Dark Sector = Unreal 2?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SGT.SKINNER

Mar 9, 2001
GIZA
Visit site
Wow, I can't wait! I really hope the game will be good as reports are saying. System requirements for this baby is gonna be HIGH, so start saving your hard earned green paper now. I mean a game pushing100 to 150% more polygons then the first Unreal...come on. By then the Geforce "4" might be out...due to Nvidia's dedication to bring something new out every six months. Anyway, I hope they keep the translocator but maybe modify it a bit so that you can translocate not only yourself, but up to 3 or 4 of your friends/clan members, etc. at once! That would be cool. Also, the rocket launcher is a keeper. The homing system needs to be a little more accurate though. Other types of rockets for the weapon would be cool too like: High Impact rockets (blazing speed while in flight, and major damage to terrain/buildings or death when hit directly by it, leaving a crater where impacted). How about some "Smart Rockets" where the rockets will search and destroy the opposing team members rockets if they are near. I hope that the ability to travel from planet to planet and space station to space station (flawlessly) will be considered in the game/multiplayer version. This idea was one that is/was in consideration for the game Dark Sector. But I think that Dark Sector is actually the code name for Unreal 2. Unreal 2: Dark Sector? Sounds good to me. I also have noticed a VERY strong similarity between a character from the Unreal Technology Video and the Dark Sector game. Go here: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/darksector/conceptart/BountyHunter5.jpg for the image of this character that I THINK is the same character in the Unreal Technology Video where you see him (back facing you) walking through a hall of some kind. If you haven't seen the Unreal Technology Video go here: http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_1444_1.html and maybe you'll see what I mean. Sneaky, sneaky. The answer may just lie in the new issue of PC GAMER for April. This issue is including info and screenshots of Uneal 2!! At least, that's the rumor. I get a copy a.s.a.p...do the same!! Well,we still have about a year left,so start saving for a new system that will handle this beast!

Probotector

über f00l
Mar 6, 2001
Sweden, m00!
proboserv.mine.nu
Dark Sector = UT2?!

Digital Extremes Announces Dark Sector
Digital Extremes evolves the first person action genre by bringing Unreal: Tournament style gameplay into a massively multiplayer persistent universe. London, Canada, Feb. 11, 2000 - Leading computer game developer Digital Extremes announces its follow-up to the critically acclaimed Unreal: Tournament. Dark Sector is the next step in the first person action gaming experience by blending the intense action elements of Unreal: Tournament with the scope and character evolution of a persistent online universe.

From http://www.3dactionplanet.com/darksector/press.shtml

Here it says that Dark Sector is the follow up to Unreal tournament. Does this mean that there will be both Unreal 2 & Unreal Tournament 2? It must be so, according to the press releasle message above!

Anyone know?

SGT.SKINNER

Mar 9, 2001
GIZA
Visit site
Unreal Tournament 2=Unreal Warfare=Dark Sector?

I have read the responses. After reading PC GAMER, I am now truly convinced that Dark Sector IS NOT Unreal 2. However, I believe that it IS a project related to the Unreal series in some way. Dark Sector is being handled by Epic Games. It is possible that it just may be Unreal: Warfare which could be the follow-up title to Unreal Tournament. Or just a whole new game in all. But I doubt it. For those of you who don't know what Dark Sector is, stop by here: http://www.3dactionplanet.com/darksector/ and read about it. Also, click on "Concept Art" on the left hand side at the top.

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Sorry you're still wrong.

Unreal 2 is the sequel to Unreal, being developed by Legend Entertainment

Unreal Warfare is the sequel to Unreal Tournament, being developed by Epic Games

Dark Sector is a game being developed by Digital Extremes. It is their spin on the UT style, but is in no way related to Unreal.

Digital Extremes worked with Epic on the creation of Unreal and UT. BUT, the companies have long since split to work on their own projects.

Probotector

über f00l
Mar 6, 2001
Sweden, m00!
proboserv.mine.nu
But why does it say in the press release that Dark Sector is the followup to Unreal Tournament then?
Did they lie or what?

I think it's like this:

Unreal -> Unreal 2

Unreal Tournament -> Unreal Warfare = Dark Sector

But i could be wrong...

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
I'm sorry but I actually got around to reading that press release about Dark Sector, and it is clearly not UT2.
They mention it being a "follow-up" to UT, but it is made clear that they are speaking in terms of using the gameplay and engine from it as the starting point for the MMPE which is Dark Sector.
NOT a sequel.

Sorry guys. Hellscrag is very, very, likely to be totally correct in his assessment... as he usually is with this kind of thing.

SGT.SKINNER

Mar 9, 2001
GIZA
Visit site
RELAX PEOPLE

Okay, okay already. Go here everyone: http://www.3dap.com/features/firstlooks/darksector/
Now I was never saying that this WAS the follow-up to Unreal 2 or Unreal Tournament 2, I said it COULD be a follow-up to those games. If you read my earlier posted message I even said that it MAY BE A WHOLE NEW GAME ALL IN ALL. So...just my two cents. Just because part of a game company splits off to make their own game, doesn't mean that it is NOT a sequel to an Unreal game. Sure Digital Extremes is on their own with this one....but maybe it is called Dark Sector because it is a "working title or name" for a future release of the Unreal series. A game company would never say for sure or not because there needs to be some element of surprise or hype for the gaming community in the end. Unreal Tournament 2: Dark Sector? or is it Unreal Tournament 2: Warfare? I don't know, you don't know, and nobody will know for sure until more info is released. I was just stating some very interesting points that I have seen from various web sites concerning Dark Sector and what a STRONG resemblance it bears to the Unreal series. But, that is just my humble opinion and nothing else. :)

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
No criticism of you intended m8, it's just fact. Digital Extremes was always an entirely separate company to Epic, they were just working together. Now, the companies have no involvement of this kind. Epic is creating Unreal Warfare, Legend Unreal 2, and Digital Extremes, Dark Sector.

SGT.SKINNER

Mar 9, 2001
GIZA
Visit site
Unreal

ROGER THAT!! :) At any rate, this only adds more sweat (hopefully) games for us to play! Three new games of high quality potential is fine by me. We need more of these for the PC gaming environment. Lets just hope that we don't have to spend too much for an upgrade to play! Got a question Hellscrag. Know anything about Nvidia chipsets? How about 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 (64)w/ Geforce 2 GTS chipset in particular. If you do or anybody else does, please e-mail me at : sgtskinner@hotmail.com I have had a few problems with it, that's why I ask. Thanks-SGT.SKINNER

SGT.SKINNER

Mar 9, 2001
GIZA
Visit site
GeForce

Well when I play Unreal Tournament my video card will lock up when I use either OpenGL or Direct 3D. Direct 3D is my choice selection since the video card I use has a Nvidia chipset. I have the same problems when playing Undying, which is built around the Unreal Engine. Now the funny thing is, is that I can play Quake 3 in 32 bit textures, 32 bit color, high detail on everything, and play at a rez of 1280x1024 with about 60 fps without any problems whatsoever. I have all the current drivers (as of now) for the card (made by Creative) and the chipset (Nvidia) and Direct x8a. Not sure how to fix this problem with Unreal Tournament. One more thing...when I boot up my pc, I get a "NO SYNC" message flashing on my monitor too. This causes me to have to reboot every darn time I boot up. If you or anyone has some advice, I would be VERY thankful. Thanks! :)

Cyberian_2K

Adept
Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
Digital Extremes and Epic Games were never one company. They were two separate companies that collaborated for Unreal and UT. There was a planned merger during the development of UT but it didn't pan out in the end.

Dark Sector is a massively multiplayer game using the Unreal Tournament -> Warfare engine. Unreal Warfare's details are sketchy at best at this point. In all likelihood it will be a Tribes 2-like game.

Digital Extremes has integrated flying vehicles and enhanced space-related stuff into the UT engine. Unreal Warfare has got the usual additions of course.

They are 2 separate games.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Think of it this way:

DigitalExtremes worked with Epic to create UT. The next thing (or "follow-up" project) is Dark Sector.

Just like Legend can say their "follow-up" to Unreal:Return to Na Pali is Wheel of Time. Though, clearly, it is not a sequal to it.

The reason why you should not think Dark Sector is "UT2" is that Epic is working on a project right now that is code-named "Unreal Warfare" (also the name of the engine in it's current state). You can see the direction that it is headed by the technology they are pursuing.

Having said all that, Im thinking to myself- good, that means I'll be buying 3 cool games in the next 18 months. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.