Static Mesh Wishlist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster128

L337 Reincarnated Wool Sock +5
Jul 1, 2004
I need a snowy pine tree static mesh for a snow level I'm making, and it's possible this level might make its way into DA. Whoever does models and textures, please do this for me. Thanks in advance. :)

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
For reference, this is what it looks like (so far):

top_view.jpg

spectate2.jpg

spectate1.jpg

Eizo

DA Veteran Fan since 2000
Jun 26, 2004
Southampton, UK
www.larsenserver.co.uk
i can do it but your description is a bit funny

'snow pine tree'

1) Just a pine tree
2) Pine tree that has a few snowflakes on it
3) With leaves
4) Has a blanket of snow on it
5) Has snow accumulated at the bottom

help me out here :S

Also if anyone needs any of the SM's I created earlier for DA I do infact still have them

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
lol eizo... alright. first of all, pine trees dont have leaves. and of course spending time doing all the pinework would take up soo many polys. think of a traditional christmas tree, and yes snow on the bottom would be good, along with a light dusting on the tree itself. try using a snowy texture off of the alleria terrain texture pack for the base. im thinking the easiest way to do this would be to have all the branches and pine be aligned on the outsides of several cones... but I'm not the expert. Just do what modelers do, yeah know?

For those who like screenies, I have another screenie of the map so far:

Spectate3.jpg

I did this in the wee hours of the morning, and I think I did pretty good. It makes it looks like it actually IS mountains and foothills dusted in snow, instead of just unrealistic snow mounds. I love it.

The background music is most likely going to be "Survival MXN - Renewal and Deception". See if you can find it online and give it a listen, tell me what you think. Or suggest another music piece that would be appropriate.

Eizo, if possible, I'm going to make concept art (probably crappy concept art, but concept art) of the interiors I need (basic rooms, hallways, cooridors, stairs, etc.) and I would really appreciate it if you could see if you can model them once I post them up, or see if someone else can do it. The rooms, hallways, cooridors, and such should be modeled in a way that they can easily 'snap' together, if you know what I mean. This way, it would be possible to create an infinite amount of interior layouts, using different combinations of the items (think if it like a NWN tileset).

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
thanks. im pretty proud of it. im just not sure if its big enough for what you guys need, or whatever. but im taking my time on it, as to not mess anything up.

i got concepts of new models i need for the start on the interior bases, ill post them up as soon as I'm back home and can use the scanner. The only problem concerning that is what parts of the base are gonna be BSP, and which ones are gonna be SMs.

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
you should do it all in SM's, with the right amount of portals and anti-portals it'll run great and look twice as much better :)

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
well, then there is problem of making it move seemlessly from inside to outside. Unless you can cut parts of SMs away, it'll have to be carefully done. Because even though I want the outside to look 'custom', I still want to make each corridor and room an SM, to make more of a tileset approach.

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
more viewing pleasure, requested by Spec. This got some placeholder SMs in it, but I think it turned out pretty neat.

Spectate4.jpg

Spectate5.jpg

Spectate6.jpg

Spectate7.jpg

Spectate8.jpg

Last edited:

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
Update on the map. I've done a lot of thinking and planning on how to further enhance it, to make it an actual enjoyable map to play in. I'm sure each one of you have seen games in which only a few dozen maps are really played alot, because they have a feature that is attractive. I am pulling out my old book of philosophy, and trying to harness the power at my fingertips to make this map one of those maps.

My first enhancement: adding more curvature to the map, reconstructing once flat, elevated pieces of land into rolling hills.
agro4.jpg

Secondly: I have left some flat elevated pieces of land in, because I believe they still serve a use; trees go on top of the flat elevated pieces to make the scene look more organized, and constructed into the wall will be enterances for a cavern system underneath my map.

agro5.jpg

Basically, the idea of this is: the terrain you can successfully climb adds variety into the amount of tactics possible, and the number of approaches into a battle, while still providing good landscape to drive on, if vehicles do indeed get introduced into the game. The terrain you can't get on top of still has a purpose; to act as an obstacle, to block views, and to offer access to the cave system. Down in the caves I'm thinking of adding monster spawns and some storage areas for ammo and weapons. Maybe some large crystal ore deposits, for eye candy. To me, I thought it was a great idea to set it up this way.

Last but not least, I'm finally working on placing a base on top of that platform in the northern-east corner of the map. The outside will be made using all BSP. The enterance will be a warp zone into the interior, all comprised of static meshes. The idea behind the warp zone is that I can have a bigger inside area than the outside area enclosing it, giving me more room to work in.

agro1.jpg

agro2.jpg

agro3.jpg

I have two concepts for the interior and exterior of the base that I will be putting up on the forums soon. What I am asking for (sincerely) is someone who can put these snowy pine trees together for me (they are part of the method to my madness, just trust me on this one), and a modeler and an artist to later on help me with putting the interior together (modeler builds the things I need, artist puts the right paint job on it, and I place them accordingly to what I have drawn up). I would be really thankful to those who could help me. :D This time, I'm trying a different approah.

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
two of the textures used in the terrain is my work. and besides the painting, thats it, for now. note that most of the SMs in it right now are placeholders. and no, im no artist. and im not that good of a modeler either; my best work is in UED, with BSPs and terrain. why do you ask?

slobo04

DA2 Dev. Team - - Mapper - -
Feb 12, 2002
California
Rooster128 said:
two of the textures used in the terrain is my work. and besides the painting, thats it, for now. note that most of the SMs in it right now are placeholders. and no, im no artist. and im not that good of a modeler either; my best work is in UED, with BSPs and terrain. why do you ask?
just wondering because modelling now is a MUST for mappers... but i do see that you have a good base with bsp as well as gameplay layout... i just recomend learning modelling!

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
actually funny thing, i was trying out 3dsmax a lot today. im starting on my hoverbike first and foremost. using the old chip away at a cube routine, instead of putting different shapes together. i for one think its coming out good so far, looks like an H at the time being, but in no time this should start to shape up.

slobo04

DA2 Dev. Team - - Mapper - -
Feb 12, 2002
California
Rooster128 said:
actually funny thing, i was trying out 3dsmax a lot today. im starting on my hoverbike first and foremost. using the old chip away at a cube routine, instead of putting different shapes together. i for one think its coming out good so far, looks like an H at the time being, but in no time this should start to shape up.

every model ive made ive placed each vertice individually :)

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Rooster, that's starting to look much better, keep it up. I also agree with slobo about the modelling becoming more of a standard for mappers, but you already know that cause I tell you all the time :)

Slobo, you have too much time on your hands to be modelling by verticies alone you big silly :)