CompetitiveONS - New Gametype

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
Sofaking said:
Adjustable Node Control Interval {Default = 10sec}
Adjustable Points for Node Control {Default = 1.5}
Option to award points for optional side nodes {Default = False}
Adjustable Points for Power Core Destruction {Default = 50}
Adjustable Power Core Health {Default = 2000}
Option to switch sides after core destroyed {Default = False}
Option to allow Tie Games {Default = True}

What it does: you score 1.5 points per 10 seconds, per node you hold. This does not count for option nodes, but it does count for disconnected draining nodes. The example I like is that if you have both Tank nodes at Cross, but you've lost your Prime, while they hold their Pime and Center; you're still even.

Cores have the same damage value as nodes, this will promote faster gameplay and more rounds. If you destory a core you earn 50 points. Once destoryed a new round will begin in 10 seconds (with countdown "New round in, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1).

This is a new, still unnamed, game type. Suggestions there are welcome. Also, the actual rate of scoring, value, core value, etc is all still open.

By doing this, a tie game would be impossibly rare. So, you can now play both sides per Euro rules without the risk of a tie. Close games will seem a lot more close, and rapes will seem a lot worst. This is good and bad, but CAL like a system that demonstrates an appropriate gap. All current CAL games are one map, both sides. This also suits that style of play.

Fundamentally, all the core gameplay of ONS is untouched. What is touched however is that you no longer have a two minute game that's followed by a ****ty ten minute end game. Teams can and will want to rush the end game forcing the new round. Twenty minutes of non-stop action.

Now, the issues outstanding are as follows:
-Time. Should it be 20? 12 at the PL works well, but the PL's 12 is based on the fact that you have standard ONS. 20 minutes per side is common for TDM, CS:S, and other games.
-Score, 1.5 per 10 sec + 50 core? Plays well, but the core value maybe a little high. But as you play both sides you either control or you don't. I'm thinking core value at 50, but 1.5 per 5 rather than 10.

Outstanding bugs/issues/to-dos:
-Power-ups hold to the clock, they don't restart for new rounds.
-Gametype defaults at 2 players
-Create a system that will flip teams and their score after 20 minutes. Also dump back into warm-up. This way you can play seamlessly. May be impossible.

After the next beta I will make a public release. Please continue to help beta test and support.

DL here: http://puregaming.javanex.biz/puregaming/downloads/CompONSBeta2.zip

Play PUB here:
216.52.184.138:5620

Also on uMA 1 and Pony Show for PUGs/Scrims

- Sofaking, Onscentral.com

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
omgwtfzaffle stop calling it ONSDOM RGR

It SOUNDS similar to DDOM, but its more fun than normal ons imo, try it out.

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Tenkken said:
omgwtfzaffle stop calling it ONSDOM RGR

It SOUNDS similar to DDOM, but its more fun than normal ons imo, try it out.

DOM, not DDOM. Does sound cool though.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
So how is this a 'competitive' variant of ONS ???
Does it 'competitive' mean the modified variant sucks, but the creators only think it doesn't ?

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Sounds like a mix of DOM and ONS, I`d go in one certain direction. I have vehicle flag domination and ONS (surprise!) that`s enough fo rthe mom.

maybe if you get rid of destroyable cores?

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Players should be rewarded for making a team effort and not just hogging the flag for example. Your score in the end should reflect your contribution and not just how many frags you have made in game types other than DM or TDM. i like the idea of this gametype but it sounds like it needs to go a few steps further to reward players.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Our friends at Pure certainly have an interesting take on what it takes to make a good game.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
UTWARZONE
UTWAR
Node Master
UT Counter Strike
Node War

Edit: There should be a max score that a team can get. This max score would get smaller as the game drags on. So a team would want to end the game faster, so the score will be higher.

Last edited:

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Actually, ONS out of the box has a number of limitations as a competitive game type, and if you don't know what they are, then you haven't really played it competitively. Imo there's nothing wrong with someone trying to make the game better for a competitive environment.

Yeesh, sometimes the people here on BU are just as idiotic towards the competitive community as certain doorknobs from the competitive community are towards people who just prefer to pub.

Knee-jerk reactions, anyone?

Tenkken

Prizemoney
Oct 4, 2004
New York City
I didn't say it was a good mod, and neither did Sofaking. You need to try it out for yourself to see if you like it or not. It certainly does make up for a number of things the ONS community wants in stock ONS.

Huggy: Pure and Sofaking are two different affiliations. Its not like Sabotage or Hooloovoo helped make this mod.

Fro: good points... but... err.... don't you uh... NOT PLAY ONS. YEAH THAT'S RIGHT GTFO