Is this a Gametype or Total Conversion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yourBestMan

Jan 11, 2005
Hi, I have all the visual assets for creating an Unreal Mod (textures, models, animations, map, etc.) and I want to create a very simple mod using my own materials. This way, it will be more rewarding for me to learn uScript as I see my own creations interact with eacother.

I just want to create a single player, third person, one level, mod in which the user controlled player must search for an AI player and kill him. I hope to have other simple gameplay, but that's the basics. Since none of the visual elements of Unreal will exist, I was wondering if this is considered a gametype or a total conversion? I was also wondering which gametype this would extend off of...or if anyone could direct me to a specific mod that would be best for me to look at for code reference? thanks.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Essentially once you've removed it from the Unrealverse and replaced it with your own visual assets, it's to some degree a Total Conversion. Gametypes are more distinctly games intended for play within Unreal Tournament itself.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Not really sure, but if the question involves whether or not to use the mod structure, then I believe you should always use the mod structure. At the moment, UT2004 is already a disorganised mess with textures, models, sounds and other source material with arbitary filenames already thus a distinction between original UT2004 files and mod files aren't easy. Using the mod structure keeps the game clean, and to be honest my current pet peeve is to mod groups who don't use the mod structure or use it properly.

yourBestMan

Jan 11, 2005
Snake, yes...that seems to have been my question. I wasn't sure which way to go about it. I guess you answered my question. thanks