56k online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
just curious, i was playing my second netgame just now on a server with about 200-350 ping (bounced around depending on what map, etc.), with 0% packet loss, with in/out speeds of somewhere around 1500/2500... yet i still couldn't fire properly (delays), and i couldn't aim for nuts (i'd have to spray an entire mp5 clip at close range and even then i'd have to pray that i hit the guy)... anyone else with 56k actually able to play online properly without having to resort to spray and pray? should i change any settings like netspeed?

cheers,
teck

Classified: Unknown

May 1, 2001
Visit site
Before I got my dsl, I was playing online with my 56k (US Robotics Internal) through mindspring and was getting speeds of 250ish give or take 50 on the MUF and SOB servers. This was playable with all weapons for me. No idea on settings though, try posting in the troubleshooting forums.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
My ping never goes above 400, but I think that is fake, cause it takes me like 5 min to pull the trigger.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
heh, i don't play online anymore. I have a US Robotics too. I lag to much and get pissed off. IM getting cable in a few months so i hope it gets better. i guess we will just have to wait till the next patch. 56k is beacome extremly obsolete too.

Overon

Jul 7, 2001
Visit site
I know what you mean. I'm on a 56k too. And my pings with the server full is between 280-350. When the ping is on the higher end of that range aiming is a bitch. First let's say you and your opponenet turn a corner. If he has a lower ping than you he will be able to see you quicker and shoot you quicker because that info that he pressed fire will reach the server before yours does and you are dead and he's alive.

Second when others run and gun and move left to right you can move your reticule on them and fire but by the time your gun actually fires they have moved from that position and you miss.

It happens all the time. Bullets are pretty much instataneous but not where you are aiming at in relation to your ping.

I usually have to spray and pray. I have to move the mouse form side to side hoping that the bullets will hit him as he is moving from side to side and this will compensate for what I said above.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
The latest patch made INF a lot harder on a 56K, at least for me. Now when I kill someone they slide for a while after death, so I have to empty more bullets into them to make sure I did take them down.

Guess thats the cost of removing the invis bug.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
"56k is beacome extremly obsolete too"

Okay...I hope not to cause too much trouble posting this...It's not meant as a flame...okay, well maybe it is a semi-flame.

All you people who are complaining that 56k makes it too hard to aim or is obsolete, that is total BS :rolleyes:

I'm on DSL. But, for many many years, I was on 56k-- with AOL.

It's >not< hard to aim. You said something along the lines of "you follow him with your crosshair and fire and it doesn't hit him". It's called compensation. You know your ping is a bit higher, so you lead your shots.

It's not hard...you will get used to it. I made it into 4C on 56k and AOL. I just got DSL maybe 8 months ago...I play only a little better, but that is wholly due to me having more time invested.

Now, don't get me wrong-- I'm not saying playing on 56k can be a pain in the butt :) There sure are many annoying situations where yes, you did die from lag. But, in my experience, it's not that often, so long as you get used to your connection :)

I say you should for a couple maps just try and get a feeling for how far you should lead your shots based on your ping range. If I was playing on the Sweden server, compared to the USA server for 2.6, I would know to lead my shots a bit more because of the extra lag.

I guess this could be considered part flame. But the way I see it it's also part morale boosting. You 56k CAN play as well as those broadband LPBs like me...you can even play better.

EDIT:

"Now when I kill someone they slide for a while after death, so I have to empty more bullets into them to make sure I did take them down. "

I'm on DSL and I get that too.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
well, i personally haven't had too much time to get used to it yet, seeing as i've only played online a couple times (and not just inf... everything... :p), but i'm willing to make the effort... the only thing that pisses me off is getting shot after emptying a full clip of my mp5 into a guy at point blank range... and the shot that kills me is the only shot the guy fires... :con:

but hey, it's not like i'm saying i won't play, i was just wondering if i was one of the very few who had this problem and it was because of a bad setup or something... :)

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Ya playing on a 56K sucks :( O well Ive gotten used to it. What really pisses me off is all these cable people that have never played INF on 56K telling me "aww come on it cant be that bad" when thier pings are in the 60-70 range while mine is 300-400. Or those DSL @$$e$ that post here wining about the pings saying 150-200 ping is unplayable for them. :rolleyes:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Better connections equall better scores. At least in my experince. I don't even play these types of games (fps) online anymore since they're all just twitch games. Some are better geared toward tactics and skill over reaction times but unfortunatly in my experince Infiltration isn't one of them.

Back before broadband really took hold and eveyone was using dialup's with exception to that rare "low ping bastard" on a campus these types of games were very enjoyable since everyone was limited to ping times in the 200-300 range.

I usually placed in the top 3 of Action Quake 2 when i played. Once i got invited to my friends ISP to compete in a ISP vs ISP clan game because i usually bested everyone from my isp on my dial up connection. ( They had their own server for AQ2 so i they were always there ) When i first started playing on their setup (about 10 feet from the game server hehe) i wasn't as good as usual.. basically i wasn't used to the fact that when you had a ping of 5.0 you didn't have to lead targets... but once i got used to that fact i had no problems... and when other dial-uper's occasionally showed up on other servers i always won the match.. Even though i know that some of them were just as good, if not better than me. They were just outclassed in terms of connection speed.

Now a days i refuse to play twitch games online. On a 56.6 it's not even fun anymore. On the rare occasion that i do play online it's usually a turn based game, or maybe an RTS. heheh The way i figure it 'old man Defkon' earned his stars and bars on the twitch games of the 70's, 80's, and 90's and now he's a full fleged general, and as such just sits around and orders his troops around when he's compete'n aganst another man. ;p

krate

Newbie for life
May 23, 2001
Silicon Valley
Visit site
With fewer available servers, I resorted to some high-ping servers. My ping was in the 300-500 range. At first, I could hardly play, but after a while my score went up to respectable. You need to change tactics and weapons. Ditch the rifles and get an AK. Nades are your best friend. Forget rushing and sniping, and stick to ambushing and stalking. It is much more challenging, and somewhat frustrating, but not impossible.
Often, I'll have my AK with a full drum, and I'll sneak up on someone. I'll start blazing away at their back, and the gun will only fire intermittently. They move in a wierd jumpy way, and nothing seems to hit them. After half a drum, they wake up, and turn to face me. After the rest of the drum is gone, they finally get their shot off and kill me. Very annoying.
After I got used to high ping, I tried a game on my own server, and I almost jumped out of my chair. The gun seemed like a laser, and I could burn down anything with a flick of the wrist. I had gotten so used to leading and emptying a drum of ammo with each shot it was a shock.
Now, I think, I can handle intermittent lag better than a lot of guys. When a server chokes up a little, a lot of guys used to low ping don't know what to do and they just mill around stupidly. If you don't give up, and switch to high lag play style, you can pick up a lot of points.

At any rate, my experience in playing across different speeds is like night and day. Ping makes all the difference. I would definitely prefer to play with a ping of 99 instead of 100.

I was thinking about ping handicapping. How about giving high ping people some moving speed advantage, or something like that?

ramon

Jun 25, 2000
seville, spain
Visit site
i have cable, and yes, 200 is unplayable for me *WHEN* i have 600% packet loss :rolleyes: but mine is a processor deal. 266 mhz and a vodoo3 cant handle 1024*768, details high and enviromental sound with a crappy generic soundcard :p

but i can play well even with 300 ping if i havent got that ****y PL

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
I will get DSL if you care to pay the extra $50 a month for me. Otherwise STFU not everyone is a rich b@sterd like you and can afford DSL without giving it another thought.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Originally posted by LifesBane[4C]
All you people who are complaining that 56k makes it too hard to aim or is obsolete, that is total BS :rolleyes:

I'm on DSL. But, for many many years, I was on 56k-- with AOL

Your an LPB, your opinion on how a 56K plays today means nothing.

So you may have played Q2 on a 56K or whatever, so what? Thats a whole different game. Games now a days require more bandwidth, bandwidth a 56K just cant cope with. Plus now a days there are more LPB's, so its harder to play as a HPB.

I'm fed up of LPB's giving the same lame excuse "I used to play on 56K, I did fine. So theres no reason why you cant!". You used to play on a 56K, you dont now.

As for someone talking about how he got a high score on 2.6. I played 2.7x online with a 56K, and I found that a lot easier than playin 2.85.3 on a 56K. Different games play totally different on 56K's, past experience of a 56K doesnt in any way mean you can judge current experience on newer games and mods.

So many people think having a 56K means just a bad ping, which is BS. Ping is the least of trouble caused by a 56K. Pl, reduced frame rate and being unable to cope with more than a few people on screen. Those are far worse than a bad ping, and I should know, I used to avg a 450 ping on a winmodem.

And that "just get DSL then" excuse is even worse. Not everyone can afford broadband, and some people like me, cant even get broadband where they live.