New build - Suggest a GPU.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
After 4 years of use, 2 GPU RMA (after trying to get an actual upgrade), a shagged GPU and so much hassle, I think it's time for me to move on.

Here's what I'm aiming for, I'd like a few suggestion on GPU's, I haven't been following computer hardware in the past years so I've quite lost it.

[screenshot]http://s2.postimage.org/66z1tq0w1/New_PC.jpg[/screenshot]

I game on 1440X900, and no, I am not replacing monitor any time soon, however it might happen if this monitor decides to drop it. Basically like my GPU just did.

I don't want an expansively beast card, just a decent one that will support Crysis 2 and other demending games on 60 FPS, using medium to slightly high details.

===============================
Why am I not just getting a new gpu?
I want an upgrade, and this current PC (motherboard, likely) doesn't like the idea of having a much newer card inserted in it. Performance would not be noticable ever, going from a 8800 to a 470

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sandy bridge, like this one?

Do you think it would be compatible with the motherboard I picked? I heard there were issues with that technology.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
get a GPU. it's safer. ;)
I'd suggest getting a 560 ti, seems that the latest drivers solved the issues. seems cheap and powerful at least.

I don't know what's up in AMDland though...

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Alright, so this Gigabyte motherboard would be better overall than this Asus one I first posted?
Or would I be only interested in it for overclocking?

I might plan on overclocking for sure, I read people could OC the I7 2600k using the stock (retail) heatsink.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Unless you are planning on going over to linux or doing a lot of OpenGL gaming then the Radeon 5800 series are really good.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
For the GPU, I can recommend AGAINST the GTX 560 Ti. I have no knowledge of other mid range cards though. My GTX 580 was worth every penny to me, but I doubt the price would appeal to you.

Would have been nice to see that thread before getting my 560ti :mad:

Luckily no issues thus far, except for the stuff I mentioned in my thread about the cpu stuff.

Oh and Kantham if you do decide to get an Nvidia card, stay away from the latest drivers if you plan on playing Crysis 2. A bug is present that makes your weapons solid white, but only on the rainy levels. I downgraded to the 266.xx drivers and haven't had that issue since. You may even be safe with a few releases under 275.xx

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well it's done.

I did buy the EVGA superclocked 570 GTX and the motherboard Skakruk suggested after reading more about it, good thing I'll be able to overclock the i7 2600k.

I also liked the idea of precision with EVGA cards.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I know I'm a little late to throw my two cents in but all the budget systems I've built lately have had a 6790/6830/6850 in them. You just can't beat the price/performance ratio on them. They're quieter than the nvidia cards (ones with reference coolers anyway) and they allow me to opt for less expensive power supplies because the ATI cards currently draw way less power. Saves both on the build and the power bill.

Don't get me wrong, I run on nvidia right now but for most people I feel ATI has a big advantage. At the moment, I only recommend nvidia if the person has a fat wallet, a personal preference, 3D support or Linux support. Hell, the 6970 keeps up with the 580 GTX for far less in some games.

It's good you went with Sandy Bridge because they already have processors and motherboards in every price range with better performance than their older hardware. That stuff is getting phased out fast.
I would not encourage that. I tried using my 2600k with the stock cooler, and even at it's default clocks, it ran alarmingly hot under load. I think that miserable cooler was a negligent exercise in cost cutting on Intel's part. However, there are some excellent value aftermarket coolers available like the Hyper 212+. At the other end of the scale, I just bought an NH-D14, which I can definitely recommend on build quality alone.
+1. Intel decided to use their smaller 1U cooler for all the Sandy Bridge processors to cut costs on the metal used to make the heatsink. It works but it gets quite loud under load. They would have had much quiter processors out-of-the-box if they just kept using their nearly identical 2U coolers.

Did you order a CPU yet? The 2500k is way better bang for your buck. The performance gap between the 2500k and 2600k closes as you overclock both. When comparing both at about a 4.7+GHz, they actually perform almost identical, making the 2500k much better value. Obviously you can't get that high on either without a decent aftermarket cooler though.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah I already ordered the i7 2600k and everything else along with it.

I don't plan to get overclocking going as soon as I get it, of course. And when I plan to get working on it, I will look into aftermarket cooling.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
GSkill Sniper 4GB*2.
Simply because ripjaw is awful looking and they were the same spec/price.

I went for it by the feedback quality and density.