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
I'd make you cry like a little girl in Unreal too.
Anyway, I've said it before, so I'll say it again:
Quit yer bitchin.
It's part of the game.
Learn to defend against it. If you can't do that, then learn to use it back. If you can't do either, then quit whining, cause you just suck.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

BiPolar

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
*sigh* Don't you know that every weapon is a newbie spam or a wh0re weapon?

RL - Rocket wh0re, grenades are spam weapon
Shock rifle - combo wh0re
flak - spam weapon
ripper - spam weapon
redeemer - redeemer wh0re
sniper - sniper wh0re
bio - spam weapon

If any of these weapons makes it impossible to get beat, then why doesn't everyone use that weapon, and win all the time? Anyone who thinks there is a "god" weapon, I challenge them to play me, using only that weapon (since it is so godlike), and I will use every weapon except that one, and we'll see just how "dominating" that weapon really is.

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I posted this topic, because there's just somethings about UT that just make the game feel cheap! Although I am hooked on the Game, /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif There are things that are good in UT and then there are things in UT that flat out discourage me completely! I know that alot of you never really got to play the Old Unreal, and I do not expect you to fully understand what my complaint is about!

So for the one's who once graced to old maps of Unreal would know exactly what I am talking about!

Accually I find alot of the weapons in UT that really make it to easy to frag your opponents,and more or less turns the game into a wimpy version of Unreal! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

So before you cast the first stone, unless you have never played the old Unreal please refrain from the flaming of this topic, you wouldn't want me flaming all the ole Quakers out there who never played the original Unreal!

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
My my CHRYST, what a nice little attitude we've go going on there! Some people just don't know how to respond without being arrogent!

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I really think this gun needs some work done to it! The reason is its more of a spamming weapon! Some of the corridors in the maps are to small to manuver around in, and it really is a big let down when someone with no skill can just stand there and nail people right and left before they can even get to dodge it! This is spamming big time, and I think its about time for a tone down on that paticular gun! It already fires way to fast for one! And if some of you who use to play the old Unreal can remember the razerjack was much slower, making it a skill to use the gun on anyone! Clearly there's got to be some way of pleaing to Epic to fix the gun to shoot slower! Here's an example ,I can set up a game against bots say on Facing the world and just stand there firing not even moving and wipe out bot after bot even if their god like! There is no skill in that unless you call spamming a skill! I'm sure most of you are going to try and flame me for my opinion, but if you can't understand what one's feeling are like you will never understand at all! I solely brought this up, because I have been on servers where matches have been ruined by people just standing there and spamming right and left! So sue me if I am complaining about it, because its true!

------------------

B

BitchSmack

Hey TROOPER! One word for ya buddy!

*DUCK*

bullet2.gif

"The only thing that makes life
bearable is the knowledge that
some poor bastard has it much
worse than you" - hrdwaremyk³

"Sit! Roll Over! Play dead! Stay that way!" - BitchSmack

B

BitchSmack

Hey TROOPER! One word for ya buddy!

*DUCK*

bullet2.gif

"The only thing that makes life
bearable is the knowledge that
some poor bastard has it much
worse than you" - hrdwaremyk³

"Sit! Roll Over! Play dead! Stay that way!" - BitchSmack

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
That's not arrogance, it's the way it is. If you can't adapt, you suck.
Rooster used to crush me regularly with his shock combo. God, I hated that. I adapted, and was able to match him using other weapons. Then I started using it, and began to crush others with it.

Now, I haven't been playing enough, and probably currently suck, but you get the point.

The point is (in case you DIDN'T get it) STOP WHINING, and play the game. All the stuff that you don't like is part of the game, and if you don't like it, make a mod.

bullet2.gif

I

ImagoX

Trooper,

One: If you don't want to get flamed, then don't start insulting people like a whiney nine-year-old. I personally tried replying to your *points regarding the ripper* only, and not to you presonally, to keep the discussion on a civil level. It was *you* that made the statement aboyt people obviously not playing the first Unreal, which obviously is not true. You're just irratated that people are not agreeing with your point of view. Well, tough, that's life. How about arguing your viewpoint based on facts rather than saying people that don't agree with you must not have played the same game you did?

You've started the boulder rolling down the hill, my man, and unless you actually LIKE getting flamed (some people do to stir things up- then again some people like getting whipped to, they just have the sense not to whine about pain they actively seek out), I would appologize immediately for making a blanket statement in a room full of hard-core gamers. Which leads me to my next point:

Two: I personally have played many more hours of the original Unreal than UT so far, and hated the old version of the Ripper. That's right- I HATED IT, and never used it. Let me say it again, I PLAYED UNREAL, and I STILL DIDN'T LIKE the weapon. Neither did some other folks. Personally, I prefer the new version- if that makes me a llama in your book, so be it, but I still disagree. If that really bothers you so much, take up On-line multiplay Big Game Hunter, or Savage Circle-Jerk, or whatever floats your boat.

Ah, why am I bothering? He won't get it. Maybe he'll surprise me though... (shrug).

-ImagoX

"There's only one punishment for lighting the Grail-shaped beacon..."
-Zoot, from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I

ImagoX

Chryst, read your reply just after posting my last, and I thought it worth addressing one of your comments.

I think there is value (entertainment value if nothing else) in discussing the pros and cons of certain weapons, tactics, maps, what have you. This is not, in my mind, "whining" but rather something people do that want to extend their enjoyment of a game into other arenas.

Heck, who knows, if enough people agree with your point of view, the game designers (who DO lurk around here after all from time to time), might hear about it and make a welcome change/modification, as might a mutator designer looking for a good idea.

Now, does that mean that I think Trooper is not whining in this post? Well, I think that he made a blanket generality that (rightfully) pissed off a few players, since he was totally marginalizing their viewpoints with his snotty comment about "people not having the chance to experience original Unreal".

I just didn't want anyone reading this post to think that anyone here discourages a lively discussion pro or con about a facet of the game we all play... (plus I need to kill some time at work before I can go home, and the typing noised coing from my office convinces my staff I'm busy... hehehehe..).

-ImagoX

CHRYSt

Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Sigh...as I said...I was quoting myself.

I originally said that to people who were bitching about the flak cannon. And it doesn't matter. He WAS whining.
"I don't like the ripper. It's a spam weapon. Stop using it, cause I keep getting killed by newbies. It was better in the original unreal. Why'd they change it?"
That's whining.

And my point stands. The best know how to counter every attack thrown at them, no matter what weapon they have, or how they're being attacked. They blame their skills and the skills of others rather than the design of the weapon, or other things they can't change.

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Excuse me! Oh its alright for you people to post whining complaints or opinions about things with UT, but me little ole me tries to raise an opinion and gets stoned for doing it! I don't think so buddy! Freedom of speach! If you don't like what I have to say, then don't respond plain and simple! Nobody told you that you had to agree or disagree to what I had to say!

I raised the issue because I see it how it lays! And during this particular post I have refrained from vulgar words! So I would appreciate the same in return! That includes those little comebacks about being childish! Hum ?? As a matter of fact I think a bunch of grown ups that spend to much time with UT is purely childish! Yet you call it a game, you would think if it was just a game then there would be no need to reply so childishly to these posts! Roosters the only one in this forum, that I have accually seen beneficial for knowledgeble advice in this forum among others like RW, Lizard of Oz and a few others! So lets cut out these insults replies on what people post in here! I may not be very smart in alot of things, but you on the other hand if you have a better education I am proud of you! But don't waste it as a weapon against others, but use it for knowledgable advice to others ! I have seen posts torn apart by peoples educational insults harsh words! Unwillingness to hear people out! So why should I listen to you!

I have that right to post, just like you do, although mine are complaints I have that right! Just like you have a right to reply your thought about the issue! But you take it farther then that, your relpies are harsh, rude, purely mean and unjust! In fact in your words Childish! So before you go thrashing what people post in this forum, think about their emotions before you trash them like that!

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by Super(ST)Trooper (edited 04-06-2000).]

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
I've given up on reading what ST has to say, so I'm just going to throw my two cents into this thread without addressing them to anyone.

Personally, I like the ripper. The alt-fire is totally under-rated, and it's very very useful. Whenever I have the ripper, I usually forget it even has a primary fire!! But occasionally I'll remember it in a useful situation.

As for going up against opponents spamming with it. I've been in rooms/corridors that have been the target of ripper spam attacks, and 4 out of 5 times, I'm never even hit by the spam. I've spammed rooms before, and 9 out of 10 times not hit a single person(just goes to show why I never use the primary fire...I suck at it /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif).

I used to be a Flak whore, and a RL whore at one point too, but I've recently begun to broaden my weapon use (shock kicks *** , too bad I still suck at it, and the mini-gun...egads that's my new favorite toy!), and I'd have to say the weapons are pretty well balanced, especially in team games. They all have their places.

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com