Max Payne 3.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I think Rockstar always owned the Max Payne IP. The difference in this case is that Remedy (who, I think, came up with Max Payne) is not making the game.

ermm nope. For starters, 3dr helped create the story with remedy then sat back and assisted the then fledgling developer. Rockstar wasn't in the picture even with max payne 1. It wasn't till 2002 almost a year after the game was released that take 2 bought out the co-owned rights from 3dr and remedy.

http://www.remedygames.com/company/history

I couldn't find a exact date quick like about when rockstar aquired the IP but I did find this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/3dr-bewildered-by-max-payne-film

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remedy_Entertainment

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Q: So let me get this straight, I've read articles on Max that mention Remedy, 3DRealms and The Gathering of Developers. Who's doing what?
A: Remedy is developing the game, all technology, editors, art, sounds, the story, etc. have been done at Remedy office. 3DRealms is taking part in that development by helping out on content and gameplay matters, Scott, George and everyone at 3DR are outstanding hardcore game developers and we really dig working with them. The Gathering is our publisher and will eventually ship all those Max Payne boxes to the shelves with Take2 handling European distribution.
Source: http://www.3drealms.com/max/index.html#consoles

Take 2 bought out the Gathering in may of 2000, they already owned Rockstar. Rockstar wasn't listed as a dev on the ps2 game (and I would guess the xbox and GBA also) but as publisher. Which sounds like a typical internal move for Take Two. I.E. they were already making a bid for the IP or trying to make a future bid stronger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_Interactive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gathering_of_Developers

Basicly Rockstar had nothing to do with making Max payne the great game it is. But are quite possibly the reason Max Payne 2 lacked the depth of the first game as rockstar stepped into the role 3dr had filled previously. And are wholely responsible for the crap it became with Max Payne 3.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Just started playing this last night and it's actually really good... so far (I'm only on Chapter 3). Rockstar does a pretty good job with these things. If there is one problem with it it's that Max's voice just doesn't have the same feel, but the gameplay itself is great.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just started Chapter 12 and am taking a break.

I tell ya if the last 2 games gave Max a mental breakdown, this one is sure to give him a stroke,heart attack, and diabetes all in one go. The man just cannot catch a break.

Playing on normal but good lord you can and will die so easily if you aren't careful.

After seeing the dx11 debacle with Arkham City, I was skeptical about how this one would run and I am most certainly surprised. Everything maxed but AA which is set to none and I am getting roughly 30-50 fps. Never seems to dip below 30 that I can tell but it seems fps indicators are kinda bugged with the game at the moment.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Just started playing this last night and it's actually really good... so far (I'm only on Chapter 3). Rockstar does a pretty good job with these things. If there is one problem with it it's that Max's voice just doesn't have the same feel, but the gameplay itself is great.
they changed his voice??

but it was so iconic :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I guess I shouldn't say his voice. Despite what someone else in this thread said, McCaffrey is still doing his voice. The writing just isn't quite the same as it was before, but you do have to keep in mind that this takes place years after the last game.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I guess I shouldn't say his voice. Despite what someone else in this thread said, McCaffrey is still doing his voice. The writing just isn't quite the same as it was before, but you do have to keep in mind that this takes place years after the last game.

9 years to be exact

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just completed it and holy cow was that entertaining.

I know a game is good when I start zoning out and actually feel anger towards the enemy

Big Spoiler so no looky
Blowing Becker to bits with his own grenade then watching Max walk up to him gun drawn I actually wanted him to shoot him. The cheevo for not shooting him popped right as I noticed the aiming reticule. The moment I noticed it I was so ready to press the button :D

Played on medium and social club says it took me 9 hours 6 minutes, though about 30 minutes of that could be cut out just for general fucking about.

Armored enemies in the later chapters are a pain in the ass as headshots are crucial, but they also seem to have 2 types of head gear. This lead to some premature deaths on my part because I didn't make sure they were dead dead.

Definitely going back for a second go around to find the remaining clues and such.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Just finished it, it was fucking epic. It probably took me around 8 hours to finish, I didn't check my social club time.

The gameplay is pretty awesome and the overall presentation is spectacular, but I have to say that this game has some of the best music I've heard in a videogame in years. I'll definitely get the soundtrack if/when it's out.

The terminal near the end of the game with 'Tears' pumping was just perfect. As an aside, Max sure has a penchant for finding the worst possible situations to get into.
Performance was incredibly good compared to what I was expecting for a mid-2012 title. I have a Core i3 530 overclocked to 3.53ghz, 4GB DDR3-1600, and a 5850 and ran the game @ 1920x1080 with all options at their highest except for AA (off due to 1GB VRAM,) AF at 4x, and Tesselation at High. The game ran at a near-constant 60fps, and only dropped below 50 in a few areas.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, the performance has been great. DX11 on my 5750 is working better than okay.

I'm on Chapter 5 and so far this game is ridiculously hard. I'm playing on Normal and I probably die 2-3 times in every fire fight so far. It's ridiculous.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
hmm.

could you describe what it is that makes the game so hard?
even on normal.

or maybe why it is you die "2-3 times per fight."

-Enemies have pretty damn good aim
-A direct shotgun blast will down you instantly from my experience
-Enemies aren't covered in hitboxes, but are rather per pixel. Aiming is very precise and that really comes into play when you deal with armored enemies.
-Painkillers are not as abundant as they were in MP2. Most I had ever found at one time was 7 and that was during one chapter.

To put into perspective, I could dive head first into enemy encounters in MP2 on hard mode, but this game you don't dare do it unless you have a full bullet time meter.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Yeah, the performance has been great. DX11 on my 5750 is working better than okay.

I'm on Chapter 5 and so far this game is ridiculously hard. I'm playing on Normal and I probably die 2-3 times in every fire fight so far. It's ridiculous.

I played on Easy, but it still wasn't easy :D

hmm.

could you describe what it is that makes the game so hard?
even on normal.

or maybe why it is you die "2-3 times per fight."

-Enemies have pretty damn good aim
-A direct shotgun blast will down you instantly from my experience
-Enemies aren't covered in hitboxes, but are rather per pixel. Aiming is very precise and that really comes into play when you deal with armored enemies.
-Painkillers are not as abundant as they were in MP2. Most I had ever found at one time was 7 and that was during one chapter.

To put into perspective, I could dive head first into enemy encounters in MP2 on hard mode, but this game you don't dare do it unless you have a full bullet time meter.

Pretty much what he said. The AI in MP3 is pretty good, and even on easy mode the opposing force likes to use tactics and constantly tries to flank Max. The game has a penchant for presenting you with multiple targets simultaneously that couldn't all be taken down without using bullet time (or getting some really lucky headshots.)

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Oh and I forgot to mention that this game uses a checkpoint system so no quick saves this time around. Even MP2's limited save system for the hardest mode was easier than Normal MP3 :)

I fathom to think what hardcore and old school are going to be like.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, same. It takes quite a bit of thought in every scenario to figure out what the best way to advance is. In MP1/2 you could just sit still and think through your strategy a bit, but in MP3, you have to think quick and make it count. Also, yeah, the painkillers. I almost always have zero (from LMS situations) and hardly ever find more. If you die enough times, you get 1 bottle. Wow.... :)