[UT 200X] Working With Stock Species

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Might

bFemale=True
Good evening, class!

In tonight's lesson, we are going to learn how to work with Species...namely the ones that come with "UT 2003/2004". (There will be no discussion of custom Species, since that's far beyond my abilities and the scope of this tutorial.)

The Species of a character affects a few different things:

(1) It's part of what determines which voice any given character has by default, (gender is the other half of this equation, and also effects which stock voicepacks a character can use - things work differently with some custom voicepacks).

(2) It determines what gender(s) characters with that Species can be.

(3) It determines the color of the blood they shed when hit/killed (depending on your "Gore" setting - I presume that "No Gore" gets rid of it altogether).

(4) Most importantly, it determines a character's special attributes when the "Species Statistics" mutator is active.

The following is a list of the Species that come with "UT 2003/2004", what happens when "Species Statistics" is turned on, what gender(s) characters with that Species can be, and the color of their blood depending on what level you have the Gore option set to. I got the info for the stats from the official "UT 2004" Prima guide (I've never played with Species Statistics on myself). If you notice any mistakes, let me know. Oh, and by "than normal", I mean compared to having Species Statistics turned off:

Egyptian (Anubans/Nakhti/whatever):

+ 150% higher control in the air than normal
+ 30% higher jump than normal
+ 50% higher aerial dodging ability than normal

- Maximum health is 85 (15% lower than normal)
- Weapons do 10% less damage than normal
- 10% lower dodging ability on the ground than normal

Characters with the "Egyptian" Species can be male or female.

Characters with the "Egyptian" Species have red blood at "Full Gore", and green blood at "Reduced Gore".

Juggernaut:

+ Maximum health is 190 (90% higher than normal)
- Ground speed, jump height, acceleration, and aerial dodging abilities are 10-20% lower than normal

Characters with the "Juggernaut" Species can be male or female.

Characters with the "Juggernaut" Species have red blood at Full Gore, and green blood at "Reduced Gore".

Mercenary (Mercenaries, Brock, Lauren, and Malcolm, ThunderCrash marines ["UT 2004"], Hellions ["UT 2004"], Metal Guard ["UT 2004" Editor's Choice Edition], and Necris ["UT 2004" Editor's Choice Edition]):

+ Maximum health is 130 (30% higher than normal)
= All other abilities are the same as normal; characters with the "Mercenary" Species have no real weaknesses

Characters with the "Mercenary" Species can be male or female.

Characters with the "Mercenary" Species have red blood at "Full Gore" and green blood at "Reduced Gore".

Alien (Gen Mo'kai):

+ 20% more manuverable in the air than normal
+ 30% faster on the ground than normal
+ Accelerates 10% faster than normal
+ 10% higher jump than normal
+ 10% higher aerial dodge speed than normal

- Maximum health is 80 (20% lower than normal)
- Weapons do 10% less damage than normal)

Characters with the "Alien" species can be male or female.

Characters with the "Alien" species have green blood at "Full Gore" and "Reduced Gore".

Robot (Artificial Lifeforms and Cybernetics):

+ Maximum health is 110 (10% higher than normal)
+ 60% higher dodging ability on the ground

- 20% lower walking speed than normal
- 30% lower crouching movement speed than normal
- 30% lower aerial dodging speed than normal

Characters with the "Robot" Species can only be male in "UT 2003" (I take no responsibility for any weirdness that may occur if you try to make a female character for that game and give her the Robot species!). In "UT 2004", however, they can be male or female, since that game introduced female robots.

Characters with the "Robot" Species have purple blood (or rather, machine oil) at both "Full Gore" and "Reduced Gore".

Night (Nightmares and Abaddon ("UT 2004"):

+ 50% higher walking speed than normal
+ 20% higher crouching speed than normal

- 10% lower ground speed than normal
- 10% lower jump height than normal

Characters with the "Night" Species can be male or female.

Characters with the "Night" Species have red blood at "Full Gore" and green blood at "Reduced Gore".

Skaarj (Skaarj ["UT 2004"] and MechaSkaarj ["UT 2004"; Editor's Choice Edition]

+ 20% more manuverable in the air than normal
+ 20% faster on the ground than normal
+ Accelerates 10% faster than normal
+ 10% higher jump than normal
+ 10% higher aerial dodge speed than normal

- Maximum health is 80 (20% lower than normal)
- Weapons do 10% less damage than normal)

Characters with the "Skaarj" Species can only be male (I take no responsibility for any weirdness that may occur if you try to make a female character for that game and give her the Skaarj species!).

Characters with the "Skaarj" Species have green blood at both "Full Gore" and "Reduced Gore".

Okay! There are the stock Species. How do you determine what stock Species you want your character to be? It's quite simple, actually.

In the .upl line, there should be a line like this:

species=xGame.SPECIES_[whatever]

The line above is just an example. Here are the lines for the stock Species:

Egyptian: species=xGame.SPECIES_Egypt

Juggernaut: species=xGame.SPECIES_Jugg

Mercenary: species=xGame.SPECIES_Merc

Alien: species=xGame.SPECIES_Alien

Robot: species=xGame.SPECIES_Bot

Night: species=xGame.SPECIES_Night

Skaarj ("UT 2004" only!): species=xGame.SPECIESSkaarj
The best way to do a .upl file is to make a text file (e.g. "[Whatever].txt), copy and paste someone from the stock .upl files, edit it to suit your needs, save it, and rename the file "[Whatever].upl" (don't worry if your OS freaks out and says the file may become unstable - everything's cool, man!). When you're editing the info, when it comes to the "species=" line, all you have to do is copy and paste one of the lines above, and replace whatever the existing "species=" line is.

Well, that concludes this lesson! I hope you enjoyed it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.