UDK Games: Work In Progress

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A couple of new UDK games are underway and they couldn't be more different. Let's take a look at the work in progress for both:

One is a bright and cheery - a nameless title thus far - and is a "race against the clock" game called UDK Race Game (a work in progress title, I assume). This one is a product of a twenty-five year old self-taught developer who is putting this iPad title together for release on the app store and for his portfolio.

I thought at first that it was going to be a Trackmania style racer, but it appears to be headed more towards a time-trials kind of thing.

The next title is a solo project called "Zombies". Now you can look through a lot of media in the announcement thread, but what caught my eye was the new FPS Test video that you see below. This project started off in January, so it's still pretty early on - especially for a solo project - but who doesn't love a good zombie-shooter?

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I'm waiting for Android UDK. Wondering if Epic will ever make it available.

I'm with you on this. But I'd rephrase it a bit - "I'm hoping for Android UDK."
After discussing this with a number of people I don't think it's that likely, anymore, since the hardware differs so much from one adroid device to another. But some sort of barebones version would be cool indeed :)

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Hardware is different on PC's and it works there :p

However I have a feeling that with tegra 2 it could easily be supported on a few handsets/tablets.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I love UDK.
A bit of a sidenote, but I think it's funny how everyone used to be complaining about UE3 bieng so desaturated. With UDK I'm starting to feel the other way around :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They don't have to complete any port work themselves. UE3 is already ported to Android. Any licensee can use that port.

It also pretty much works fine across all devices. I think when Epic talks about fragmentation on Android they are mostly talking about performance fragmentation, not hardware fragmentation.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
They don't have to complete any port work themselves. UE3 is already ported to Android. Any licensee can use that port.

Last time I checked, it wasn't exactly feature complete. Dungeon Defender's as an example had to manually handle a lot of the port work themselves. It's usable in it's current state, but there's still a lot missing (hell, there's a lot missing in the iOS version too).

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I love UDK.
A bit of a sidenote, but I think it's funny how everyone used to be complaining about UE3 bieng so desaturated. With UDK I'm starting to feel the other way around :p

When it comes to 50$ budget games, everyone wants to make the grey/brown 'realistic' fps. Indie games for smaller platforms tend to do the opposite. It really has nothing to do with UDK but with the developers.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
When it comes to 50$ budget games, everyone wants to make the grey/brown 'realistic' fps. Indie games for smaller platforms tend to do the opposite. It really has nothing to do with UDK but with the developers.

Haha, actually it's the grey and brown stuff that bothers me the most.
I'm not sure if colorful is the right word, but every UE3 game seems to have this gloomy feel to it. Some warm glow that's visible almost everywhere.
Not that it looks bad, but it's something I keep seeing in almost every UE3 game.
Even the default UDK maps have this pastel yellowish feel to them. It's very visible in GOW3.

I guess it's a byproduct of lightmass + color grading + fog + dof + bloom.
Actually those last 4 seem to fit the bill quite well.

So I guess it's not that it's colorful, rather then paradoxically feeling overly saturated on environment that are supposed to be more monochrome.

If that makes any sense... :lol:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It's because a lot of developers don't bother handling their own post processing and stick to the Unreal 3 defaults. As a result, the games will look the same to an extent due to the same image filtering being applied to them.