advice on CD-R / RW

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Here's a hap-hap-happy thread!

I'm going to get a CD writing doodad. Dabs.com has loads of the things at a range of prices:
40r 16w 12rw at £63.44, Dabs' own brand
40r 32w 12rw at £97.52, Mitsumi
40r16w10rw at £119.85, Toshiba

is it worth spending extra cash on a brand name, & if so which?

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
I'd go with the mitsumi, but you could check and see if they have a cheaper one from them. I have an old 4x-2x-16x from them and I've never had any trouble out of it (well, the origional one was DOA... but the replacemetn works great). It has never EVER burnt a coaster... it's just kind of slow because it's so old.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
and the prices for 32x CD-R's and CD-RW's would be wayy too high, and its unlikely that u would be able to use the 32 speed most of the time.

fastest ive seen is 24X iand that wrote a CD within a minute.
my 50x CD-Rom wouldnt even take a CD off at that speed

Lyndsay #2337

Squeaky Penguin
Aug 12, 2001
Visit site
I have an LG (Goldstar) CED8080B CDRW 8x4x32, and some of my friends have other LG models.
We've had them for over a year, with no complaints.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Whatever you do when you get one, for making Data CDs, DO NOT USE EASY CD CREATOR!!!!!!!!!!! It totally screws your files and makes them al READ ONLY, and it's so damn hard to get them off of the CD again when they're Read Only (don't know why, Win98 is just dumb that way).

Be sure you have Direct CD. OMG I just love DCD.... once you've formatted a disc (it takes 20 - 40 minutes to format a CD, but is well worth it), you can directly drag files to the drive or right click and click "Send To Drive (X)" and it will be on the CD, instantly! You don't have to wait for 15 minutes for it to actually "record" the files onto the CD or anything, they're already there and I think the CD can even be used on computers without CD-RW drives. Just click and drag utility really, but it rocks:D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Thanks guys :D
As long as there aren't horror stories of cheaper brands b0rking things up... :)

It's a pity the PC doesn't have Firewire, otherwise I could get an external one & use it with the mac too.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I think most would agree that Plextor makes the best quality CD writers. They support all the advanced features you'll need and are basically fully supported(and recommended) by all CD writing software.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
P...L...E..X...T...O...R

Clone CD

Nero

EZ CD5 (Includes Direct CD and 30min Format is ridiculously High)

Win on CD

With These tools You will be UNSTOPABLE!!!

I own 2 Plextors One 12x10x24 and one 24x10x40..... OMFG They are gold!!!! Any Coasters I get are a result of Stupid user errors

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by Yellow5
I just purchased a TDK 32/10/40 veloCD ReWriter and am *very* pleased with it.

Picked mine up for $179 with a $30 mail in rebate, you can probably find it cheaper tho.
I've read that the 32x cause's major problems... although nothing a driver update won't fix. I'm happy with my 24x Creative... haven't had the pleasure of it spitting out, a coaster yet.