Team play

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
Well, i know that much has been writen about this topic, but i must add my opinion about this.
Well first, let me tell you about the game i played last night.
The map is chasm, pub server.
We started to play as the attacking team and we had many loses in the tunnel fight.
in the 3th round, we started to play as a team.
we moved in formation, with cover and we cleared the tunnel easly.
Let me tell you, that was one of those matches that you can play for ever!

Why am i teeling you all this?
I think that team play is all about the people that are playing with you.
If you are playing with rambo wanna be players , you will never have team play, even if you dicrease the running speed.
BUT, if you play with guys that want to play as a team, you will have a perfect team game, and even those rambo guys will be part of your team.
All you need is a leader to give orders to the team and guys with team spirit.

Tell me what you think.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
can't completely agree, Strike Force did a good job in promoting teamplay by simply making everybody as slow as thick **** uphill trough a sift :). Combined with the innacuracy when running it made it so that a sngle player could very simply be stopped by a player using cover. Even a group of 2 or 3 rambos could be stopped by a well covered player leading to the fact that people actually started using cover. Hiding behind crates lying prone behind railings etc. People also started sticking together more since it was the one way that ensured enough firepower to take out oposing players.

Camel_Toe(l)

Form Fitting
Mar 19, 2001
Not Toledo!
I agree with you 100%. Things can be done to "encourage" team play, but in the end it is who you play with! There will always be rambos, there will always be campers, and there will always be team players.

The best way, I found to out, to play as a team in inf, is to actually join one:D Best move I made with online gaming!

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
True...

You have a point there, The_fur and RL, and maybe with this things added to the game, people will start to play in team...

/me dream about this day...

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by RogueLeader
I agree with Fur. Making people move more slowly, and thus making them more susceptible to gunfire, is a great way to promote teamwork.

what the hell does them running have to do with being susceptible to gun fire?

If you can't aim well enough to hit a guy running that is fine, go get better. But don't ask the game to be changed cuz you don't know how to aim a weapon. I have no problem killing a running man. It is much much easier then killing someone that is prone.

You can make the people slow as hell in inf, you still ain't gunna find me walking with a teammate. Not unless the average inf player magically gets good.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
I agree with most everybody in this thread. As far as Fur goes the ability for a solo player to Rambo does kill teamwork. Accuracy while running means there is no real need for teammates covering your back, or a need to take cover and work in a group. Everybody can do everything, and because of that that's what they try to do whether they are good at it or not.

I do agree with the original post though. You noticed one thing that seems to go over many peoples heads. Map layout. Although in UT environments many ways to every locations, basically "maze maps" is a good thing, I think in INF this is somewhat of a drawback. Chasm is a great example. There are only really 2 paths to the enemy, and because of this everybody on each team funnels into these spots. Although I'm sure most people don't do it on purpose, teamwork happens on this map a lot simply because people are in such close proximity, because they don't really have anywhere else to go. In my latest map I'm working to keep this gameplay going by purposely limiting the pathways and cover between the two teams, essentially forcing everyone into bottlenecks but without the restricted feel of chasm. I think more mappers should give it a go because it's turning out quite nicely (though the real test is online play). Fewer paths, and they should be more open with far less cover for increased visibility, but still enough cover to prevent everyone from always being in the open.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Hey Carnivore I was on your team on that map. We were getting our asses whooped and we pulled together and made plans using teamtalk while we were dead and we ended up winning several rounds. I dont know if we won the match but there was a lot of teamwork going on at the end.

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
Hi man!

You are a Leader man!
i realy hope to play with you again!
we shure had some great game1
BTW-we won

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
My whole take on teamplay in games is that it is something that is very, very difficult to acheive. The most common way for developers to try to promote teamplay is by penalties or rewards. this isn't necissarily what a player wants, they want to be unique among their teammates, partially the reason that inf, cs, to, and all the other "realism" games don't end up having great teamwork on the pubs. everybody wants to be rambo because that person wants to be able to feel that he made some contribution to his team, other than being 1 of 5 guys shooting at somebody else. this is where the problem lies, and very few games have been able to successfully foster team play. I think one of the most succesful recent team games is tribes 2, and here's why. the vehicles in tribes can house multiple people, each with a specific role: one is a gunner, one a bombadier, one a pilot. because of this all people in that vehicle feel unique and special, just like our little rambo. how can the INF team foster teamplay? I have no idea. what I almost might say is best is to not penalize the players in any way, let time an experience prove to people on the pubs that teamplay is best.

just my 2 cents...

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
rgreene i agree.

You can't have a teamgame without some sort of class system. It just doesn't happen. That is the first step for any game to achive teamwork.

Individualism makes up a team. If everyone is everything you can't possibly need a team because you can do everything they can.

I personally don't see how inf could turn into a teamgame. Think of this. A robar has a far zoom, but in terms of what you can see, an acog does the same. Why would you ever need a robar over an m16? Sure, the guys might be a little bigger in your scope with the robar, but if you can aim well you have absolutly no use for a robar over an m16.You even get nades with m16 making it 100x more useful then a guy with a robar, nades and way more ammo with a much faster reload time. m16 makes the hk and the sniper rifles virtually useless.

The point of a robar IRL is it can shoot up to a mile away. Where you are virtually invisible to the enemy. Can you do that in inf? No, not even close. So is the use of the robar or psg portraied correctly in inf? no, and that makes them useless weapons. If you could actually see things the acog couldn't with a robar, then you would being to see some sort of teamgame immerge.

That is just one example, but it is a very valid one. You could apply this to grenades as well. Not everyone will carry a m16 and not everyone will carry a hk. But in inf everyone always seems to have a gl ready to spam whatever. That takes away from the teamwork aspect too.

All in all, they need classes. :)

Although inf is fine how it is imo. If i want to play a real team game, i play Team Fortress.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
The last few days I've been sticking closer to team mates than usual and got some real team work going. Its certainly a lot more fun, and often weilds better points if you do it well (despite common opinion).

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Teamplay really comes down to the players. Tonight I was on the MUF Super Server and it was on Kazakastan and we were getting masacred by 3 shotgunners that kept running through the warehouse and hitting us from the side. I told the team I needed some more backup the next round to stop them. The next round I was the only 1 defending there and 3 came through I got 1 but the other 2 got me. I repeated this for 2 rounds meanwhile asking my team to back me up. All I got in response was "stfu" or "Who cares". I was so fed up with the players on that server I left and went to the SK1 server and ended up haveing a great game (even though we lost). I guess the only thing that makes teamwork happen is the players. You can slow them down all you wont but if they are to pigheaded you will never get them to work as a group.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I'd much rather that players choose to use teamwork with INF, rather than INF being changed to force them to use team work. Sure slowing the game may force people to use teamwork, but it puts off a lot of players, as the current speed is fine.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
it works for SF and if inf is serious about being a team game just leaving it as an option is not the way to do it. INF will end up like CS.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I dont get it, working as a team works better then RAMBO!!! So why change INF???? All you need is a few teamplayers, and most peeps will do that 2 to survive...

It worked for me! i give cover when I see some1 is about to cross, when there is a sniper on my team I check his back every few mins...
I just hate it when no1 gives me cover when Im trying to cross and stuff... since most of yall agree that teamplay is the best way, try thinking in the importance of the team, and not urself from now of on...

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
Well...

As i said in the first post, its all about the people.

I.e, browncow.
This dude dont want to play team work, he likes the rambo style, so on servers he wont be a team player.
Or the example /=- gave (man you have to find another name!).
some people in servers could be rambo players no matter what, and the only thing they want is the higher score, so you wont have team play.